Author Topic: News: Eagles  (Read 28894 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: News: Eagles
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2013, 13:31 »
A sad story to end out the year ....

Bald eagle deaths a mystery
Something is killing bald eagles in northern and central Utah, and state wildlife officials are baffled.

by: John M. Glionna, Los Angeles Times / Reprinted in the Winnipeg Free Press - 12/30/2013

SALT LAKE CITY -- Bald eagles are dying in Utah -- 20 in the past few weeks alone -- and nobody can figure out why.

Hundreds of the majestic birds -- many with wing spans of two metres or more -- migrate here each winter, gathering along the Great Salt Lake and feasting on carp and other fish that swim in the nearby freshwater bays.

Earlier this month, however, hunters and farmers across five counties in northern and central Utah began finding the normally skittish raptors lying listless on the ground. Many suffered from seizures, head tremors and paralysis in the legs, feet and wings.

Many of the eagles were brought to the mammoth Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Northern Utah, where Buz Marthaler -- a longtime animal caretaker -- and other handlers tried to save the birds. Within 48 hours most were dead.

Read the rest of the story here:  http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/bald-eagle-deaths-a-mystery-237928261.html

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2013, 17:14 »
So sad.  :'(  http://www.thv11.com/news/article/291065/2/4-bald-eagles-die-in-Utah-from-similar-symptoms

I think carbamate (carbofuran/furadan) poisoning includes tremors and/or seizures, not sure about the paralysis though ... furadan is still a legal pesticide in the US I believe ... will be interesting to hear what the necropsy uncovers ...

Online Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 18:11 »
I was really surprised this afternoon to see a bald eagle flying towards the Assinboine river.  I spotted it just as we were turning on to Nassau st. N.  Unmistakable with the white head, huge wing span and yellow feet.  Wow!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2013, 11:22 »
Very Sad.  :'(

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/govt-extends-permit-time-allowing-wind-farms-to-kill-harm-eagles-by-25-years-234743811.html

Altamont is the NA first wind farm - even possibly before they understood how much of a problem they would/could be to birds, particularly raptors.  Now most (note I say most, not all) farms are not built on/along ridges because those are the ones that are the most deadly for raptors who run ridges while migrating.  Raptors, like other top predator species, reproduce in small numbers and have a high rate of mortality when young so additional threats are of concern.  Altamont is huge and built all over ridges in California and it has high (relative to new wind farms) raptor mortality rates because of this siting.  In fact, it is the only site that I have seen burrowing owls as one of the species affected.  Not so much how many owls but rather given how few owls there are, that they are the list at all is surprising.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55 »

:) Update 3/25/2013
It appears at least one chick has hatched, biologists have observed feeding in the nest (with the adult feeding the chick the remains of the hawk from the attack on 3/24/2013).
:)

I started a thread for these eagles, here is the link.

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3389.msg90698.html#msg90698

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16 »
Why on earth would a RT hawk attack the nest with the parent there?!? ::)  Must've had a death wish :P

I hope the eggs/hatchlings are okay.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2013, 08:14 »
Duke Farms Eagle Camera

Update 3/24/2013
It appears a hawk (likely a red-tailed hawk) attempted to attack the nest and got killed by the parents. It is currently unknown if the eggs/hatchings where harmed in the attack.

Red Tailed Hawk tries to attack nest, gets killed by parent.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/30332727/highlight/334419

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2013, 14:02 »
Lovely New Year's story.  :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2013, 12:29 »
Wonderful story.  Thanks so much for posting the link.  :D

You are so welcome, Jazzerkins. We saw this clip on tv yesterday and I was hoping to find a link online to share. A very close call for the eagles. Thankfully the couple spotted them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:51 by The Peregrine Chick »

Online Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2013, 06:27 »
Wonderful story.  Thanks so much for posting the link.  :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:51 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2013, 04:20 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 12:46 »
..."In her 12 years of wildlife rehabilitation, Erickson said, the eagle's story is among a few cases she considers "nothing short of a miracle."

"Nothing short of a miracle" is nothing short of an understatement! :o Poor little guy, he must have suffered so much - been in so much pain. :'( How very fortunate for him to have been rescued by his bander. :) I hope he makes it. No wonder they named him Phoenix.

Online Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40 »
What an amazing story.  Golden Eagles are very beautiful birds.  I hope he has the stamina to recover and that when he molts, the other feathers come in properly so he can once again fly free!  :)