Author Topic: News: Eagles  (Read 28870 times)

Offline Dagny

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Re: News: Eagles
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2017, 19:29 »
The eagle has been freed from the trap and appears to be in good condition  ;D

http://abc27.com/2017/02/09/bald-eagle-appears-free-of-trap-on-foot/

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2017, 05:29 »
This is heartbreaking. I am following several eagle cams, including in Pennsylvania.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bald-eagle-pennsylvania-leg-trap-clamped-to-foot/

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2017, 13:32 »
We had a few trips in this area in January and were certainly noticing all the bald eagles. 
Eagles in trees, eagles on fence posts and eagles on the ground in the fields. 
Wonderful indeed to see so many at once.!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2016, 09:38 »
The Bradenton eagle has recovered and has been released!

The eagle had been rescued and cared for by Wildlife Inc. Later, he was transferred to the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey for additional care. He was returned to Bradenton to be released in his home area.

From Wildlife Inc.:

I contacted the Weather Channel the other day and gave them an update on our eagle. They were more than happy to share his release video. He was under the care of the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey, then brought back by Eagle Watch volunteers where he was released by Damen on Sunday at Lake Manatee State Park. Huge thanks to all involved!

-Devon

It is so good to see him flying free again. He looks great.

There is a short video of the release:

https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeInc/posts/1340841145957668
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:41 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2016, 16:07 »
October 18, 2016

And an update on the Bradenton eagle from Wildlife, Inc., posted four hours ago:

UPDATE: The eagle we rescued in early September is doing much better. It is believed to be a large male and not female. It is also believed that his wounds were likely due to a territorial dispute, it was hard to tell when he first came in, after some of the scabs and dry blood was removed , we noticed talon puncture wounds , which were later confirmed by Audubon Center for Birds of Prey where the eagle is currently being rehabilitated. They expect a full recovery and release back to the wild. We will keep you posted. -Damen

https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeInc/photos/a.119657901409338.7572.119140391461089/1290602647648185/?type=3&theater

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2016, 16:03 »
An update from September 20 on the Bradenton eagle, who was transferred to the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey for continued care.

Our first Bald Eagle patient of the season! This Bald Eagle was brought to us from Wildlife,Inc. Education & Rehabilitation Center in Bradenton. We believe it sustained injuries during a territory fight. It is currently recovering in the clinic and will soon be sent to our rehabilitation area.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2016, 22:10 »
Today's update:

We transferred the Eagle to another facility for long term care and flight training, she will be returned to Bradenton for release when she is ready. I would like to show you a photo comparison of her wounds on day one vs today before she left. It's been about a week and a half since we rescued her. Take a look at the photos and you will see the difference is pretty dramatic, we had to clean the wounds several times daily and give her antibiotics twice daily among many other medications and treatments. Wish her luck and a quick recovery.

Photos: Wildlife, Inc.

That was a very nasty head injury. With all her injuries, she has been through so much, and it is good to see her improving.

I hope the other facility will give her the same excellent level of care as Wildlife, Inc. has been providing for her. I had never heard of Wildlife, Inc. before I came across the first video of the eagle, but they seem very dedicated and they have carried out some very fine rescues recently.

I hope they will continue to post updates, and that the eagle will make a full recovery and, in time, be able to be released back in Bradenton.

https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeInc/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2016, 21:57 »
The following day:

September 7, 2016

Believe it or not, this is after a thorough cleaning and flushing. We believe this eagle is a victim of Hurricane Hermine, the wounds are close to a week old, she most likely crashed due to high winds and was possibly shocked by a powerline in the process. She is alert and eating, which is amazing considering her condition. She has a wound on top of her head that is infected, she has a scratch on his cornea in the right eye but the left is clear and she has a wound on the right wrist which is minor. Most of what you see is dried blood, we will slowly remove it over the next few days, we cannot stress her too much at the moment. She is on pain medication and antibiotics to help her fight infection. We do believe she is going to recover, not out of the woods yet, but I believe she will recover 100%. Wish her luck. -Damen

Photo: Wildlife, Inc.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2016, 21:53 »

This poor bald eagle is so lucky to be having her injuries treated by very caring people; unfortunately, there are probably numerous birds and other wildlife who were not rescued. Thank you for posting this news, Alison.

