Author Topic: Manitoba Peregrines - Family Tree  (Read 8408 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Manitoba Peregrines - Family Tree
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 16:09 »
Easiest question first ... we haven't named all the birds in our Project over the years.  Most have in recent years because of increased public interest in the birds and that more of our birds are nesting/sighted elsewhere.  Ivy's and Lucy's is Finity - her band number is sideways 8 (the sign for infinity) over Y.  Calling her Infinity was just courting disaster, the only time a peregrine is infinite is when its dead.

Ivy is a very "English" female name but Ivy got his name because he is fourth (IV) generation Radisson male.  And yes, his name is spelled "Ivy" not "IV", the latter is just too impersonal.  Took a chance naming him this, no way to know if he would survive to actually be a fourth generation breeding Radisson bird.    Trey got his name the same way - Trey was/is Radisson male III generation.  Ivy's band number is sideways 8 over V, so Ivy is also a good mnemonic.  Sometimes the bands are the reason for the names, sometimes its another reason.

Does that help?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 14:08 »
I'm not sure if this is where I should post this question, but I was wondering how Ivy got his name? ??? Cilla Kinross, Project Coordinator for the recovery project in Orange, NSW, Australia asked me about Ivy, since Ivy is traditionally a female name. Was it that you thought that Ivy was a female at the time of banding, TPC? I went to the Family Tree and noted that Trey & Princess hatched Ivy in 2005, along with Lucy and another female chick. And I myself am wondering why the other female chick was not named? ???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 12:21 »
TPC answered this awhile back so I'll just repost what she said:

Most peregrine don't live into their teens, heck half don't make it to their first year.  Most that do make it to year 2 don't make it past 10 years old.  That applies for males and females.  Oldest bird in the wild is I believe a male who made it to 19 years plus some months I believe.  Survivorship for Falcon peregrinus anatum is about 80% per year after second year.  That means that at year 10, 11% of all the birds hatched that same year are still alive, at year 20, only 1% are still alive.  Median age is 4.5 years for both genders.  Most of our breeding birds last a wee bit longer than that.  

And I will add this to TPC's post :  Sir James in Richmond, Virginia is the oldest peregrine alive right now in the wild that we know of - he is 20 this year!!  Here is an article on him from last year when he broke the record at 19, he's just awesome!!  This year, he and his mate Elizabeth produced 5 chicks again!!  there are also a few famous pairs down in the US that are between 12-16 years of age, we have a female here in Toronto from the US that turned 12 this year - but these falcons are the exception to the rule.  As TPC and the James articles state - average lifespan is only 4-5 years of age. 

http://www.ccb-wm.org/news/2009_JanApr/james_peregrine_nineteen.htm

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:25 by carly »

Offline ShoeChick

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 11:53 »
I just had a read through this thread and followed the link to the Raddison family tree.  I see that Trey was born in 1996 which would have made him 13 last year when he fathered his last nest that we are aware of. 

This got me to thinking how long can Peregrines live?  I know that there are several factors involved, so maybe the better question would be what is the longest that they are known to have lived? 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:56 »
WOW! It's going to take me awhile to get my head around all of these connections, although, very interesting! :o

You ain't seen nothing yet  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20 »
WOW! It's going to take me awhile to get my head around all of these connections, although, very interesting! :o

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 22:03 »
Thank you Tracy.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 23:59 »
Tracy, I know you are probably very busy, but I am just wondering where Holly is from?

Holly is from Fargo, North Dakota.  The nestbox on First Community Bank.

Her father, Dakota Ace was once paired with Goldie from Omaha, who was the offspring of Winnie who was paired with Zeus at the Woodmen Tower in Omaha (the same Zeus who is still there).  Winnie is a Winnipeg chick, her parents were T-Rex and Burnsie - T-Rex was from our first nest at the Radisson and Burnsie was a captive-bred bird hack released in Brandon.  Nice symmetry - released from Brandon, through Winnipeg, to Omaha, then North Dakota and back to Brandon.  Interestingly, one of Holly's kids is Terminator who is back in North Dakota and who has been paired with two of Dakota Ace's sons (by another female) - Bear & Roosevelt.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 21:04 »
Tracy, I know you are probably very busy, but I am just wondering where Holly is from?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 18:08 »
I have started adding family trees to the Project website ... http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/p-trees.html

The links are on the right

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 00:38 »
I generally put family tree "stuff" in the applicable threads - i.e., Trey's tree is under Radisson Peregrines etc. 

As for using icons and sighting information, that's a winter project I'm afraid.  I am working on family trees for all our birds in a format that is easy to update as new information comes in and which is easy to understand - either graphically and/or textually.  Since we have over 200 birds released here in Manitoba and there is no central registry for the chicks produced away by Manitoba peregrines, it takes more than a little work to track down who, what, where and from whom - but I'm working on it ...

At the moment, Manitoba peregrines nesting elsewhere are included under Manitoba Peregrines - for example, Radisson in Edmonton is under Manitoba Peregrines instead of with the rest of the Alberta peregrines under Canadian Peregrines.  I try to include background on the birds and their offspring in each board.

At the moment, that's all I can provide, only so many hours in the day I'm afraid ...

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Manitoba Peregrines - Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 16:50 »
Hi TPC,

I'm fairly sure that I saw this somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it now.

Perhaps this could have it's own forum. You know, one that is locked and only you post there with information and updates.

If it were listed on the main menu with the rest of the Manitoba Peregrines section that would make it so easy to find.

It would be really great if within the family tree any sightings were listed and maybe have icons for the ones that have nested elswhere, have video on them, etc.

Thanks!