Author Topic: ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2008-20  (Read 31539 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2 healthy babies here this year, don't expect that third egg to hatch now. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Baby #1 hatched out around 3 pm yesterday afternoon and Baby #2 arrived this morning around 6 am!!   ;D ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
No egg #4 this year which is fine.  Midnight has typically only ever had 1 or 2 eggs hatch a year so 3 eggs it is.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Egg #3 arrived Saturday morning.  Waiting on number 4 which we'll only see during a shift change now.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Midnight is the female, she's from Ohio and Renegade is the male - he's unbanded so CPF named him. 

Egg 2 arrived overnight :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Midnight and Renegade still rule here.  She laid her first egg 2 days ago on March 16th, waiting on egg 2 now.

Who is who (again  :)) ... ?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Midnight and Renegade still rule here.  She laid her first egg 2 days ago on March 16th, waiting on egg 2 now.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2020 / Renegade & Midnight
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2020, 19:21 »
2020 NESTING SEASON

Some great news posted to CPF Facebook this evening.  This young lady is the daughter of the late Cass, whose parents were Nick and Hathor.  Hathor was the daughter of the legendary Dorothy at the Cathedral of Learning in Pittsburgh and Nick was the son of Miriam - a Canadian peregrine hacked by CPF in 2003 as part of the satellite tracking program.

2013 HATCH CANADIAN PEREGRINE SIGHTED IN NEW JERSEY!! IT'S ASHLEY FROM MEC!!!! I can't believe I'm even typing that but the truth is inescapable. This was a bird that gave me the grey hairs I currently sport. Her story is a long and crazy one but here we go.

At the Mississauga Executive Centre site in 2013 Sante (the resident male) and Cass (the new resident female) had successfully hatched two young females, Ashley and Catherine, and all seemed on track for a great spring for this family. Little did we know that we were in for a wild ride. Ashley was the first to "fledge". I say that very tongue in cheek as she slipped off rather than flew and after fluttering to the ground, I rescued her for the first time. 1. Remember that number. After her release to the roof of MEC One I lost sight of her for a day and after tromping around looking for her for hours, I sat down to watch the parents. Let them tell me where she is! They did. Circling high above MEC One they reminded me that there is a pit on that roof. A 20 foot deep cooling tower pit that no bird could get out of. I headed up to check it and when I peeked over the edge two little eyes were staring back at me looking rather dejected. So I rescued her again. 2. By this time her sister had taken her first flight during which she tragically and fatally collided with another tower. Ashley was now the only young left. Her next flight took a while but when she did it wasn't too bad. Except that she was too low, ran out of steam and ended up being the centerpiece in a flowerpot full of petunias at MEC Four. So I rescued her again. 3. Back up she went to the roof of the nest building to give it another go. With no sibling to compete with and her confidence a bit underwhelming, she sat and sat and sat. Until one day she disappeared. I beat the bushes, scoured the streets and turned over every rock. Exhausted I went back up to the roof and on a whim, stopped in the mechanical area at the man door to Ash's pit. When I opened it...she was mucking about in a puddle underneath the equipment and she was quite wet. So...again. 4!!!!!!! This time I released her on the roof of MEC Three and have been releasing young ones there ever since. She just couldn't seem to get it together this one!! She had all the right stuff but her choices were ridiculous. Under the circumstances we extended the Fledge Watch long beyond the norm to ensure that Ashley was well on her way. 22 DAYS LATER WE SCALED THE WATCH BACK. 22 days, 4 rescues and one silly little bird.

On the heels of all of this, we received a phone call of a deceased peregrine found across the street at the CIBC building on July 22nd. It was Cass, the resident female. That left Sante to continue to raise Ashley on his own. Ashley is the one and only offspring that Cass is ever known to have produced.

That brings us to now. 7 years later I never expected to hear of her thriving let alone see amazing pictures of her loving life at Merrill Creek Reservoir in New Jersey. I cannot thank enough the amazing photographer Derrick Tornicelli for sharing his sighting as well as his photos with us here at CPF. I also want to thank Kathy Clark, CWB Endangered & Nongame Species Program with the New Jersey DEP Division of Fish & Wildlife for seeking out her identity and allowing us to share this most excellent news. It proves without a shadow of a doubt that what we do is worth all the sweat, all the exhaustion and all the effort that volunteers put in to watching over young peregrines in urban environments. She is alive today because we cared and put her welfare at the top of the to do list for that day. I personally would like to thank Margaret, Katherine, Shannon, Winston, Bruce and Mark as well as all the amazing people at the MEC complex and the fantastic building management, staff and security. It took a village.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Banding day for the MEC kids today.  One boy and one girl for MIDNIGHT and RENEGADE! Welcome AMANDA (female, 82/X, red band, 910 g, 25 days old) and DRAGO (male, R/49, blue band, 695 g, 27 days old)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Midnight was born at the Canton, Ohio nest in 2011. Banded black/red 98/E, she is the daughter of the iconic pair Maverick (banded black/green R/R) and Mystic (banded black/green S/22). Mystic was born at the Hilliard Road Bridge nest in 2008, and Maverick was born at the Rhodes Tower nest in Columbus in 2000.

Two sweet chicks:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Woohooo...two babies this morning!!!  :-* :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Midnight is the female, she's from Canton, Ohio.  Renegade is the unbanded male.

Thank you, I like to keep the naming convention the same so folks can know which is which if the names are not obvious.  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Midnight is the female, she's from Canton, Ohio.  Renegade is the unbanded male.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
It's still Midnight and Renegade  :)

Sorry, who's who? Midnight - male or female, Renegade - male or female  :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
It's still Midnight and Renegade  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Who is who at this site please Carly :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
First hatch for Midnight and Renegade here at 4.23 pm today.  They removed an egg a few days ago and were down to two.  Hopefully the remaining egg hatches to give this one a sibling.  Last year they only had one and she died on fledge hitting the reflective glass.  Year before that they had two and lost one to the glass.  Talons crossed this year is better for this family.  :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2019 NESTING SEASON

Midnight and Renegade are still the resident pair here at MEC.  She laid her third egg this morning around 11 am and full time incubation has begun.

Last year their only offspring did not survive the fledge period so we're hoping a better year for them.  Their site is similar to ours with the reflective glass towers so every year they lose one or two to the glass :(
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 15:58 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2017 / ? & ?
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 23:10 »
2017 NESTING SEASON

Mississauga Executive Centre was the first Canadian site with an egg this year.

March 10, 2017, first egg: then the cam went down. After it came back up, there were four eggs on March 18.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2014 NESTING SEASON

Rogue is the female here - she was also here year before last but was injured during a territorial battle and spent a year and a half in rehab.  The female that displaced her was killed during a bad summer storm last year and when Rogue was released a few weeks later she came right back home and resumed her place.

