Author Topic: AB / Calgary - U of Calgary - 2009-16  (Read 32868 times)

Offline AnimalLover

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2010 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 21:48 »

I was just on Ustream and found this new cam it's a great cam!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/u-of-calgary-peregrines

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2010 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 14:17 »
From the site:

The nest area on Craigie Hall, despite the construction all around, has once again become the residence for the falcons and over the weekend of April 24/25, an egg was laid. Between the 26 and the 27th a second egg was laid, and we hope to have more this week. Due to the inclement weather it is difficult to impossible to see how many eggs the adult is sitting on.  Although we have managed to install a live web cam, the transmission isn't working well. We hope to have it running properly soon, so pls. refer to this web page for that link.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Calgary - U of Calgary - 2010 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 21:43 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

This website doesn't have a webcam (yet) but since we have one Manitoba peregrine nesting in Alberta, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on all the province's known pairs.

2010 will be this site's 15 year of occupancy.  This is the only link we have so far for information on this site but we will update it as needed.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jilek/Peregrine_Falcons/

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2009 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06 »
Thanks for the information TPC.
I am gong into my fledge watch hoping that we can keep them safe. By that I mean, if one comes to the ground we can rescue it,or if one gets injured ,we can get it assistance right away.  I also realize that there are things out of my control.Like what happened in Calgary.  So fingers crossed and what will be will be.

We're all there with you Bev...good luck!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 23:30 »
Thanks for the information TPC.

I am gong into my fledge watch hoping that we can keep them safe. By that I mean, if one comes to the ground we can rescue it,or if one gets injured ,we can get it assistance right away.  I also realize that there are things out of my control.Like what happened in Calgary.  So fingers crossed and what will be will be.

Offline LouLouBelle

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 22:55 »
it just shows that no matter how much you plan, there are perils that cannot be removed, too bad. From a watcher's point of view, there is so much investment in watching and bonding and hoping that it is difficult to accept but from weird virus's to buildings, perils exist and take their toll. I choose to celebrate all the survivors and think about the numbers that are definitely going in the right direction due to peregrine project members who do all the things that need to be done to assist the population.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 23:24 »
Just a note ...

There is usually a difference between window collisions involving adult birds and window collisions involving young birds.  Dimming/turning-off the lights, decals, window coveringes, etc will help with the former particularly during migrations, but won't do a darn to prevent collisions by most new fledglings - its not a case of "can't see the window" so much as "oops".  I'm being a bit flip, but fledglings tend to not have problems avoiding windows, but rather that they have trouble avoiding buildings and we like our buildings with lots of windows.

So if you are talking about the fledgling that died, it would be more accurate to say she hit a building, not a window.  By the dates of the posts/photos, she was inexperienced so it doesn't matter if it was concrete or glass, she was going to hit it.  It could have been an error on her part, she could have hurt herself (sprain/strain) and been unable to exhibit the fine control necessary, or she could have caught a cross-draught or gust of wind or she just could have not understood the danger the building posed.  We had one of those, bird took its first flight flew directly into a window on the Canada Post building (think that was one of the times the peregrines used the east-side roof nestbox that was removed many years ago), went into rehab for a month or more, was released from the Hotel when s/he had fully recovered and had learned how to hunt on her/his own.  Within seconds, it flew into the same window and this time killed itself on impact.  That building has lots of glass but it wasn't the glass that was the problem, in this case it was the bird.

I should note that hunting peregrines crash into all sorts of things, including the ground - experienced adult peregrines have killed themselves by stooping on a duck or somethng similar and driving them both to the ground and killing both on impact. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 08:20 »
The window imprint made me cringe. I wish they'd left that out. Very sad but thankfully very quick.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 01:04 »
Sue, this is the University of Calgary nest they are talking about not the U of A nest.
Our chicks are due to fledge sometime next week and my fingers are crossed.so are my toes and other things   ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 01:02 »
If you saw that window the female crashed into , it was floor to ceiling glass.
I have been trying to get them to put some decals on windows like that , at least. But who am I to them.
We do have some colorful flags in some of the pedways, but not the one by the clinical science. and why you ask. Because we have the new Heart building close by.  GRRRRR

I am so worried about the glass at our site.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 23:01 »
Here is some more information on the glass coating I mentioned. The link provided still does not work for me.

The deaths of billions of birds annually due to collision with window glass can be reduced through simple measures including dimming lights in buildings at night, landscaping changes, and using window coverings that make glass more visible to birds, reports a bird expert writing in The Wilson Journal of Ornithology.

Conducting experiment with different types of firm on plastics and glass, Daniel Klem Jr., an ornithologist at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania, found coverings that create visual "noise" can dramatically reduce bird-window collisions without drastically increasing costs or impeding visibility for humans relative to conventional glass. The most effective covering was a new exterior film with evenly spaced ultraviolet (UV)-reflecting and UV-absorbing patterns, which can be seen by birds but not humans.

"When this film is available for use it will save billions of bird lives annually after existing windows are retrofitted worldwide," Klem told mongabay.com. "The long-term solution to saving birds from windows is to use similar effective patterns as a permanent coating to sheet glass used in new construction."

Klem's research found one in four strikes leave no evidence of a collision on a window, suggesting overall estimates are conservative. Collisions are most frequent at ground level during daylight hours when birds mistake window reflections for habitat and fly into them, says Klem. But large numbers of birds are also killed flying into windows at greater heights.

"Birds behave as if windows are invisible," he said.

Death from collisions with glass is thought to be the largest source of worldwide bird mortality after habitat loss. In the United States up to a billion birds a year are estimated to be killed in collisions, outranking deaths from domesticated cats (hundreds of millions), hunting (120 million), vehicular collisions (60 million), and encounters with wind turbines (400,000). Thus making windows more visible to birds could significantly contribute to reducing accidental bird death on a global scale.

But other measures can also cut collisions, according to Klem's research in New York City during the 2006 and 2007 migration seasons. Klem and colleagues found that landscaping and architectural alterations, including eliminating shrubs and trees from areas in front of buildings, minimizing ground cover, and reducing the use of clear and reflective sheet glass, could save some of the estimated 34 million birds that perish annually in North American cities due to collisions with glass during the fall and spring migratory periods.

Other studies have shown that turning off building lights at night can also help birds, especially for migratory birds that fly under the cover of darkness and can be distracted from their flight paths by urban lights. A number of cities now promote programs to dim or turn off lights in office buildings at night to protect birds and conserve power.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 20:49 »
It is so very sad to lose one of the fledglings, and once again to a building collision.  :'( I was reading about a new kind of treatment for glass  - a coating which is visible to birds, but not to humans. The link crashed my computer, so I'll try to access it again later.

Offline LouLouBelle

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 20:44 »
check the cbc website for Calgary, big article about the poor girl...

Offline Sue

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 20:27 »
I saw the CBC story as well. I checked the forum on the U of A nest and according to the postings the chicks have not yet fledged. I am wondering if the accident maybe happened in a previous year. Maybe TPC could clarify.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 15:07 »
Sad news... one of the female University of Calgary fledglings died, flew into a glass window and broke her neck.

Oh my goodness! This is very sad news!  :'( And to think that it could have happened to our girl in downtown Winnipeg, Vesper!