Author Topic: Radisson - 2015 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 56143 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2015 / Jan - March
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 13:31 »
Has the cam gone live yet? I can only see the black screen.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 13:10 »
LOL! TPC.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 13:09 »
Smiley has "dated" all the women in town so until there is actually an egg in "his" nest, this year's mate could be anyone.

And I'm not sure Beatrix will make the run to downtown, she was pretty comfortable/confident out in West Winnipeg and has the whole place to herself.  Joli nests so close to the Radisson that the draw of the Hotel is, I suspect, almost more than she can resist if there isn't a female on-site.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 13:03 »
Please, please be Princess! If it is Beatrice, maybe she is just resting for the short hop to WW. Or, she is just visiting her place of birth. After all, "Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home".
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 13:47 by gemcitygemini »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2015, 12:50 »
Second Radisson Bird - best shots so far

("second" bird is on the left, "first" bird on the right)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2015, 12:47 »
First Radisson Bird - maybe Smiley

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58 »
Both birds are still at the Radisson.

If our first bird is Smiley (and it is likely), he's larger than Ivy or Trey so it may be that the second bird is female and maybe just not as large as Princess or Joli, but more like Beatrix in size.  The second bird is definitely not Princess, it/her head is completely dark and not Joli as the second bird has a whiter breast than Princess or Joli.

I'll post some screen captures.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 19:57 »
Say "thank you Dennis" ... he's the one that spotted a second bird downtown at the Radisson "talking" to the bird we believe to be Smiley.

I had a look on the recorder and a) couldn't see any bands, b) think the bird might be a male looking at his size both with the skycam and the ledge cam and c) noticed the bird has a hook shape on the hood pattern on his left side - only bird I remember with that kind of hook is Cowboy but that isn't a guess or even a suspicion of who this bird is, just that I remember Cowboy having a hook shape on his hood.  Really do wish these birds would be "share" their bands a bit more - the rest of the world is selfie-crazy, why can't these birds be too?  ::)

We'll keep watching ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 15:39 »
Exactly like angel wings ... fitting since they are ex-pigeons.
Sorry I was so absent this winter - lots of new work at the job that funds this little obsession of mine (ours?)

I think everyone understands that you must spend lots of time at your paying job so that once the birds arrive, you have 24hours a day to spend on this obsession of ours ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 14:55 »
1440h CDT

Bird is on the east side nest ledge making a huge mess of plucking a mid-afternoon meal.  Too many feathers to even see what the prey bird was. 

I can't tell if it is the bird we think is Smiley though that is the most likely.  I'm using the spycam and looking down 16 floors but right before the bird flew away it almost seems like there is a pattern on the back of the bird's head but it could just be the shape of the head as it moved in the shade.  And no, the pattern (if there is one) isn't light enough to be Princess' and I only saw or thought I saw something for a couple of seconds before the bird bolted.  So far neither Dennis nor I haven't seen any other birds in town during site checks or on-camera so likely still just the one bird at the moment and my eyes are playing tricks on me.

No confirmation of the Radisson bird's band number but we got close this afternoon thanks to Dennis!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 14:37 »
Like Angel wings :)

I missed you TPC!

Exactly like angel wings ... fitting since they are ex-pigeons.
Sorry I was so absent this winter - lots of new work at the job that funds this little obsession of mine (ours?)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 12:55 »
Like Angel wings :)

I missed you TPC!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 09:39 »
0940h CDT

Bird sitting on the north side Rogers sign on the "s" preening.

He seems not to like to sit in the sun.  He doesn't (at the moment) visit the nestbox in the afternoon, just mornings and evenings.  Same thing on the east side - last year and so far this year - he doesn't sit in the sun on the Radisson sign. 

And he's been making a mess on the nestledge - lots of prey remains and feathers.  He seems to have a preference for light (white/almost white) pigeons - there are a few wing sets lying there. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 09:25 »
More great news - Radisson cameras are back online.  A big thank you to Eye-Spy and the folks from Shaw!!!

Yes, peregrine back.  Yes, looks like one of our resident birds - Smiley we think - band is black over green with a W. Haven't had a chance to see the numbers on the green yet but it is looking more and more likely that it is him.  Interestingly, his behaviour is calmer this year, less itchy-n-scratchy always preening.  More like an experienced resident male, which of course he is, but now he is looking more like it.  Bit early for Princess' return but if she holds to tradition, sometime in the next 10 days.  Having said that, she's an older lady and she may not make it back so we'll have to wait and see I'm afraid.

Cooper - your spotter friends were quite right, there was a bird back last week - first sight of him at the box was on March 10th.  I've got some short video clips downloaded and will put them up on YouTube this evening.  We had some other visitors this winter too and I'll post their clips as well.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 11:25 »
great news . Hope it is one of your favorites :)

man, I am not ready yet in Edmonton. they are usually a tad bit later