She and Sante had the first eggs laid in North America - that we know of and the first hatch this year.  She must have laid at the end of February during the minus 30 temps and as such only one egg hatched.

We were all shocked to see a hatch on April 2nd as the cam came back up this year.  The little male accidentally fledged on Friday and was sitting on top of a lower roof top as of yesterday.  Hopefully he is okay.  Watchers are on the ground looking out for him.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2013 / Sante & Cass
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2013, 20:35 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

From Loriann in Mississauga ....

As of April 13th we have FOUR eggs.. Cass ( 2009 michigan ) and Sante are going to be parents!

The web cam has been live on and off.. the weather here has been a factor.  The weather has been miserable ( almost as bad as yours), cold, wet, windy, snow, freezing rain, ice pellets, freezing fog, locusts, frogs etc..

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Executive Centre - 2012 / Sante & ?
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05 »
You are welcome AnimalLover  :)

(moving this to the MEC thread .... )

Offline AnimalLover

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35 »
I don't know about that story I'm afraid Animal Lover, however, in Ontario at the Mississauga Executive Centre (MEC for short) they had a rescue and taken out of town story ... might that be the one you are thinking about?  MEC does have a chick of theirs nesting down in Michigan right now ...

I haven't checked the Cdn Peregrine Foundaion website for MEC updates and haven't heard from my little bird in Ontario, but here is their observations page:  http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/mississauga-executive-centre/

If this isn't the story, someone else on the Forum might have some information for you ..

Yes Tracy this is the story I was looking for thank you very much!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2012, 10:12 »
I don't know about that story I'm afraid Animal Lover, however, in Ontario at the Mississauga Executive Centre (MEC for short) they had a rescue and taken out of town story ... might that be the one you are thinking about?  MEC does have a chick of theirs nesting down in Michigan right now ...

I haven't checked the Cdn Peregrine Foundaion website for MEC updates and haven't heard from my little bird in Ontario, but here is their observations page:  http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/mississauga-executive-centre/

If this isn't the story, someone else on the Forum might have some information for you ..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:15 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline AnimalLover

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2012, 08:31 »
(Originally posted on the Ask the PeregrineChick thread ... )

I don't know where this question goes so I will put it here this question is for anyone who can answer it.  There was a Letter I think it was from Narural Resources or a Peregrine Falcon Project in the US about a Peregrine chic that fledged and was taken by I think a falconer to a animal hospital far out of town.  I was looking for a update if there is one but I forgot where it was from somewhere in the US I hope someone can remember.  The Natural Resources or Peregrine Project in that US city was not very happy about the chic being taken with out them being notified I was interested to know of the outcome for this poor Peregrine chic if you heard anything further thank you.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2012, 22:04 »
This dad has been wonderful, and Janet has proven to be a determined fledging. 

Its this kind of background, that if Janet survives the next 12-24 months could make her into the next uber-female-peregrine.  The kind we watch on webcams and marvel at!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2012, 21:48 »
The latest on this story from BCAW is that Sante has been heroic in his efforts to feed his chick, Janet, and protect her from the renegade female.  Whenever the new female goes to attack Janet, Sante distracts her, and so far, Janet has been able to hold her own while flying, despite taking hits from the female.  This dad has been wonderful, and Janet has proven to be a determined fledging.  I sure hope things work out well for this troubled site.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2012, 18:53 »
What a sad story for this nest :'( 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36 »
Oh no, this is, indeed, very sad news. :'( I do hope that Sante can continue to feed and protect the remaining juvenile, Janet.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2012, 23:14 »
Another note from Loriann ....

Well we have lost our female to God knows where, and now two of the chicks [Jennifer & Skyreach] have been forced out of the nest to their deaths by an intruder female.  One remaining chick [named Janet], we'll see what happens.. the other two fledged in a panic and down they came.

The falcon folks are understandably upset with this year's losses ...

Full story here: http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/mississauga-executive-centre/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2012, 15:13 »
From Loriann & the CPF website ...

"For the past three days now, we have also been trying to find out additional details on an unbanded adult peregrine that was injured and rescued by the City of Mississauga animal services very close to the MEC nest site on May 22nd. Had it not been from a caller from the City of Mississauga alerting us of this rescue, we would have never known about it.

Unable to reach the CPF during the moment, a telephone message was left on a CPF mobile phone, the injured unbanded adult female peregrine falcon was picked up from the Mississauga Animal services by a wildlife rehabber from the Stoney Creek / Grimsby area in southern Ontario and then taken out of the district without any notification or knowledge or permissions from to the Ministry of Natural Resources.

By the time we tracked down the bird (and identified the rehabber), the fledge watch team out in the streets at the MEC nest site had quickly realized that there was no attending female, and that the resident MEC adult male was obviously doing over-time and in warp drive trying to attend to his new young hatchlings in the nest box by himself"

The whole entry is too long to post here without gettting cut off, so please check out the rest of the story:
http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/05/sightings/some-sad-news-to-report-again/

As you might imagine (and Loriann did in a very succinct way  ;)) folks are disturbed by what happened when communication breaks down. 

We are fortunate in Manitoba in that the Project here is smaller than CPF's activities in southern Ontario(geographically smaller at least) and we try to talk to all the players (rehab, Conservation, building managers, phanatics & fans, etc) on a regular basis.  And even though, information can get lost in the heat of the moment, when the heat dies down, the news gets to the people it needs to pretty quickly.

As for Dad being home alone - the chicks were hatching out April 20th, so they are just about to fledge and one decent meal a day for each chick will keep them going, so if Dad can pull that off until the female returns or the chicks start hunting on their own, well, then everyone should be okay.  Chances are Dad will do better than that and hopefully he still has some food cached nearby to help him out.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2012, 21:18 »
From Loriann ...

We have THREE CHICKS now..

Just a few days ago, this pair became the proud parents of the first peregrine hatch of 2012 and today ( april 20)  there was much to be seen on the monitor. A very determined female stood as best as she could over the wiggling pile of fluff beneath her and tried to contain them within the nest scrape. I was able to see two chicks for sure actively moving underneath her and suspected that there was a third. The presence of that third chick was confirmed by Marco of Oxford Properties and I can’t thank him enough for all of his assistance and efforts over the past few weeks as we have been trying to get the camera working once again. We are so excited for MEC and are working feverishly to get the camera up and running again as we continue to tackle the software issues that are causing the image to be inconsistent. Congratulations MEC and we await the hatching of the final egg!!! Check back shortly as we will post some pictures of the new family.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2012, 14:45 »
That's GREAT news!  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2012 / Sante & ?
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2012, 13:41 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

From Loriann ...

