Author Topic: Videos: Peregrine Falcons  (Read 21695 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Videos: Peregrine Falcons
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 18:22 »
Friend at work sent me this link ... has three photos, two from very unique angles ....

http://kottke.org/13/05/peregrine-falcon-killing-a-duck-in-mid-air

not particularly graphic ...
Even though we already know this......they truly are amazing!!  

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 11:24 »
Friend at work sent me this link ... has three photos, two from very unique angles ....

http://kottke.org/13/05/peregrine-falcon-killing-a-duck-in-mid-air

not particularly graphic ...

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 11:06 »
Wow, to see the bird diving at such incredible speeds, is amazing.

It gave me a glimpse into the world of our peregrines when they are off camera.

Thanks.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 21:51 »
I don't think that this is a Peregrine as it is nesting in a tree but what a neat story. It's unbelievable how fast these birds dive bomb this guy. I guess they don't like his hat! Thanks for posting this.

Last year, my son had a similar situation delivering mail in River Heights. He said the bird looked like a falcon, but flew up into a tree. The photo he sent me was forwarded to TPC and she thought it most likely was a merlin. It did look like a falcon. My son has a knack for attracting birds. This year, delivering mail in St James, he was dive bombed by a crow. ;D ;D

Me thinks, one has got to watch and respect where one walks!   ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 11:37 »
Falcon attacks mailman

The bird in Texas could have been a merlin but since they don't make nests of their own they would have needed to use another bird's nest.  Might also have been a Coopers Hawk - they build their own nests in similar kinds of habitat, have a similar profile with falcons, are bigger than Merlins but more streamlined than peregrines.  None of the photos showed the profile well enough nor the markings well enough to be sure.  I think both Merlins and Coopers Hawks go that far south, but I don't know about nesting ... going to have to do some investigating I think ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 11:34 »
I don't think that this is a Peregrine as it is nesting in a tree but what a neat story. It's unbelievable how fast these birds dive bomb this guy. I guess they don't like his hat! Thanks for posting this.

Last year, my son had a similar situation delivering mail in River Heights. He said the bird looked like a falcon, but flew up into a tree. The photo he sent me was forwarded to TPC and she thought it most likely was a merlin. It did look like a falcon. My son has a knack for attracting birds. This year, delivering mail in St James, he was dive bombed by a crow. ;D ;D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 08:21 »
??? I saw this video on CNN site. Appears to be a falcon, but a Peregrine?  ::)

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2012/07/20/dnt-falcon-attacks-mailman.ktab#/video/us/2012/07/20/dnt-falcon-attacks-mailman.ktab 

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 05:07 »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 16:35 »
It was a little bit shocking since I don't care to see anything hurt or in pain, but you are right it's nature being nature. Thanks for sharing.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 16:11 »
Video:  The Original Duck Hunters
Run time: 14 minutes, 12 seconds

CAUTION - Ducks die in this video - it's quick and efficient but they do die and a couple die close to the camera/cameraman.  It's not gory, it's just nature being nature.  If you aren't sure you can watch it, wait and see what others say and then make a decision.  

http://youtu.be/G-FZdIrKyBk

This video isn't of peregrines but rather prairie falcons and gyrfalcons hunting mallards in the fields near Calgary.  I decided to try it out here first so that folks wanting to see peregrine videos didn't miss the opportunity to see this, it's an amazing video and peregrines would hunt exactly the same way had they been there to be filmed.

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 23:08 »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 21:33 »
Thank you. Beautiful, especially the PF hanging on the wind. We see so much nest box action that it is really cool to see them nesting in the wild; and how wonderful to see something so beautiful from Japan while we ponder the tragedy that is unfolding there.

Very well said, Birdcamfam.

Thanks, Cooper.

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:42 »
what a great video, thanks

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:37 »
Yes, great video, Cooper! :D Thanks for posting.