Author Topic: ON / Etobicoke - Bloor & Islington / 2008-21  (Read 64493 times)

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Etobicoke - Sun-Life - 2008 / Screech, Sunny & Perry
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 11:41 »
The web site is showing previously recorded video of the falcons this year..showing it right from eggs to babies... I did a double take when I put the cam on and there were eggs.. ???  !!

nice to see it again, and makes me anxious for spring.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 15:48 »
I wonder where they will end up.

Me too ;D   ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 09:19 »
I did not realize you were so close to this site Carly. thought I would take a gander through the site and there you are :) :)

I have followed this site for a few years.  I am glad you got Ito see 2 of your your juveniles. that is so cool 8) 8)

I wonder where they will end up.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 09:07 »
Mom is back on the webcam and Sunny is around the corner munching on a pigeon breakfast!!!  Mom is not chasing her off, she's just basking in the sun in all her glory  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 06:57 »
Sunny is home!!!  I went to do my usual morning check on mom before I came upstairs and imagine my surprise when I saw a brown/black bird instead of a white/black one!!!  Immediately got the binoculars out of my pack and there she was!  I can tell the difference between her and Screech just due to sheer size and Sunny is a bit rounder whereas screech is longer.  No sign of my little Perry though, at first I was hoping it was him as I haven't seen him in so long but unless he's gained a ton of weight.  Couldnt' see the leg bands but just a visual guess..I'd say Sunny.

Imagine that!!  October 2nd!  I wonder if she came by to say good bye?  No sign of mom or dad at all today yet but it's still early, I will go out and check again in a bit.  She flew off the nest box and over the buildings in a circle and then landed on the corner of our building where I got another good look at her face...so beautiful!!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 20:47 »
Beautiful photos of a gorgeous Peregrine.  So sad about Gunner.   :(  :'(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 13:48 »
It's an interesting day today, lots of different birds starting the migration trip and are passing overhead.  Angel and Marco are both by the nest cam today looking very alert and there is always one of them by the nest every time I've checked..not usual to see them so close together so often outside of mating/breeding season. 

Then I noticed 6 red tailed hawks sitting over on a very high hydro cable..at first I thought I was seeing things but I went up closer and could clearly see they were hawks.  I'm guessing they may be ever more vigilant in the next weeks with all the birds heading eastwards. 

*Our offices are in the west end of the city but near the lake and this area is very green compared to the downtown area so we see alot of birds here that you normally wouldn't see or notice in the city core.  I'm guessing they follow the lake area to head east which is why I can see red tail hawks at work!!  I've never seen 6 together before, 1 or 2 flying by and that's usually because Angel will start alarming if one flys over her ledge..lol..then I notice!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 13:56 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 22:34 »
Carly, thank you for the good news about Screech at Etobicoke! I am so glad you saw her, and that she looks good and is eating well.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 22:32 »
I'm glad you posted this, Carly - I just came over here to post the same info. It is especially sad to lose Gunner since he was the only chick who hatched this year, and he had been doing so well. He was an extremely handsome little juvie.  :'(

A few pics of Gunner:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 16:18 »
I know we don't have a post for Port Colbourne but the sole juvie there, little Gunner was put down the CPF site says  :'( :'(.  He was the son of Millie and Freedom (one of Mariah's kids).  Apparently he colided with either a car or structure and severly damaged one of his wings so they had to put him down.  *sigh* Such a bad summer for the little boy peregrines. 

Although I'm happy the females continue to thrive, it saddens me that we keep losing so many males - that means more nest box competition which is not good. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 13:21 »
Unfortunatly I don't own a good enough camera otherwise I would have taken pictures of them.  The only pictures of them as Juvies are the ones on the CPF site before they fledged  :( :(  If you go to the etobicoke site and click on the 2008 photos link, you can see all 3 there just before they fledged -they're all quite beautiful! 

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 12:35 »
Wow Carly ;D  It is wonderful that you have seen Screech.  Your descriptions of this family are wonderful.  I recall seeing a banding pictures of her and her siblings. Are there any photos around of the grown up Screech?

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 22:37 »
Every time another pair is seen together at their nest site or described as chupping to each other, it makes me misty eyed at the hope and thought of the promise implied for next spring.
Isn't Mother Nature grand!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 21:04 »
This is great news!  Thanks so much, Carly. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 15:48 »
Screech is in the house!!!.  The last 2 mornings our not so little girl Screech was spotted on dad's usual perch on top of the ADP sign - she was parked on the 'P' both mornings.!!  She even went over to mom's ledge at one point and mom seemed okay with it  :-* :-*  It's been awhile since I've seen any of the young ones so this was a really nice surprise.  She looked good, big and strong and she was munching on a pigeon this morning  ;D

This afternoon dad was on mom's web cam perch and then a few minutes later mom flew in and they chupped at each other a bit (I could hear it from the street, they are so loud...lol) and then dad flew off to the condo next building over!