Baby falcon hatches
The Greater Toronto Area's first successful hatch of a peregrine falcon egg has taken place in Mississauga.
Volunteers for the Canadian Peregrine Foundation (CPF) reported a hatch on Tuesday in the nest located at the Mississauga Executive Centre on Robert Speck Pkwy. in the City Centre.
CPF volunteer Tracy Simpson reported the hatch on Tuesday, noting that when she viewed the television camera monitoring the site, she could "just make out the small, white head poking out from under the adult female’s wing."
The CPF hopes to begin banding the falcon chicks in late May or early June.
The City Centre site is one of three active nesting locations in the city. A second long-standing site is located at the Holcim cement plant in Clarkson.
A third pair of falcons have taken up residence at a high-rise building on Standish Court, near Hurontario St. and Britannia Rd.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2011 / ? & ?
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2011, 14:08 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Courtesy of Loriann ...

Activity at MEC; Two Eggs and Counting
March 30, 2011 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

This afternoon I made my way out to MEC to check on our pair this year and was greeted with a tempting bit of pigeon at MEC 2 rooftop.  The tasty treat was not for me ( thank goodness, yuckers! ) but rather the unbanded male was courting and caring for his lady on the scene.  I scrambled to get the scope out and take a look as she had both legs in full view and of course, the minute I was ready, off she goes and into the nestbox.  I was able to get a glimpse of colour though and I am 99% sure that she is a Black over Red which coincides with observations last year and last week as well.  After abandoning the hope of actually getting alpha numerics off of the band, I made the climb to the control room to take a look at what she was up to.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that two eggs have already been laid and by the looks of her, all plump and dreamy, the third will be there tomorrow.  I then wandered over to MEC 3 and with the unwavering support of the security on staff, I was able to head up to the roof for another attempt at an ID on the female.  Once again, I had her in full view in the scope but to no avail as she had no intention of moving an inch and with her feathers draped around her band, I decided to leave her to her sleepiness and planned to try again in a day or so.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Excecutive Centre - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2010, 19:46 »
So sorry to hear about Joe.  :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2010, 19:29 »
... might it be any different if we just had a number to refer to? Somehow I doubt it, we would still want names - at least I would.
I agree with you, sami. As hard as it is to lose any peregrine, it is good that they have names.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2010, 17:55 »
How sad. I sometimes wonder if maybe we don't make things harder for ourselves by naming the chicks - might it be any different if we just had a number to refer to? Somehow I doubt it, we would still want names - at least I would.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2010, 15:25 »
Thank you for posting, Carly. 
From the excitement of hearing of survivor Mackenzie yesterday at a different site, to the very sad news of Joe here, we have the contrast in outcomes due to the high first year mortality for these peregrine juveniles.  Moments of joy, moments of sadness, not for the faint hearted to become attached to this species.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2010, 11:00 »
So sorry to hear about poor little Joe, Carly.  :'(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18 »
Thank you for posting the update Carly. 
Very sad about Joe, good luck to the other three.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2010, 06:06 »
Poor little Joe  :'( :'( :'(  Took them awhile to post the news.

A Sad Day at MEC
July 14, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Mark Nash received a phone call from  our wonderful supporters at MEC security that a banded juvenile had been recovered on their rounds outside one of the buldings.  The unfortunate juvenile has been identified as 18 over Y better known as Joe.  There was no visible trauma that would indicate what had happened to him yet it was most likely an impact with a window of one of the MEC buildings.

For the juvenile peregrines that have successfully fledged and are now learning the fine art of flight, the dangers can be much greater than when they were floppy first timers.  The juveniles now have a much greater degree of confidence and navigate through their environment at much faster speeds.  This makes collisions with buildings and other objects dangerous and even deadly, as was the case for young Joe.

While I was at the site, the other 3 remaining juveniles were flying around well and landing on MEC 2 and 3 like pros.  We wish them well in their learning and hope that they do well in their travels south this fall.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2010, 17:01 »
Thanks alli, this is one of my favourite sites, I'm Canadian all the way.
you're welcome  :)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2010, 16:55 »
Thanks alli, this is one of my favourite sites, I'm Canadian all the way.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2010, 16:36 »
Where has the link for this cam gone??
right here:  http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cpf-news

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2010, 15:52 »
Where has the link for this cam gone??

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2010, 11:17 »
For those of you who couldn't watch the banding, Loriann has sent me the link to a video ...

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1zxtfrb&s=6

Very cool!!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2010, 23:36 »
Oh I wish I would of kept watching this cam.....thanks very much for the update! 

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2010, 20:34 »
You're right about the names, Carly.
Interesting to see who the female will turn out to be.  Somebirdy we know?!?

Hey Carly, I watched them take the chicks from the nest for banding. Some pretty fiesty chicks there.
The names suck - except for Joe - that's my nephews name, but it does not fit for a peregrine. ::)

Would have sworn that at least 2 were female, give the size of them.
Just what is it about the down east air?????      hee hee

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2010, 20:13 »
You're right about the names, Carly.
Interesting to see who the female will turn out to be.  Somebirdy we know?!?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2010, 20:00 »
MEC banding was right after ours today!!  We have three boys and a girl here!  And the female has black bands so she is Canadian, they are trying to blow up the photos now to get her ID!!

4 were banded at MEC lol you may not want to look at the names.

Wade...male...26days old...16/Y...Yellow tape...
Graig...male...27days old....17/Y...Red tape.
Xuan(Soon)..female...25days old...19/X.
Joe........male...28days....18/Y.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2010, 19:06 »
Three chicks perfectly lined up; obsessive compulsive Mom?
Did mom actually line them up like that?! :-\

Yes, she did!

And according to the site, there are now four chicks in the nest:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2010, 17:33 »
Did mom actually line them up like that?! :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2010, 14:09 »

They could call her "Symmetry" ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2010, 13:29 »

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2010, 06:37 »
Three have hatched and are being fed right now  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2010, 16:32 »
She didn't want to allow a glimpse of the chick:

But then she did, just for a second:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2010, 16:13 »
One little one just got fed and see a pip in another egg I think.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2010, 14:27 »
Just logged on......eggs and chick covered up! 

Great news that one has hatched, and BF wrote there may be a pip in a second egg.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2010, 13:43 »
First chick just hatched.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2010, 15:05 »
still four eggs as far as anyone can see.. these guys stick like glue and its almost impossible to catch a shift change...

site has a live running 'chat' feature too.. very neat..  and Carly lurks around there sometimes too.. lol

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cpf-news

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2010, 16:37 »
four eggs reported at this site today. 

