Author Topic: News: Ospreys  (Read 15808 times)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2012
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35 »
Thanks for the link, KC!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News: Ospreys / 2012
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 19:38 »
"Lady", the record breaking Osprey that has been returning to Scotland's Loch of the Lowes for 22 years has recently laid her 62 egg. If you're interested in reading more of the story or checking out the webcam at this nestsite, click on the following link...

http://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/news/loch-of-the-lowes-osprey-lays-62nd-egg/

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: News: Ospreys / 2011
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 20:57 »
Return trip from Gimli finds 2 chicks looking very proud of their accomplished flying and landing skills still hanging around the nest site. From what I seen landing on a 4x4 cross arm on a hydro pole can still give a little problem for one of the birds. The young flier over shot the approach and ended up in between the cross arms...a couple frantic flaps and it's back perched up-right.
Reminded me of that stunned/embarrassed look folks do when they trip in public ??
A few Osprey photos have been added and more will be coming in the days to come.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/recent_photos

This might have been my last chance to view these raptors for this year...looking forward to again checking next spring.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2011, 20:26 »
Oh, that is such good news, that you got to see one of the chicks go for a fly-about, while you were there today, bcf. :D And what a treat that must have been, to have seen the chicks through the lens of "Wowzer"! 8)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 15:27 »
Stopped at the nest site on the way home from Gimli and was treated to a peek at 2 of the chicks through "wowzer". The 2 visible were on the hydo pole just across from the nest. One of them went for a little fly by while I was there. Dennis had seen what he believed to be the other chick earlier. So it sounds like a successful fledge so far. They are huge and very beautiful.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 19:15 »
Went by the nest last Saturday and there was really no change in the appearance of the nest. One adult sitting on the side of the nest and the chicks' heads and wings popping up and down once in a while.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 23:07 »
Do you have any idea when they will be fledging, bcf? I was hoping to get out to see the nest before they fledge.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 22:57 »
We went and spent Sunday evening with the good binocs in hand and all seemed very quiet. We thought for a moment that the chicks were gone. An adult suddenly turned up out on nowhere with fish in hand (talon) which stirred up the chicks. It looks like the chicks are feeding themselves now. They still stay down in the nest. I've never seen them close to fledging because I've never been out so much at this time of year, so I don't know what to expect. I'll just have to keep watching I guess.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 20:46 »
I do hope to get out to the Gimli area sometime this summer. So I will keep my eyes open for the Osprey nest. I saw it last summer and it was amazing to see, way up there on that hydro pole. :D

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 20:25 »
I did confirm on July 17th 3 chicks in the nest...so they must be getting much larger now, I need to get up there !

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/136953186
Great photo Dennis

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 20:17 »
I could see the two for sure but couldn't be sure there was 3. Their little heads pop up and down and an occasional wing comes up so counting from the ground is next to impossible. We are taking our better binocs this weekend; they are nothing like a Woowzer though!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 19:31 »
I did confirm on July 17th 3 chicks in the nest...so they must be getting much larger now, I need to get up there !

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/136953186

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 17:31 »
So I've had lots of time to observe the osprey nest this past week. I was treated to the arrival of one of the adults who flew in with a stick to add to the nest. They fly beautifully and fold their wings in a funny manner as they come in. I also saw a feeding, I assume it was a fish being torn up and fed to the chicks. There are at least two but they stay low in the nest still. I could see their wings as they stretched and they have flight feathers so hopefully they will be up on the edge of the nest for a while prior to fledging. The nest is close to the highway so a pair of binocs gets you an excellent view. I will be keeping an eye on them this weekend.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 18:38 »
Maybe they'll be bigger this week and I'll be able to do a head count!! I have to remember to take my binocs.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48 »
Thanks Dennis. I poked around to see if anyone observes and blogs about this nest but was unable to ascertain how many chicks are there this year. Are you aware if there is a wildlife expert or birding community that is "in the know?'

I don't think so BCF, anecdotally perhaps ...