Author Topic: News: Other Falcons  (Read 16270 times)

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: News: Other Falcons
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 15:56 »
Reading about it was plenty enough for me, signed

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 05:48 »
signed the petition but just can't read about it or watch it.  It disturbs me too much.
Same for me as well.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 13:31 »
signed the petition but just can't read about it or watch it.  It disturbs me too much.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2013, 18:42 »
Signed the petition... won't watch.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 14:17 »
Read and watched, senseless murder. >:(  I signed the petition.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2013, 21:11 »
Thank you for the specific instructions, TPC.

I hadn't wanted to click any link when you first mentioned the disturbing pictures.

Now I have signed the petition, and avoided the video. 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2013, 12:04 »
After opening the first link, which was heartwrenching, I immediately closed it and cried. :'(

When I opened the email it was because it was about a falcon with the transmitter that was migrating astounding distances.  The reason I posted it here was because of how lucky (or smart) she was to be able to make these migrations successfully!

If you can't bear to open the links, avoid the first 3 but open the petition and do not play the video.  The page provides a little information and the opportunity to act by signing a petition - and not just a petition, you can add a note as well. 

Remember environmentalists are often viewed as extremists these days (even by our own federal government at times) so if you do leave a message in support of the petition, remember you can "catch more flies with honey".  Doesn't mean you don't plan to hit them with a rolled-up newspaper but you have to get them to come close and not be afraid of the "newspaper".  Often its just a case of how you word it - i.e., don't let them see the newspaper!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 05:10 »
After opening the first link, which was heartwrenching, I immediately closed it and cried. :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 09:47 »
I also meant to include on my original post that I apologize for not being able to start the year off with a happier "news" story.  :'(

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 06:00 »
Absolutely horrendous.  :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2013, 20:43 »
Here's a disturbing email from one of the birding loops I belong to ... our peregrines have enough dangers to face, glad their migration route is limited to the Americas!!

NOTE, PHOTOS ARE DISTURBING

One of our satellite-tracked Amur Falcons, an adult female, was fitted with a 5g tag in early January 2010 in South Africa. This spring it was tracked for the third time over the Indian Ocean to its breeding grounds some 470 kms west of Peking in China. It left the area during the first half of October to arrive on 4 November at Doyang reservoir in eastern India, now world famous for the slaughter of theses small falcons - see

http://www.conservationindia.org/campaigns/amur-massacre

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/newsitem.asp?c=11&cate=__13205

http://www.birdlife.org/community/2012/11/help-required-to-end-hunting-massacre-in-nagaland-india/

120,000-140,000 birds are estimated to be killed every year at this largest congregation anywhere in the world.

*Please sign a petition:*
https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/please-stop-amur-falcon-massacre-in-nagaland-india

Our bird had already visited the area last autumn.  We had again anxious days. Would the female survive? Finally on 14 November she left the area to start crossing the Indian Ocean on 17 November some 400 kms south of Mumbai (Bombay). This is further south than in the previous years.

We just received the last fix for 20 November 6.47 h (GMT), when she was only  240 kms from the coast of Somalia in East Africa. Two years ago she arrived in Somalia on 21 November and on  22 November in 2011. The crossing of the ocean occurs considerably further south this year.

After almost three years, this falcon must be the world champion as for long-term satellite tracking of a small bird with a 5 g PTT.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 22:50 »

Same kind of band as Jules  ;)
And glad to here this bird appears to be doing as well as Jules

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 21:11 »
!!! Some additional photos of the wayward Gyrfalcon escapee hanging out in Scarborough’s east end.

........given that the Gyrfalcon was produced in captivity and is privately owned as evident by the much smaller breeders type leg bands on its legs.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/11/sightings/some-additional-photos-of-the-wayward-gyrfalcon-escapee-hanging-out-in-scarboroughs-east-end/

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 21:12 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 18:52 »
Rare white falcon spotted at Scarborough shopping mall

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1286192--rare-white-falcon-spotted-at-scarborough-shopping-mall

Another very interesting story! Sounds as if the bird is an "escapee". Would he/she be owned by a falconer? I wonder how they plan to capture her? ???

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 18:37 »
Exhausted kestrel hitches ride back to shore on sailor's shoulder after flying 25 miles out to sea

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230410/Exhausted-kestrel-hitches-ride-shore-sailors-shoulder-flying-25-miles-sea.html#ixzz2C2hhXcAh

What a great story! Thanks for posting, RCF. :-*