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2010, 05:44 »
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cpf-news     and here is the link for the camera...

this is the same video feed that brings you the critter window with the raccoons and MrsMurphy's chicks,,, 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2010, 05:07 »
Experimenting with live video at MEC
April 18, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Matt MacGillivray Reports:
We are currently experimenting with live video through Ustream.tv for the Mississauga Executive Centre nestcam.  Since this morning, both a live video feed and constantly updating snapshots are available for viewing.

Peregrine Nestcam live from Mississauga Executive Center

There will likely be kinks for the next little while while we work through the details.  Thanks for your patience!

Enjoy

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2010, 07:44 »
!!! Egg # 2
April 03, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Linda Woods Reports:
Second Egg appeared this morning. Third Egg expected Monday.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2010, 15:14 »
Thanks, Carly, naps are good.  Must keep up your strength for all the waiting.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2010, 14:49 »
This is interesting, Carly, thanks.  Are these photos available for us to see?

Oh yes there were 2 on the site, sorry had a wee little nap there and just awoke  :-[

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2010/04/sightings/confirmed-one-egg/

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2010, 14:29 »
This is interesting, Carly, thanks.  Are these photos available for us to see?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2010, 12:55 »
!!! Confirmed - one egg!
April 02, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:
With much debate over the last 24 hours, (due in part to bad lighting conditions and shadows), trying to decide if there was an egg in the nest box,, Linda was able to capture some good photos of the MEC nest box with one of the adults (believed to be the resident male) holding on to the single egg that was layed yesterday. Today, it appears that the birds are actually doing some incubating - (but not full time as yet). We suspect that given the much warmer temps., (and humidity we’re experiencing), as well as this being only the first egg, the adults will not be on the egg full time yet.

Typically the female will not start her full time incubation (or full time cooking as we say) until the second last egg is produced. This is also to ensure that the eggs will all start to hatch around the same time. Of course much depends on the fertilization / copulation with the male.

With colder temps., the adults will spend much more time on the egg(s) to prevent them from getting too cold.

We are being by our weather man that we are going to see 25 plus degree temps., for the next several days so we don’t expect to see the adults on the egg(s) full time cooking during this short heat wave.

We are hopeful that the new female at MEC (who ever she may be) will continue with her egg production and we’ll be seeing more eggs over the next few days.

It is worth noting that territorial battles have been ongoing over the past three weeks at the MEC with two adult females squabbling over the nest site and territory.

The poor little adult male has been trying to stay clear and distant of all of the fighting and has been trying to convince a female (any female) into the nest box. Its been quite funny to see him trying to keep the piece and stay focussed on the what he feels is the task at hand (courtship and copulation), as he’s been very stressed throughout the entire period.

Most of the recent observations have been of the adult male in the nest box with the single egg, as it would appear that he is so happy to finally see a victor and an egg, he’s been beside himself!

In the photos that Linda was able to snap today, this poor little guy appears to be holding onto the single egg for all he’s worth!

Stay tuned……….

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2010, 18:15 »
Linda Woods Reports:
I’ve been watching the webcam for the past few days, and today there’s a change. Looks like MEC has their first egg of the 2010 nesting season. I haven’t seen a peregrine in the nest tray, but sure looks like an egg.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2010, 18:47 »
BOT - Google "street view" neat way to see what nestsite locations look like ...

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2010, 17:32 »
That's kinda creepy  :o!  Not you of course  :P but I mean that you technically could spy on people if you were a bit unbalanced. :-\
Naw Carly, Loriann is kinda creepy ( running and hiding as fast as I can. )

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2010, 17:30 »
hey  !  who ya callin' unbalanced?  muhahahahaha  lol

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2010, 17:30 »
its a stalkers best friend..  muhahahahaha...  and want to hear something hilarious?   we were out shopping one day last May, and saw the Google Street View car three times.. we commented on it, and then went home.. as we were getting out of the truck the bloody thing went by our house, and took the picture....  when i google my address, there i am, standing on the porch, pointing at the car as it goes by.. lol.. forever immortilized by the google street view car.......... lol

Oh now, I need to see this!!! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2010, 17:28 »
That's kinda creepy  :o!  Not you of course  :P but I mean that you technically could spy on people if you were a bit unbalanced. :-\

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2010, 17:25 »
its a stalkers best friend..  muhahahahaha...  and want to hear something hilarious?   we were out shopping one day last May, and saw the Google Street View car three times.. we commented on it, and then went home.. as we were getting out of the truck the bloody thing went by our house, and took the picture....  when i google my address, there i am, standing on the porch, pointing at the car as it goes by.. lol.. forever immortilized by the google street view car.......... lol

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2010, 17:19 »
That was cool Lori, first time I ever used it!  Got to the corner okay and saw all the construction!  Wow!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2010, 17:05 »
If you use Google to get to 'street view' and type in Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario, mississauga, you can go the streel level view of this corner.. turn the navigator until you are facing North.  On the right you will see two of the condo towers being built.  Where the crane is shown, there is now a taller condo under construction...  continue to travel or look to the north, and the buildings further up are the Executive Center where the current nest box is.   zoom in and you may see it.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2010, 16:36 »
Oh great, peregrines and construction sites next door...good thing they'll have helmets  :P

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2010, 16:26 »
we've always had 'rules' about buildings ( apts, condos, office towers) being built that they had to be under a certain height, but they've made exceptions for the new condos that they are building at Square One ( where the exec centre is)..  and there are a few that are higher than the exec centre by many floors, and with in 500 feet of the existing nest site...  but they are still in the building phase, with a few of the large construction cranes and constant noise and dirt.. 

i know there were whispers that one of the unbanded kids  from last year was back at the St Lawrence Cement towers, but they are unbanded ( due to their age at banding time)... and no way to know who they are.

Guess we'll have to wait and see who is who... same drama here as in Winterpeg.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2010, 16:22 »
given the ridiculous amount of construction in this vicinity i'm surprised any birds are even remotely interested in being here..  lots of tall condos going in right beside this site..

Well it must be something as they've rarely had a pair that stayed together for a few years.  I"m surprised Jack hasnt' tried for that site as he was born there!

Speaking of Lori, there may be another new pair in Mississauge somewhere - still waiting on confirmation but someone did call one in so it's hoping out there.  I guess with new condos going up - it means higher places for a peregrine to nest on.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2010, 13:13 »
given the ridiculous amount of construction in this vicinity i'm surprised any birds are even remotely interested in being here..  lots of tall condos going in right beside this site..

