Author Topic: Manitoba Peregrines - Family Tree  (Read 8407 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Manitoba Peregrines - Family Tree
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 06:45 »
I miss him too and half thought he'd just turn up out of the blue this year.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 20:02 »
That may be, but we still miss our RockStar.
We do, indeed, dupre. ;)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 19:52 »
That may be, but we still miss our RockStar.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 18:07 »
Sounds like the passive guys have nothing to prove. They sneak in and impress the ladies.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 14:30 »
Ivy is a very "English" female name but Ivy got his name because he is fourth (IV) generation Radisson male.  And yes, his name is spelled "Ivy" not "IV", the latter is just too impersonal.  Took a chance naming him this, no way to know if he would survive to actually be a fourth generation breeding Radisson bird.   

How will you decide when to "take a chance" and specially name a Radisson male chick of the fifth generation, since Ivy (the fourth generation) is now a breeding
Radisson bird.

I don't really name birds with an eye to name each generation, T-Rex's band was 1/X and he reminded us of the Jurassic Park velociraptors - in fact, the movie came out the day before we went to band chicks of his and my boss at the time got pummelled by this tiny furious peregrine.  The name was a no-brainer I'm afraid, bird never changed.   Trey got his name because he came back the year after hatch just like his dad and he was actually named for being third generation male to come back - not because he was third generation at the Radisson.  Ivy got his name more because he had a V in his band and I often try phonetics for band numbers but there really isn't a phonetic for a sideways 8.  Considering half or more of all chicks don't make it through their first year, it could have been a wasted name.  Having said that, there was a bird we didn't name who I thought was a slam-dunk to replace T-Rex but he crashed into a building here in town when he was three.  A bird I knew would replace Trey was Sherpa but he too died in a fluke accident when he was six.  So much more competent birds died while Ivy, who is a bit of a passive bird, survives to take over the Radisson - maybe because of his name?  Who knows.

In any case, no immediate plans to name a fifth generation as such, but we'll see.  Maybe there will be a bird that just jumps out and says "name me"!!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 14:10 »
Ivy is a very "English" female name but Ivy got his name because he is fourth (IV) generation Radisson male.  And yes, his name is spelled "Ivy" not "IV", the latter is just too impersonal.  Took a chance naming him this, no way to know if he would survive to actually be a fourth generation breeding Radisson bird.   

How will you decide when to "take a chance" and specially name a Radisson male chick of the fifth generation, since Ivy (the fourth generation) is now a breeding
Radisson bird.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 21:58 »
Very interesting about Sewage Sue.  I happened to be wearing one of my tshirts today and actually commented to Doug that I wondered how on earth
A name like Sewage Sue could happen!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 20:41 »
Thanks for answering my question about Trey & Madame's 2000 & 2001 chicks, TPC. :) Also, really interesting story about "Sewage Sue". :-X (lips sealed and nose plugged!) :P ::)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 20:36 »
Thank you. Not a very nice name but a very interesting story. I thought there must be something behind it.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 20:09 »
This is a question for TPC. I was having a lot of fun going back through the Manitoba peregrines in the Midwest Peregrine Database and came upon a 1994 peregrine from Portage la Prairie named "Sewage Sue". Do you know how she got her name?

Ah, Sewage Sue.  Sewage Sue was a captive-bred chick from the CWS Wainwright breeding facility in Alberta that we hack released from a site in Portage la Prairie in 1994.  Shortly after fleding, we believe she clipped a vehicle on the Portage la Prairie overpass but managed to land in one of the lagoons in the Portage la Prairie Waste Treatment Plant which probably saved her from more damage.  Fortunately it was the last stage treatment pond, so while she was covered in bits, they were harmless bits.  They looked and felt like dark brown crushed leaves, kinda cool actually.  She was fished out without further damage and I brought to a vet clinic here in Winnipeg for treatment.  Took us 3 days of washing her every 5-6 hours to finally get all the bits out of her feathers.  She broke her shoulder which healed she was not releasable so we arranged for her to live at a conservation/breeding centre in Ontario.  The story is that she fell in love with the human manager of the Centre.  An exciting start, a messy middle and a happy ending.  The perfect story.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 19:57 »
I was just reading through the Family Tree link and see where in 2000, Trey & Madame hatched one chick but it did not fledge. Then again, in 2001, they hatched 4 chicks, in their first nest, but none of them fledged. So I was just wondering, what ever happened to all of these chicks, TPC? ???

Sorry for the delay on this one ... The weather was cold and wet and Madame and Trey were using the nestledge.  There was a rain storm, but it was tiny compared with the storm we had in 2009 and wouldn't have been a problem except that the weather had turned very cold and windy and the chicks died in the night before we even knew they were in trouble.  That was when we knew we could have real problems with this nestsite.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 18:34 »
This is a question for TPC. I was having a lot of fun going back through the Manitoba peregrines in the Midwest Peregrine Database and came upon a 1994 peregrine from Portage la Prairie named "Sewage Sue". Do you know how she got her name?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 20:05 »
I was just reading through the Family Tree link and see where in 2000, Trey & Madame hatched one chick but it did not fledge. Then again, in 2001, they hatched 4 chicks, in their first nest, but none of them fledged. So I was just wondering, what ever happened to all of these chicks, TPC? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 21:55 »
Lucy was named by a young fan of the peregrines ... she didn't know why "Lucy" just that the chick looked like a Lucy  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 19:28 »
Ah! Yes, that helps alot. Thanks.  :) Now that you mention it, I seem to recall the IV reference, Ivy being a 4th generation Radisson male. So Ivy's and Lucy's sister is Finity... interesting explanation for her name. And now that leads me to another question, TPC. How did Lucy get her name? ???