Author Topic: News: Eagles  (Read 28893 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: News: Eagles
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2022, 16:35 »
And they say lightening doesn't strike twice ... this is the second time this has happened in BC in the last few years ...

An eagle snatched a baby hawk for dinner, then ended up adopting it
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-monday-edition-1.6495076/an-eagle-snatched-a-baby-hawk-for-dinner-then-ended-up-adopting-it-1.6495246

These eagles are near Nanaimo, BC

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2019, 03:59 »
 :o >:( This is disturbing news. I am shocked every time I read about the callous act of someone who takes pleasure in downing the beauty and grace of a bald eagle. I often watch North Woods Law on Animal Planet. They have often taken evidence from an animal/bird and through forensics, have traced and tracked the shooter. I can only hope they find, fine and convict the shooter(s).

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2019, 01:38 »
Can hardly believe I’m reading this.  I just don’t get what happens in a person to do this kind of thing. 
I’m stunned actually.  So unhappy, so disturbed.   

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2019, 23:38 »
Authorities seek tips on shooting, killing of bald eagles in Alberta
The Canadian Press / Winnipeg Free Press / 4 Nov 2019

A bald eagle hangs fliies over a field in Sheffield Mills, N.S., a popular tourist destination, on Friday, Jan. 12, 2018. Alberta Fish and Wildlife is investigating the shooting of two bald eagles in separate areas of the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan

Alberta Fish and Wildlife is investigating the shooting of two bald eagles in separate areas of the province.  The  provincial agency says a juvenile eagle was killed in the Fort McMurray area sometime between Oct. 26 and Oct. 29, then left to waste.  The second raptor involved a mature eagle found dead Oct. 20 and possibly killed the same day in a pheasant release site in the Wetaskiwin region.  The agency says there is no indication the killings are connected and it's looking for tips from the public to help find whoever was responsible.

The bald eagle is a protected species in Alberta and there is no hunting season for it.  The maximum penalty for killing one of the birds is a $100,000 fine or possibly two years in jail.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2019, 07:43 »
Great photos! 8)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2019, 15:31 »
BC Hydro crews called to ‘renovate’ eagle’s nest near Chase, B.C.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5202869/bc-hydro-chase-eagle-nest/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2017, 15:35 »
Poisoned Bald Eagle Highlights Lead Bullet Controversy

Bald eagles are scavengers and commonly feed on the poisoned remains of animals shot with lead bullets.

By Sarah Gibbens
PUBLISHED December 8, 2017

Offline pmg

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2017, 10:41 »
thank you for posting this follow-up story TPC  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2017, 00:17 »
Update from 26 July 2017 - be sure to visit the link at the bottom to see the videos

'This guy thinks he is a bald eagle': Young hawk defies odds in Sidney, B.C.
by Megan Thomas / CBC News / 26 July 2017

A young red-tailed hawk that has been raised by a pair of bald eagles in a Sidney, B.C., nest continues to defy the odds. The young hawk ended up in the bald eagle's nest in Roberts Bay in early June — likely intended as the next meal for their eaglets. Instead, he survived and became part of the eagle family.

"This guy thinks he is a bald eagle and I think that is what helped him survive," said David Bird, an emeritus professor of wildlife biology at McGill University who now lives in Sidney. The hawk likely started begging for food after he arrived in the nest, and the eagle parents started to treat him like the other eaglets, Bird said. "The last time I laid eyes on him just a few days ago, he's in excellent health," he said.

The young hawk some have nicknamed Spunky has captured the imagination of bird-watchers in Sidney since he was first spotted living with the eagles. But most wildlife experts did not think he would make it in a nest full of his natural predators.

"Initially I thought he can't survive in this nest. One of his siblings would just simply put a foot on him and that would be the end of him," said David Hancock, a wildlife biologist who specializes in bald eagles. But he kept eating and growing and pretty soon he grew full size. So he's a mini little eaglet."

The young hawk has to learn to fly and has been spotted splashing around in bird baths in Sidney. But Bird says his next big challenge is to figure out how to gather his own food, like a hawk rather than an eagle. Hawks tend to rely on hunting species such as voles and meadow mice, while eagles often hunt for fish.  "If he does get so weak because he is not finding food ... then I think it is a no brainer to catch him and take him to a wildlife rehab facility," he said.

There's also concern that the young hawk will not be sufficiently wary of other eagles, given his unusual upbringing, Hancock said.

But for now, Spunky is holding his own.

A plan is also being hatched to turn his story into a documentary film, Bird said.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hawk-survives-with-eagles-1.4221651

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2017, 18:28 »
Bald eagle chooses to adopt -- not eat -- baby hawk
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bald-eagle-chooses-to-adopt-not-eat-baby-hawk-1.3449080

I wish the little tot luck - having said that, these parents have managed to get 3 eaglets to this stage, so it doesn't seem like food is a problem so the eaglets may not look at their smaller nestmate as a snack!

Offline pmg

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2017, 15:40 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2017, 23:54 »
This is horrible.  Something MUST be done.

https://www.thedodo.com/bald-eagle-ammunition-refuges-2306402071.html

For those interested in doing something, here's some background information courtesy of the good folks at the USGS - Disease Information - Lead Poisoning

Note, non-toxic shot (i.e., lead shot) has been banned in Canada and the USA for 25 years (I think I got the date right at least) ...

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2017, 19:41 »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2017, 04:56 »
This is incredible news. Thanks for sharing, Dagny.