What all our choices have in common, besides starting with “P”, is that they have all travelled widely either in their life or in their journey to Manitoba and they all led long interesting lives – exactly what we’d wish for Princess’ & Pip’s chicks!
THESE NAMES WERE THE ONES CHOSEN
Jean Ann Purdie (1883-1991) – nurse, doctor’s wife.
Born at Edinburgh, Scotland on 18 April 1893, she came to western Manitoba with her family in 1910, when she was 17 years of age. She took nursing training at Neepawa, graduating in 1914, after which she worked at the Brandon Mental Health Centre. On 16 July 1918, she married Dr. F. K. Purdie and the pair moved to Griswold to practice medicine. The Spanish Influenza hit Griswold in 1918 and the Griswold School was turned into a hospital to accommodate the many patients. For three weeks she nursed the patients, then went on to Alexander to help set up an emergency hospital there. During the epidemic, she helped to treat 200 people, only two of which died.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – JA Purdie
Mrs Purdie was a tough lady – a great quality in a peregrine! Also, the Brandon Mental Health Centre used to be a favourite place for non-nesting peregrines to hang out during migration and occasionally through the summer if they were in the mood to stay.
Archie Reuben Pippy (1891-1968) – optometrist
Born at Toronto, Ontario on 21 August 1891, son of Levi Pippy and Jessie Moulton, he was working as an optometrist in Toronto when he married Sarah Jemima Macklem on 18 September 1915. In early 1917, he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War. After returning from overseas, he moved to Winnipeg where he practised as an optometrist for 45 years, retiring in 1966. He served as President of the Manitoba Association of Optometrists in 1929.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – AR Pippy
Peregrine falcons have amazing eyesight so an optomistist with a name that is a variation of this year’s Radisson male’s name meant it had to be added to the list!
Garnett Clay Porter (1866-1945) – journalist, raconteur.
Known popularly in contemporary Canadian newspaper circles as the “Colonel,” Porter was one of the West’s most colourful press personalities. Born at Russellville, Kentucky on 27 May 1866, he came to Canada at 34, leaving behind an adventure-filled past which included episodes as a legal counsel, Kentucky outlaw and feudist, soldier of fortune, and Yukon prospector. Settling in Toronto in 1900 he entered newspaper work and developed into an ace-reporter for the Toronto World. In 1904 Robert Edwards, the legendary and controversial owner of the Calgary Herald, persuaded Porter to become his Editor-in-Chief. Two years later the newly appointed Editor of the Winnipeg Telegram, (a building most of our chicks like to visit when they start venturing out – it is just north of the Radisson in the Exchange District) Mark Nichols, convinced the “Colonel” that the place to end his wanderlust was the Manitoba capital. At the Telegram Porter was appointed successively News Editor, Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chief. (read about the Krafchenko incident) Porter left the Telegram in 1916 and soon started his own news service: a one-man version of Canadian Press (CP) he called Porter’s International Press News Bureau. In December 1919 John “Black Jack” Robinson, editor of the true-blue and ultra-Tory Evening Telegram, remembering the Colonel’s skillful handling of other stories for the paper, gave Porter carte blanche on the sensational Ambrose Small story. Though he failed to solve the famous Toronto murder case, the assignment was a dream-come-true for Porter because he wrote a million words on the story for the Evening Telegram and hundreds of other newspapers and magazines. When the Winnipeg Telegram merged with its rival the Winnipeg Tribune in October 1920, the Tribune’s new Editor-in-Chief, Mark Nichols, immediately hired Porter. He served as President of the Winnipeg Press Club in 1926. The Colonel ended his newspaper career as a freelancer, writing a regular column “The Old-Timer Talks” for the Saturday Tribune supplement. He also continued freelance work specializing in crime stories especially written for American detective magazines. The day before he died the Colonel was working at his Tribune desk on copy for his next column. After his death, Tribune staff turned off the light on his desk and shrouded the typewriter with his old working jacket.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – GC Porter
* the site of the old Winnipeg Tribune Building is now a parking lot at the corner of Smith and Graham but construction will soon begin on SkyCity condo development – this image is looking southeast toward SkyCity with the Radisson Hotel a block to the left of the MTS Centre.