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2010, 12:46 »
welcome to the club  ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2010, 12:40 »
Yet another territorial battle between females!  Last year the resident female was killed on site by another female and the eyases were fostered out.  Wonder if that new female won or if there is yet another new female here!

CPF Postmaster Reports:
While the adult peregrines have been very active in the nest box this past week, it might appear that the territorial squabbling going on between two adult females on site has delayed pair bonding and courtship activities with the male. We’re not quite sure who is on territory at this momment, but it appears that the territorial dispute has finally yeilded a victor, as evident by yesterdays observations. There are only two adults on site now, (one adult male and one adult female). Hopefully, the pair (who ever they are), can now get down to some pair bonding and serious courtship activities

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2010, 14:30 »
They just brought the cam up two days ago I believe and they are now going around to see what's happening at the sites.  Etobicoke cam sadly may be unrepairable they think. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2010, 14:27 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

The Mississauga Executive Centre webcam is reloading but the date on the image is March 23, 2010 and there are no 2010 notes on their observation pages ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Executive Centre - 2009 / ? & O'Connor & Tessie
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2009, 12:42 »
There is someone home at MEC now, looks like the male maybe..looks small.  I've been trying to catch someone here to see how dad is making out and see if he's with the new female or not.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2009, 11:43 »
Yes they are doing well.  And of course with Tracy looking after them and Bruce (wickedest blue eyes I've ever seen...ahem..*cough*)  sorry err - voice of reason and experience looking after them, they can't help but do well!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2009, 10:51 »
http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/etobicoke-william-osler/

a few days of updates on the babies who were taken from the mississauga site and hacked into a nest with non-viable eggs.. we've had a successful fledge here.. and that is wonderful news for my orphans..  whoo hooo ! 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2009, 19:13 »
This is absolutely wonderful news!!  It's always wonderful to hear about a successful fostering!  Way to go!  Hope we will get updated often!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2009, 09:53 »
good catch CArly.
Not uncomon for wggs not to hATCH FOR FIRST TIME MOM.

She seems to be a natural

Loriann
a yankee !   cross border shopping in reverse (LOL)

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2009, 09:48 »
a yankee !   cross border shopping in reverse !  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2009, 09:47 »
We know who the female is, she's a first time mom now!!

Frank Butson Reports:
I searched a database in OHIO and came up with this info on the female m/87 black over green. She is named O’Connor,hatched 05/06/07 at the Landmark Building in Summit County Ohio. Banded on 05/24/07

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2009, 09:34 »
This is just so exciting .  I have witnessed many fosterings at the edmonton site and these raptors are just so amazing in their aceptance of young.
I remember someone on another forum stating that they would never accept a juvneille that has already fledged though.

Edmonton nest proved that  theory  wrong last year and the year before.

Amazing and now thse aprents get to do what God intended. I hope they continue to update us.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2009, 07:38 »
What a wonderful story.  A great outcome for both the chicks and the foster parents.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2009, 07:14 »
wonderful news   ;D   how fitting that they are at the hospital.. and have a better chance now.. and actually that is a much better place for them to fledge than the MEC, which is surrounded by tall buildings and horrible updrafts...

hats off to Hurricane and his partner for fostering the chicks !  and to Mark and his team for making it happen..

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:02 by carly »

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 00:54 »
yeah, but it's still a fabulous photo!   8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2009, 20:58 »
Photo of Tessie by Chad and Chris:

Just so y'all know, this is Tessie in her juvenile plumage, she will have lost this by 2008 and looks now like her parents (and every other adult peregrine) ...

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 19:29 »
She is an absolutely beautiful falcon   :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2009, 19:23 »
She's a beauty and obviously inherited her parents aggressiveness!  Should produce some strong offspring... :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2009, 19:16 »
The new female in Mississauga is Tessie from the Cleveland Clinic, born 2007, band black/green M/83. She is a daughter of the well known falcon pair Flash and Liberty; they are both gone from the Cleveland Clinic now, but were almost legendary for their aggressiveness towards other birds who dared to stray into their territory.

Photo of Tessie by Chad and Chris:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2009, 18:16 »
Another really encouraging update on the chicks posted today on the CPF site:

"Tracy Simpson Reports:

Today has been even more exciting with all three of the hatchlings alert and very animated, all interacting with one another now.  All three of the hatchlings are now very mobile compared to yesterday and responding VERY WELL to fluids and food.  Eating us out of house and home is an understatement!

The young male Apollo is now very alert and aggressively demanding food, but with all of the attitude that we would expect to see.  He is quite willing to steel food from his other two sisters without hesitation, and is quick to voice his opinion and lash out at me after each time the feedings are completed.

Katarina, the smaller female has dramatically increased in weight again and continues to improve in leaps and bounds.  She has transformed from a quiet sickly lethargic looking hatchling and become a very alert, very vocal bully herself.  Energy PLUS!!

Magarina is doing just fine, and has become even more aggressive!.  While she takes food willingly, she is also quick to strike out and hiss at me after the feedings are finished.
Obviously a love hate relationship!  This is exactly what we want to see in their overall attitude and behavior.

I can report with all confidence that the hatchlings are all but back to healthy condition, and should be ready to leave our care soon."

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2009, 12:25 »
another human angel on earth... some people just earn their wings... others.. not so much..  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55 »
Thanks for posting the update Loriann!  I actually got to meet Tracy yesterday, she dropped by for a quick visit on her way to feed these munchkins dinner!  She is totally a 'mother hen' to them.  Apparently she has brought many eyases back from the brink during her tenure and you can see just how much she cares for them and all wildlife. 

Apparently she once slept at the centre for days on end when they had brought in 5 rescued eyases who were in such bad shape, the vet said 3 for sure would die and the other two were doubtful.  She stayed with them 24/7 and every one of them survived and fledged!  Majesty (see King St for details) was one of those hatchlings  :-*

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22 »
There are three parts to a mute:
Fecal - the semi-solid mass, frequently this is colored
Urate - white, chalky material - the crystalline uric acid that is the result of protein metabolism
Urine - clear water that flushes the waste from the system

hope this helps.. and you are not eating your lunch when you see it.. lol

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54 »
Thanks, Loriann.  That was very interesting. 
their mutes are all starting to look normal
What are mutes?

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2009, 09:56 »
A brief update from Tracy from the CPF Raptor Centre and the three hatchlings.  More than a noticeable improvement from all three of the hatchlings today, as they are of this evening three very different birds compared to what they looked and acted like on Friday afternoon when they arrived at the CPF Raptor Centre.  The little male hatchling named Apollo - (Black 37 over Y - with Blue tape) is now standing upright  and moving freely around in the nest tray and starting to respond very well to the fluids and food being offered. His weight has increased and he is looking very alert and animated, now starting to interact with his two other siblings.