It is very emotional to see an innocent eagle in such pain. :'(  I’ve been wondering how this eagle is doing and found a brief update which sounds hopeful, though there is still concern for her eyes. 

The following update was posted on September 10 from Wildlife,Inc. Education & Rehabilitation Center, by Devon:

Her eyes have opened up more and her head looks a lot better. She has a lot more strength than when she came in and its almost to strong to hold onto her while she's being treated. Mainly its her eyes we're concerned about.

-Devon

Thank you for the update on the Bradenton eagle, burdi!

Here is some more background information about her rescue:

September 6, 2016

I'd like to thank Manatee County Park Rangers Clayton McCurry, Logan Arbuckle and Johnny Mcleod for calling us to rescue this injured eagle and standing guard until I could arrive today. The eagle has multiple injuries including head,eyes and a wing. It appears she has been injured and on the ground for close to a week, wounds are necrotic. The great Doctors and staff at Palma Sola Veterinarian Clinic examined and treated the eagle, we will continue to care for the bird at our hospital. She is in bad shape but we will do everything we can. We believe she was injured during hurricane hermine. Thanks again to the Manatee County Park Rangers! -Damen

Photo: Wildlife, Inc.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2016, 17:43 »
This bald eagle was rescued by wildlife officials after being injured by Hurricane Hermine in Florida. I am glad she was found, and wonder how many other injured birds may be out there.

https://www.facebook.com/USofAwesome/videos/vb.552387251590100/614838942011597/?type=3&theater

This poor bald eagle is so lucky to be having her injuries treated by very caring people; unfortunately, there are probably numerous birds and other wildlife who were not rescued. Thank you for posting this news, Alison.

It is very emotional to see an innocent eagle in such pain. :'(  I’ve been wondering how this eagle is doing and found a brief update which sounds hopeful, though there is still concern for her eyes. 

The following update was posted on September 10 from Wildlife,Inc. Education & Rehabilitation Center, by Devon:

Her eyes have opened up more and her head looks a lot better. She has a lot more strength than when she came in and its almost to strong to hold onto her while she's being treated. Mainly its her eyes we're concerned about.

-Devon

Website -- http://wildlifeinc.org/

Facebook -- https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeInc/posts/1248662305175553

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2016, 04:59 »
 :'(  Although it is so painful to watch this video, sometimes we forget how the force of nature effects our wildlife. So happy to hear they expect a full recovery. Thanks for sharing, Alison.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2016, 23:14 »
This bald eagle was rescued by wildlife officials after being injured by Hurricane Hermine in Florida. I am glad she was found, and wonder how many other injured birds may be out there.

https://www.facebook.com/USofAwesome/videos/vb.552387251590100/614838942011597/?type=3&theater

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2016, 06:20 »
I just read this on the CBC site and had to share. This is happening all to frequently.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bald-eagle-rescued-from-fishing-line-in-manitoba-1.3604691

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2016, 18:39 »
Collision with bald eagle caused plane to crash outside Alaska, killing 4 people on board
National Post / Mark Thiessen (AP) / 4 May 2016

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A small airplane hit a bald eagle before it crashed just north of Anchorage, Alaska, last month, killing all four people on board.

An investigator says it’s the nation’s first civilian plane crash to result in deaths after an impact with a bald eagle.

Shaun Williams with the National Transportation Safety Board says there have been other crashes involving eagle strikes that resulted in serious injuries, not deaths.

The pilot, co-pilot and two passengers died when the plane went down April 20 near a small airport about 20 miles north of Anchorage.

Williams says an unknown substance was later found on the aircraft. Analysis at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., determined some of it was feathers and other materials that came from an immature bald eagle.

source: National Post - Collision with bald eagle caused plane to crash outside Alaska killing 4 people on board