Author Topic: News: Eagles  (Read 28892 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Eagles
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 10:55 »
Happily, my husband had recorded it and we watched it later last night.

The film production is beautiful, set in the Orinoco rainforest, with amazing colours of wildlife and exotic soundtrack.  The narrator is experiencing thrills of his lifetime as he follows the development of a Harpy Eagle chick during its first year of life.  This is truly a stunning view into rarely seen areas of the rainforest canopy, starring a most ferocious family of raptors.  

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 09:37 »
If you missed it......The NATURE episode on the Jungle Eagle airs again tonight on PBS at 1:00am (ch.3).  Technically that would be Friday, November 11th 1:00am

Harpy eagles are the most powerful birds of prey in the world. Standing three feet tall, with a six-foot wingspan and razor-sharp talons the size of bear claws, these birds are the heavyweight hunters of the South American rainforest. They are the top predators in the jungle canopy, feeding regularly on tree-dwelling mammals like monkeys and sloths. But scientists know very little about harpy eagles because their numbers are few and their habitat is large. Hidden in the branches of the canopy, they are rarely seen, let alone filmed.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 21:22 »
Darn! I missed it!  >:( I'll bet it was very interesting. :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 20:02 »
Thanks irenekl!  I just turned the TV on to record this show and it was already on, so got to watch the last 30 minutes or so.  What a great show and what a beautiful bird!  I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for more opportunities to view these eagles!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 15:52 »
Cool. I thought it said "happy" eagles but reading on I realized there was likely nothing happy about a meeting with one of these giants! Thank you for the heads up.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32 »
FYI:  
This Week on NATURE on PBS tonight:

Jungle Eagle

Harpy eagles are the most powerful birds of prey in the world. Standing three feet tall, with a six-foot wingspan and razor-sharp talons the size of bear claws, these birds are the heavyweight hunters of the South American rainforest. They are the top predators in the jungle canopy, feeding regularly on tree-dwelling mammals like monkeys and sloths. But scientists know very little about harpy eagles because their numbers are few and their habitat is large. Hidden in the branches of the canopy, they are rarely seen, let alone filmed.

Jungle Eagle premieres Wednesday, November 9 at 8 p.m. ET on PBS

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 09:42 »
I heard this news was on CBC radio yesterday morning, with an interview with David Hancock. So glad that they were able to help the eaglet. :D That was quite the rescue attempt.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 09:25 »
So happy this turned out well :-*

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 08:56 »
Love when this happens  :-*

Sidney Eaglet Rescue
http://www.hancockwildlife.org/article.php/SidneyEagletRescue2

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 14:26 »
I was delighted to see that a new eaglet has hatched in the Hornby Island Nest!  There were two eggs being carefully tended by Mom and Dad Hornby. The first hatched on Apr.28th at 1:39 p.m.   :-* Everyone's anxiously awaiting the arrival of the second chick :) Chick #1 has been named "Alexandra" as the first chick to hatch is typically a female, according to the Hornby Island Eagle-cam forum ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 14:29 by susha »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 11:47 »
This quantity of eagles hanging around is a common natural sight near Courtenay on Vancouver Island.  We can count dozens on sand bars and beach areas close to the river outlet to the ocean.  An awesome sight! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 10:04 »
Not sure if this is true......it was sent in a email  :-\  Love the pictures tho  :)

I'm not sure that the story is entirely true, rcf. :-\ My sister from Ontario emailed these same photos to me over a year ago. But they certainly are wonderful photos! :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 09:18 »
 Not sure if this is true......it was sent in a email  :-\  Love the pictures tho  :)

FEEDING THE EAGLES
January of this year, 2011, the weather stayed so cold in St. Louis, Missouri and Alton, Illinois that the bald eagles were cruising over houses in hopes of a quick meal.
They could not access fish that were at the bottom of the river and had gathered together.
Some kind souls decided to feed the eagles so they would survive the cold spell.
They gathered fish and started feeding the group of eagles huddled on the shore.
The photos below show what happened.
A retired teacher took these photos in front of his home.

Incredible!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61724336@N06/sets/72157626516419184/show/

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:46 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 13:18 »
Aw! Exactly what happened to our beloved peregrine falcons! >:( Takes a looooong time for wildlife to make a "come-back".  :(  :'( But so glad to hear that these bald eagles are! :D

"A hundred years ago, bald eagles were a common sight along Lake Ontario. But toxic pesticides slowly killed off most of the population."

“The water became polluted with DDT used in agriculture that washed off the land into the lake,” Theijsmeijer said. “The poison got into the fish, the birds ate the fish and it caused the shells of the birds to be thin and shatter. So we just ran out of bald eagles.”

Offline sheltiegirl

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 13:01 »
Such a clever girl you are my dear, thank you very much.  ;D