His little sister Katarina - (Black 16 over X -with red tape ) who was suffering from the more severe dehydration and malnutrition is also now responding well to the food and fluids.  She has gained almost 20 grams in weight and is now consuming food faster then I can feed her.

The largest female sibling Magarida - (Black 17 over X - with Yellow tape) has obviously been one of the problems, given her huge size, dominance and strength in comparison to the other two hatchlings, as she consistently bullies the other two siblings and steels all of the food, many times from right out of their mouths before they can swallow it.  Neither of the other two hatchlings seem to have the strength or the awareness to prevent the older hatchling Magarida from taking all of their food.

While this behavior is quite typical of the largest or most dominant of the hatchlings in any given nest, this situation is magnified due to the much smaller and weakened condition of the other two siblings. The much larger Magarida has been getting most of what little food packages that the resident adult male father was able to bring in to the nest.

Without a second adult helping to provide food to the hatchlings, (and in this case, with the death of the resident adult female, who is capable of CARRYING much larger food packages), it has become quite obvious that the surviving resident adult male was not able to keep up the necessary food requirements to maintain the health of all three of his offspring.  The hatchlings are being fed three to four times a day and have are now consuming several hundred grams of food between the three.  As of this evening, they are all casting normal formed pellets and their mutes are all starting to look normal.

Pictures will follow.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 12:42 »
Thanks Carly.  Much perkier looking by the last picture, good looking juvies in their fresh new box.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2009, 08:37 »
Thanks for posting the report and pictures, it's very interesting. Poor things look pretty pathetic, not the usual bright eyed chicks. Much improved in the last picture though! Let's hope everything goes well.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2009, 08:15 »
poor wee ones.. but they are all in good hands now....  thank you to Mark and his team for caring, and going what he does every single day........

and all in all a handsome bunch of babes..   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2009, 06:50 »
Yeah he's just added most of those pics so let me just say to anyone who goes to look;  WARNING: Photo of Deceased Falcon in Deteriorated Condition is posted!

Just in case, I know some people have a hard time looking at stuff like that.  You can read the article without going down to the photos though.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2009, 06:31 »
Thanks for posting this Carly. And the pics at the bottom of the article are great :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05 »
Here is Mark's official report on MEC, just posted detailing the findings:  Apparently dad didn't defend his chicks either  :'(

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/06/sightings/both-success-and-tragedy-in-the-sentence-paternal-mother-has-been-killed/

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2009, 20:12 »
Is the Raptor Mom Tracy mentioned in the article a Falcon, or our TPC?  What a coincidence?!?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2009, 17:47 »
I checked with the person who told me today and they are confident of the situation - the date of death, no one can be sure, just an assumption.  They never allow anyone to take chicks out of the nest - ever unless it's a serious situation even in cases where people have begged them to, so he must have been confident it was the correct course of action.

Here is Franks post from his post on CMNH - He even knows the ID of the new female!:

I received this message from BIG FRANK regarding Tessie from the Cleveland Clinic nest site:

Today we have learned there is a new female at our Mississauga Executive Centre nest site,here in Toronto. She has been ID'd as Teffi,a 2007 bird from Clevland Ohio(somewhere). She wore band m/83 black over green. The resident female was found dead on a platform near the nest,hidden from view,at banding time. There are 3 chicks of the dead female there. Ministry Of Natural Resources reps decided when 2 of the chicks were found to be dehydrated one quite severly they would not be returned to the nest after banding. Teffi showed no interest in being surrogate mama to the other Peregrines chicks. The chicks were taken to our avian vet Dr Luckwell where one took 10% of its body weight in fluids. They were cared for and are now at CPF Raptor Centre getting care from our Raptor Mom Tracy. She will likely spend tonite with them. Our next move may be to foster them at another site in the city,I will keep the board gang apprised.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 18:00 by carly »

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2009, 11:25 »
Just catching up on the sad news here about the female. :'(   I had checked in there yesterday and today and was wondering where the chicks were and if there was a spot where they could hide.  There has been an adult hanging around there this morning.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2009, 10:48 »
Sorry didn't mean to stir up a hornets' nest.

You didn't  :-*  Just project coordinator curiosity, these kinds of puzzles occur from time to time - remember all the speculation about what happened to Mariah in New York earlier this year ... everyone sat down with photos and videos after the fact to try to fill in the missing pieces.  I'm just interested to hear how all the pieces fit together in Mississauga once the gang there gets a chance to do the same thing ...

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2009, 10:16 »
thats why i was surprised when they said that mom had been dead for a few days/  the video CLEARLY shows a much larger bird feeding the kids.......  and yet they said she was not   I hope they have not jumped the gun in removing the chicks, but again. Mark knows best and we'll trust in him that he knows best for them.  As long as the little ones are okay, it does not change the outcome.    before they said that the third falcon see buzzing around was a juvinille bird but that was weeks ago.  None of the chicks from this nest survived last year, so can't be one of the kids..   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2009, 05:42 »
Didn't even know they had videos as I haven't had time to follow so many sites.    Maybe they are wrong about the date of mom's demise ...I dont' know much about how they tell those sorts of things.  Or maybe they observed something else we don't know or don't want to share at this time.  Sorry didn't mean to stir up a hornets' nest.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:58 by carly »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 22:01 »
the plot thickens...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 21:55 »
Okay, I'm going to be interested in hearing what folks out in Mississauga say after the videos and photos have been reviewed.  I say that because I had a look at two videos - one from the 2nd and one from the 4th (I believe I have those dates right).  What is interesting is that to my eye, the adult feeding the chicks on the 2nd is a male, but the adult on the 4th looks much larger and I assumed the female - but that was before we knew how long the resident female had been dead.  Now I don't know if there is any distortion with the lens, but that second female sure looked female to me ... going to have to go back and check it out again ...

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 21:22 »
Something about the first Friday in June seems to suck. :( :(
Thanks for the heads up Loriann, woulda hurt a whole lot more otherwise. :-*

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 21:11 »
Thanks for the update Carly. this is my pair, five minutes from the house............. I've been sad since you told me earlier today ( and thanks for that,, better than finding out somehow else, I appreciate the personal note).

SO sad........  we have watched these guys float around for some time, worried over their well being during the worst storms, and now this, after last years loss of the kids here too, well damn it these guys deserved a break.

Mom defended her nest and babies to the bitter end, and as both Tracy and I both said, she went out fighting the good fight, saved her kids, and died a birdie hero.......  may she soar .

keeping all fingers crossed for the wee ones. At least they are at a good age to be hacked off to another nest, and they are in fantastic hands with Mark and his wife and team. 

not a good day . 

