Author Topic: News: Ospreys  (Read 15822 times)

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
News: Ospreys / 2013
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03 »
WOW :o

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2013, 21:11 »
Thanks, Dennis.
I love watching Osprey hunt.  We get a good view in the summer at Shuswap Lake, BC.
It is always exciting to see them hunt, the circling, the dive, big splash and the rise, with the prize. 
Bonus to see the talons juggle to get the fish heading forward as they fly gaining altitude.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2013, 19:19 »
I have been asked to post this for all to see...perhaps this link has already been posted, but I'm to cold and lazy after today to take the time to check.

This is an incredible video. I can't believe this Osprey got 5-6 fish at a time, then got a flounder under 3' of water, and then made off with what looks to be a 5+ lb. steelhead.

I've never seen a bird shake water off like a dog does - wouldn't want to get in the way of him

when he's got his eyes locked and his talons in the "load" position!  Its talons are amazing!

There are 3 sequences in this one video:
1st sequence he catches half a dozen fish in one strike.
2nd sequence he plunges talons into deep water right to the bottom to grab his  prey.
3rd sequence he captures a big old fish that looks as if it weighs more than he does!

This is incredible to watch (best viewed in full screen mode)...enjoy!

Click Here:  http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Ospreys / 2012
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 22:08 »
Wow, I haven't seen anything like that before. I'll have to park my butt out there this weekend.
Thank you for the update.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2012, 18:04 »
I did confirm this week-end that both chicks are up and flying...perhaps not as graceful as the adults but they are making there way from pole to pole and back to the nest for feeding...(and yes I have photos) with flights out across the water ways leading to the lake.

Now what I did witness was an territorial confrontation between 2 females with both males in the area...at the time 1 chick was in the nest and just ducked down out of sight. The other was on a pole and appeared to sit very still.
This was the first time that I have seen anything like this...but it didn't really surprise me.

Photos from the week-end will be worked on soon.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16 »
Ran in the Islundigadagurinn race on Sunday morning and as I was coming up to the nest site I saw a giant outline of an Osprey fly out over the highway and back toward the nest. I thought that was it but as I came out from the treeline, there were 3 in the air so it looks like one of the chicks had fledged! The other one was sitting on the nest. They were hard to see from underneath because of the brilliant sunlight but one was hanging in the breeze and not doing much "fancy" flying so I assume that that was the fledgling. Likely both will be up by next week.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, 10:47 »
Osprey chicks are growing fast and are now become more visible in the nest...beginning to do some wingersizeing.
Hopefully the job jar at the lake won't be to full so I can sneak away.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/recent_photos

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 11:29 »
Thanks for the picture Dennis. Now I know how many to keep track of.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 10:14 »
I have stopped to view this nest, when on my way to Gimli. It is well worth the stop! Lucky you, bcf & Dennis, to be able to see it on a regular basis. And great photos, Dennis! :-*

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 06:15 »
I ran past the osprey nest at Siglivik this morning and there were 2 adults perched on the hydro pole cross supports and one little head sticking up in the nest. I do not know how many chicks there are this year and this is the first chance I have had to watch since they have hatched. Anyone wanting to see them, they are visible from highway nine at Siglivik, 6 miles past Winnipeg Beach. There is a big 6 mile mark on the shoulder for the Islandigdagurin road race. (The mile markers are on the east shoulder all the way from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli) If you see that, you are in the right place. They are on top of a hydro pole there on the east side of the highway.

There is 2 chicks confirmed...  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/144676396/original

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 03:28 »
i wondered if that could have something to do with it. I have seen them drop down onto their nest and it is also an unusual type of flight. Thanks so much for filling me in on that.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 22:57 »
Thank you. They are so beautiful with their interestingly shaped wings.

The muscle development is part of what gives them the distinctive shape, some of the feathers are longer as well contributing to "the look".  They don't dive below about 3 feet in the water (or not willingly or on purpose) but they do need to be able to lift off from a partially submerged position vertically with a fish that will weigh between 20 and 50 percent of its own body weight.  It is believed that the shape/look is an adaptation for this particular style of hunting.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 22:39 »
Thank you. They are so beautiful with their interestingly shaped wings.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 22:31 »
I ran past the osprey nest at Siglivik this morning and there were 2 adults perched on the hydro pole cross supports and one little head sticking up in the nest. I do not know how many chicks there are this year and this is the first chance I have had to watch since they have hatched. Anyone wanting to see them, they are visible from highway nine at Siglivik, 6 miles past Winnipeg Beach. There is a big 6 mile mark on the shoulder for the Islandigdagurin road race. (The mile markers are on the east shoulder all the way from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli) If you see that, you are in the right place. They are on top of a hydro pole there on the east side of the highway.

And check out these osprey's on/in Dennis gallery - www.pbase.com/photosbydennis

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 21:24 »