THESE NAMES WERE THE ONES NOT CHOSEN
Wilfred Gilbert Pearce (1893-1975) – educator, historian.
Born in England in August 1893, he emigrated to Canada with his parents in 1899. They settled at Ethelbert where his father was a railway section foreman, later moving to Minitonas. He began his teaching career at Aikenside School then worked for the Canadian Northern Railway until he was old enough to attend Normal School. After completing his teacher training, he taught at Bowsman School, Plumas School, Wellwood School, Oakwood School, and Rapid City School before moving to Winnipeg where his ﬁrst assignment was as Acting Principal at Alexandra School. He taught at Aberdeen School and Isaac Newton School until returning to Alexandra School as its Principal. While working, he took classes toward a BA degree and MA degree from the University of Manitoba, for the latter writing a thesis on teacher efficiency in one-room rural schools. He was later Principal at Pinkham School and Strathcona School. He retired in 1959 but returned to teach for four more years at Aberdeen School.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – WG Pearce
This biography has been shortened (really!) – do read the whole biography he really did live a fascinating life! = MHS’s Memorable Manitobans – JD (Jack) Perrin
John Draper “Jack” Perrin (1915-1992) – athlete, naval officer, entrepreneur.
Born at Winnipeg in March 1915, he was educated in Winnipeg public schools and at St. Andrew’s College in Aurora, Ontario. At St. Andrew’s, he participated in swimming, platform diving, cricket, golf, squash racquets, boxing, hockey and football. He played on First Hockey and was Cadet Commanding Officer in his graduating year. After high school graduation, he studied mining engineering at the University of Manitoba and McGill University, where he earned university leaders playing Varsity Hockey for the Bisons and the Redmen, respectively. He also played in Winnipeg with the CNR in the Big Four League and in Quebec with the Verdun Maple Leafs. He developed a reputation as a rushing (and goal-scoring) defenceman described in sports stories as “Mighty Perrin”. He also played junior football as a member of the Deer Lodge team when they won the western championship in 1936. While at McGill in early 1940, he interrupted his studies and hockey career to volunteer for wartime service in the Royal Navy. During the invasion of Italy, his warship was torpedoed and sunk. A strong swimmer, he was able to reach the coast. Separated from his shipmates, he eventually found room on a military flight to Egypt and from there he was flown back to London in midwinter, reporting to the Admiralty in his only clothing, his tropical white uniform with shorts. He was promoted up the ranks to Lieutenant. At the end of World War Two in 1945 he was discharged with the rank of Lieutenant (RCNVR). For his military service he was awarded the 1939-45 Star, the Atlantic Star, the Italy Star, the Defence Medal, the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Bar, and the War Medal 1939-1945. During his naval service, he had become friends with British actor Robert Newton who had suggested Perrin consider pursuing a show business career. After the war, he followed this advice in London, England where he appeared in stage productions in the West End and in a couple of feature films, performed as a club singer hosted a late night BBC radio programme in which he played romantic music and read poetry. During this period, he suffered a ruptured appendix and, having lapsed into unconsciousness, was rescued by Lipton’s daughter Celia, whom he had been dating. He was hospitalized with peritonitis but recovered and recuperated on the French Riviera. In London he had lived in a flat where he socialized with neighbours Lawrence Olivier and Vivian Leigh (who were living together at the time). He returned to Winnipeg in 1948 and was elected a Director of the San Antonio Gold Mines Limited and pursued various other business interests. Perrin was also involved in the community in roles such as fundraising for Winnipeg Children’s Hospital. In 1954, with the new Winnipeg Arena nearing completion, he was approached by W. Culver Riley, head of Winnipeg Enterprises, with the suggestion that Winnipeg needed a hockey team as anchor tenant in the new facility. As a former player and sports fan, and with the financial partnership of his father as President, he acquired a franchise in the minor professional Western