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 20:56 »
Sad news, carly.  But there are three healthy chicks to carry on ;D, and dad can go do what they do - take another mate. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 20:41 »
I'm not sure how dad is to be honest, I expect he might be upset as instinct drives him to feed and protect them but he was probably in a tough spot.  He's got a new female who's demanding his attention so his loyalties were no doubt torn.    

I know it seems harsh to remove the chicks from dad but sometimes the new mate won't accept them, we are lucky she didn't harm them however she didn't seem to want to protect them from harm or feed them either.  

It will be interesting to see if they try to start their own family now - it's late but not too late in the season.

TPC can explain the biology of all this behaviour much better than I can.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2009, 20:23 »
That's what the hardwiring does for birds, they have chicks they have to feed em come heck or high water.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2009, 20:15 »
thanks for the update Carly. Hope you're ok. And a big thanks to the people who rescued the chicks. How's the dad? He's gotta be wondering where the babies are. What a guy, trying to care for them on his own.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2009, 20:00 »
Sad news at Mississauga MEC site today which I am allowed to share with you-and you'd notice there are no chicks on the cam anymore if you went to look.  They went up to band the 3 chicks there and found the adult female dead out on the ledge.  Based on decomposition of her body, she was killed about 1.5 weeks ago by a new female.  The male has done a decent enough job trying to keep the chicks fed and cared for however for the safety and health of the chicks the decision was made by the MNR and CPF to remove the chicks from the nest permanentely.

This was based on several factors; although the chicks were being fed, the females were 100-150 grams below the expected weight they should be at their age.  All were dehydrated, hungry and keening.  The new female apparently has not been seen even entering the nestbox since she won the territorial fight.  She did not put up any defense at all of the chicks or show any interest in them being removed.

They were taken to a vet and spent the day there and are now rehydrated and have had some vitamins - didn't know they gave falcons vitamins!  They are on the way to a falcon care facility, where for the next few days they will be fed to their hearts content and then either prepared for a hack release or fostered out.

The deceased resident female there was not a banded bird so we do not know who she was but she was quite a fireball they said, may her spirit soar free !

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 05:07 »
Better late than never, Mississauga MEC peregrine cam will be up this afternoon!  Three hatches here!

You can see the new web camera at: http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/Mississauga/index.htm

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 19:01 »
Nice update story that includes a Mississaug alumni hatched there in 2003 named Tonga who is successful raising her own families in Michigan, and one from King St also in Michigan at another site who has quite an incredible and tragic background and ouch- having your tale frozen to a concrete ledge...that's gotta hurt!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/mississauga-executive-centre/

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 18:22 »
ah. always..... unfortunately i usually have a big dog on the other arm and steady pictures don't always happen.. if you are out this way some time, there is an entire family unit of red-tailed hawks congregating and circling over the park at Burnhamthorpe and Credit Woodlands .   I saw no less than six of them soaring like vultures up there last night. ( drive. eyes forward, not UP). perhaps if the weather allows on the weekend we'll head up there for a try at some pictures..

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 18:08 »
Bring a camera Loriann!!  ;)

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 18:03 »
Good news considering the storm a few weeks back. I thought for sure those birds would be somewhere in Buffalo after those winds, I'm sure I saw Dorthy and Toto go by hollering something about not being in Kansas anymore.  good news!  I'll have to wander up there and have a look..................live about five minutes away from the Executive centre buildings.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 16:41 »
last egg in a nest is usually laid after incubation starts - always takes us about a week to find out if we have many we actually have in a nest ... might have happened here ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 16:29 »
Well looks like someone can't count because there are 3 chicks that hatched here - or mama had one hidden somewhere ;D ;D

Congratulations MEC management and staff!!

I had the opportunity to to make a quick stop at the MEC nest site today after my presentations in Milton, and as I had suspected,, we have confirmation of a hatch - TIMES THREE!!  The adult male was currently keeping his new family members warm when the adult female arrived shortly after I arrived about 2:30 pm.. The pair did a shift change with the adult female arriving with food to feed her new family.  The hatchlings (approx. 24 to 36 hours old at the oldest) only ate a thimble size portion of food that took the adult female all of 4 minutes to complete feeding all three hatchlings.  Unable to hold their heads up for longer than a few seconds, they were each fed after some coaxing by the adult female.  While the photos that I have added with this post aren’t the best as they were taken with with my point and shoot digital camera of the small TV monitor that displays the live camera image.  Sadly, no leg bands of the either of the adults was observed during this visit.  But its only a matter of time before we get an ID on the happy pair.  Stay tuned……Enjoy!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 05:19 »
Mark has an update, a terratorial battle and only 2 eggs being incubated now - wow I had no idea!

Mark Nash Reports:
This afternoon I finally got a “peek” at the clutch of  eggs when the adult  male stood up to adjust himself and exposed two dark reddish brown coloured eggs.  Finally my long wait paid off  after utilizing the small monitor that is hooked up to the colour nest box camera.  There are only two eggs  currently being incubated with no sign of the other two eggs in the nest box.   No hatchlings as yet.  I can only speculate that the territorial battles that occurred several weeks ago with the two adult females battling it out for the nest box caused the destruction of the other two eggs that were laid.   While the adult female was no where to be found at this time, I could hear her vocalizing on several occasions throughout the several hours that I was on site.  Stay tuned, - More to come as a hatch is expected in the next week!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2009, 10:41 »
I've asked Frank in my Monday morning report email if he knows the status of them.  If I hear anything back I will let you all know.  I think all the new pairs, the territorial fights, new pairs displacing old time residents has really thrown everyone for a loop this year...no doubt everything will get straightened out and we'll be back to some sort of normal soon. 

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 09:12 »
I saw this on the web page a week or so ago, but no update since tha wicked, wicked wind storm that area had last weekend.. when we were up there the wind was blowing at hurricane speed, over 106 km per hour past the ledge where the birds are.  We saw kids blown off their bikes, a woman into a fence, and more than one piece of furniture blow past us. 

I hope they are okay, because that wind was brutal.  Square one's parking lot looked like a desert war zone that night with all kinds of wind borne debris, sand, and garbage.  There were projeciles coming off the construction site that were dangerously zooming thru the air.  We were driving on Burnhampthorpe right at the hight of the winds, and i could hardly hold my truck straight in the lanes.

fingers crossed for them.. and all who were out that night.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2009 NESTING SEASON

From Mark Nash:

!!! Full time incubation is well under way!
April 23, 2009 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Mark Nash Reports:
Apologizes for the lack of recent updates, but it has been a very difficult spring, (and an early one for the birds for sure). Recent observations of the MEC birds this week would suggest that the pair are in full time incubation with an undisclosed amount of eggs in the nest box. Due to the colder temps and all of the rain and windy conditions, the female has been in hard incubation and not giving us any opportunities to see how many eggs she’s actually incubating. The changing of the guards are happening very quickly and both adults are sticking very tight to the nest bowl. We will continue to monitor as best we can in the hope that the temps will rise, (and that the rain finally stops) so we may get a peak at the secrets that they are hiding. Stay tuned, more to come….

