Author Topic: News: Ospreys  (Read 7622 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2011
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 20:46 »
I do hope to get out to the Gimli area sometime this summer. So I will keep my eyes open for the Osprey nest. I saw it last summer and it was amazing to see, way up there on that hydro pole. :D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 22:57 »
We went and spent Sunday evening with the good binocs in hand and all seemed very quiet. We thought for a moment that the chicks were gone. An adult suddenly turned up out on nowhere with fish in hand (talon) which stirred up the chicks. It looks like the chicks are feeding themselves now. They still stay down in the nest. I've never seen them close to fledging because I've never been out so much at this time of year, so I don't know what to expect. I'll just have to keep watching I guess.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 23:07 »
Do you have any idea when they will be fledging, bcf? I was hoping to get out to see the nest before they fledge.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 19:15 »
Went by the nest last Saturday and there was really no change in the appearance of the nest. One adult sitting on the side of the nest and the chicks' heads and wings popping up and down once in a while.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 15:27 »
Stopped at the nest site on the way home from Gimli and was treated to a peek at 2 of the chicks through "wowzer". The 2 visible were on the hydo pole just across from the nest. One of them went for a little fly by while I was there. Dennis had seen what he believed to be the other chick earlier. So it sounds like a successful fledge so far. They are huge and very beautiful.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 20:26 »
Oh, that is such good news, that you got to see one of the chicks go for a fly-about, while you were there today, bcf. :D And what a treat that must have been, to have seen the chicks through the lens of "Wowzer"! 8)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 20:57 »
Return trip from Gimli finds 2 chicks looking very proud of their accomplished flying and landing skills still hanging around the nest site. From what I seen landing on a 4x4 cross arm on a hydro pole can still give a little problem for one of the birds. The young flier over shot the approach and ended up in between the cross arms...a couple frantic flaps and it's back perched up-right.
Reminded me of that stunned/embarrassed look folks do when they trip in public ??
A few Osprey photos have been added and more will be coming in the days to come.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/recent_photos

This might have been my last chance to view these raptors for this year...looking forward to again checking next spring.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News: Ospreys / 2012
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 19:38 »
"Lady", the record breaking Osprey that has been returning to Scotland's Loch of the Lowes for 22 years has recently laid her 62 egg. If you're interested in reading more of the story or checking out the webcam at this nestsite, click on the following link...

http://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/news/loch-of-the-lowes-osprey-lays-62nd-egg/

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2012
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35 »
Thanks for the link, KC!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 21:24 »
I ran past the osprey nest at Siglivik this morning and there were 2 adults perched on the hydro pole cross supports and one little head sticking up in the nest. I do not know how many chicks there are this year and this is the first chance I have had to watch since they have hatched. Anyone wanting to see them, they are visible from highway nine at Siglivik, 6 miles past Winnipeg Beach. There is a big 6 mile mark on the shoulder for the Islandigdagurin road race. (The mile markers are on the east shoulder all the way from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli) If you see that, you are in the right place. They are on top of a hydro pole there on the east side of the highway.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 22:31 »
I ran past the osprey nest at Siglivik this morning and there were 2 adults perched on the hydro pole cross supports and one little head sticking up in the nest. I do not know how many chicks there are this year and this is the first chance I have had to watch since they have hatched. Anyone wanting to see them, they are visible from highway nine at Siglivik, 6 miles past Winnipeg Beach. There is a big 6 mile mark on the shoulder for the Islandigdagurin road race. (The mile markers are on the east shoulder all the way from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli) If you see that, you are in the right place. They are on top of a hydro pole there on the east side of the highway.

And check out these osprey's on/in Dennis gallery - www.pbase.com/photosbydennis

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 22:39 »
Thank you. They are so beautiful with their interestingly shaped wings.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 22:57 »
Thank you. They are so beautiful with their interestingly shaped wings.

The muscle development is part of what gives them the distinctive shape, some of the feathers are longer as well contributing to "the look".  They don't dive below about 3 feet in the water (or not willingly or on purpose) but they do need to be able to lift off from a partially submerged position vertically with a fish that will weigh between 20 and 50 percent of its own body weight.  It is believed that the shape/look is an adaptation for this particular style of hunting.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 03:28 »
i wondered if that could have something to do with it. I have seen them drop down onto their nest and it is also an unusual type of flight. Thanks so much for filling me in on that.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 06:15 »

There is 2 chicks confirmed...  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/144676396/original