Hockey League and took on the role of Vice President and General Manager in establishing the Winnipeg Warriors Hockey Club. The Warriors would require a supply of players, so the junior Winnipeg Braves were established and the St. Boniface Canadiens acquired. At the time, the Warriors represented the return of pro hockey to Winnipeg after an absence of 27 years (sounds like the Jets’ return!). Perrin was widely credited with contributing to a hockey renaissance among young people both in Winnipeg and across the province and he was a founding Director of the Greater Winnipeg Minor Hockey Association. Coached by Alf Pike and led by Bill Mosienko, the Winnipeg Warriors won the Edinburgh Cup as World’s Minor-professional Champions in 1955-56, and the 1958-59 Winnipeg Braves, managed by Bill Addison, remain to this day the last Winnipeg-based junior club to have won the Memorial Cup. (read more about Perrin’s involvement with hockey here) Upon the death of his father in 1967, Perrin inherited Beaudry Farm, which he had been in the process of purchasing over a number of years. A working farm of 2,000 acres, Beaudry featured five miles of Assiniboine River frontage and extensive natural river bottom forest, just west of Headingley. In 1975, Beaudry was expropriated by the Province of Manitoba and is now known as Beaudry Provincial Park. In 1979 Jack Perrin purchased the Fort Garry Hotel from Canadian National Railways, running it until 1987. Interestingly, his grandfather, William Perrin, had been a British regular in the Wolseley Expedition, marching into Upper Fort Garry, right across Fort Street, in August 1870. In August 1980, he hosted the national Premier’s Conference chaired by Manitoba Premier Sterling Lyon. An especially memorable visitor was Sir William Stephenson, the former Winnipegger and Spymaster code-named Intrepid, of Second World War fame, who presented Perrin with a personally-autographed copy of the biography A Man Called Intrepid.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – JD Perrin
Edwin Samuel Popham (1856-1930) – physician and surgeon.
Born at Ottawa, Ontario on 31 December 1856, son of George and Barbara Popham, he was educated at Victoria University (BA, MA) and served as the first Principal of the Brandon Collegiate before coming to Winnipeg in 1885 where he received an MD degree from the Manitoba Medical College. <p>He practised medicine at Winnipeg and also worked as Registrar of the Manitoba Medical College. He was a medical director for the Monarch Life Assurance Company (in the Boyd & Inglis Buildings downtown – both of which the peregrine chicks visit each year), was President of the Royal Canadian Securities Company, a director and Vice-President of the Standard Trusts Company, Vice-President of the Great West Permanent Loan Company, and a director of the Canada National Fire Company.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – ES Popham
Dr Popham and his family lived in a home at 555 River Avenue – there is an apartment block here now – and yes, it too has been visited by our peregrines over the years.
John Peter Pruden (1778-1868) – fur trader
He was born at Edmonton, Middlesex, England about 1778. He entered the Hudson’s Bay Company service as an apprentice in 1791, and sailed in the Company vessel Sea Horse to York Factory, where he was stationed until 1795. From then until 1808 he served on the Saskatchewan River at various posts. He spent the winter of 1808-1809 in Britain. He returned to take charge of Carlton House in 1809-1810, where he remained for four years as inland master in the Saskatchewan River District. After the union of the HBC and the North West Company he was appointed Chief Trader. He was in charge of Norway House from 1825 until his retirement in 1837, having been promoted to the rank of Chief Factor in 1833. After his retirement from the Hudson’s Bay Company he resided in the Red River Settlement. He was appointed to the Council of Assiniboia (pre-cursor to the Manitoba Legislature) taking the oath of office and attending his first session on 3 July 1843. He was made a member of the Board of Works on 19 June 1844, subsequently being appointed chairman on 28 June 1847. In the Red River census of 1843 he is recorded as having considerable property, namely 25 acres.
for more information: MHS’ Memorable Manitobans – JP Pruden
Carlton House (or Fort Carlton) at this time was just north and east of Saskatoon where a Manitoba peregrine by the name of Chaos is nesting!