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Executive Centre - 2008 / ? & ?
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 15:25 »
In the issue about harvesting peregrines, with Marks help , I drafted a letter and sent it world wide to  all the cams I knew of and watched and then had my friends of those cams send it to other cams and we gave them an address to write. Of course all we got was a political walk around the park.. but I sure tried .

I got a lot of response from these people and  a lot of letters were sent to
the powers to be in th eUSA

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 13:27 »
LOts of merlins around, so maybe .... definite 'helicopter moves',, so maybe ....

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 13:19 »
If there was a bit of distance between you and the bird it could have been a merlin or an American Kestrel, they both do the dive thing and are falcons .... we get kestrels hunting along the verges of our highways all the time.  They are the only falcon species that can actually hover, the larger ones are actually too large to technically hover though it can look the same if the winds are strong enough to let them hold themselves in place in a "hover".  Great to watch both ways!!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 13:06 »
could be.. i was driving on the highway at the time.. lol

the field is off the highway.. runs along side.. but a distance away.. didn't look like a hawk though... but again.. hard to say when driving.

all i saw was a dive..into some long grass.  and right where i see the pergrines sitting on the light poles..

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 12:52 »
Hey Loriann, have to ask this ... are you sure it was one of the peregrines or could it have been a cooper's hawk?  Peregrines here (southern Canada) don't eat anything that is ground level as a rule, particularly near roadways as it is way too dangerous.  Cooper's Hawks however are mammal as well as bird killers and they do hunt on verges occasionally.  Another raptor is the  Northern Harrier (Marsh Hawk) and they are the right size and closer in colouration to the peregrines than the Cooper's.

Had to ask as it is unusual behaviour ...

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 06:04 »
I was up at the Mississauga Executive centre late yesterday afternoon looking around to see if I could spot anyone.. no luck, but on the way home, saw one of the adults doing a fine imatation of a helecoptor, hovering, then did a super fast dive down into a strip of grass along the 403... I was kind of driving at the time,  ;)  so could not see if he/she was successful in the hunt for dinner, but it was good to see one of them. That's the first time in a week or so.

No sign of the kids though.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 15:41 »
Somewhere in my files, I will see if I can't dig up Canada's response to the US policy of allowing peregrines to be captured from the wild.  Not sure of the date, but it will certainly outline some of our concerns ...

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 15:17 »
I was just wondering though who would think up such a stupid asinine thing anyway? Has humankind already done enough damage to our fine feathered friends? Oh wait yeah it has, and they just wanna be more stupid and drive the birds of Prey to the brink of extinction again *sigh*

winnipeg_gal

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 15:11 »
so the chances of somebody reporting it to see if they can "legally" keep the bird is somewhere between nil and none?  :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 14:43 »
What Mark Nash told us a few weeks ago when he was here for the Etobicoke banding is that the US has agreed that if they capture a 'Banded Canadian Bird' it will be freed, if it has no band then all bets are off.  He said basically it will be a matter of trust because really they can easily remove the bands if no one is around and no one would know the difference.

It seems the second they take something off the endangered list they immediately start hunting it to extinction all over again  :( 

Just to add a twist ... the only way to find out if its a Canadian bird is to check the band numbers and the only way to do that is to report it to a banding agency who then back tracks through their records and notifies the bander (ie: me).  Some US birds have different coloured bands (Midwest birds are black/green) but most are the same colour as ours.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 20:14 »
LOL -- too flippin' funny!  (Or is that "flappin' funny" ?  ;D)

Gotta love this:  "Another correspondent suggested cyclists should install baskets on their bikes with a cat inside. "Or better yet, wear an oversized helmet with a trap-door with a stealth cat inside". "

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 20:04 »
Liz...I think the 'birds' heard you.  :o  Just found this on BBC and thought of your comment 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7470871.stm

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 20:40 »
I thought it was appropriate!   >:(

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 20:31 »
Yes I agree with your take of heck.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 20:30 »
No one agrees with my version of heck?   :)

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 20:10 »
Yeah same here ballywing, and I don't wanna get kicked out of the sandbox. :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 19:31 »
Grrrrrrr - I can find plenty of words to express what I'm thinking Liz -  >:( >:( - but if I used them, TPC would kick me out of her sandbox!!!!  :o

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 19:25 »
I cannot find the words to properly express what I'm thinking, about, "Some people just have no respect."  I SO don't understand anyone who is all about themself.  (I know, the grammar sucks!  You know what I mean.)  Anyone who would remove a band for their own benefit....   If there is a heck, and each person there gets a life-appropraite version, these people will live in perpetuity in Hitchcock's "The Birds"! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 09:38 »
What Mark Nash told us a few weeks ago when he was here for the Etobicoke banding is that the US has agreed that if they capture a 'Banded Canadian Bird' it will be freed, if it has no band then all bets are off.  He said basically it will be a matter of trust because really they can easily remove the bands if no one is around and no one would know the difference.

It seems the second they take something off the endangered list they immediately start hunting it to extinction all over again  :( 

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 09:08 »
http://www.mississaugablogs.com/2007/04/band_on_the_fly.html

A blog from Mississauga regarding the trapping and banding of our urban birds.

Wow, that's shocking and a what a frightening prospect!  :o  >:(  :( 

The date on that blog is over a year ago (April 18, 2007).  Any word on what happened since?

winnipeg_gal

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 09:02 »

I quite agree Enraptured!!  To think of all the adversities they have to overcome just to survive and then to be captured and trained.  The government never knows how to handle anything.  Rather than seizing the birds they should have just purchased ones they could have.  What's the purpose of falconing anymore anyway?  What are they going to do with these birds?  Train them to hunt for them, there's not enough ways already to kill wildlife.  Sorry, I'm soooo not a hunter.

One thing I don't get is if the falcons are still on the threatened lists why are their laws allowing people to own them.  Shouldn't an endangered or threatened species automatically be disallowed for pets or sports or anything else that entitles somebody to capture and own one?

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 23:46 »

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 06:56 »
Toooooooooo cool! Thanks Loriann!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 06:52 »

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 06:46 »
http://www.mississaugablogs.com/2008/06/the_st_lawrence_falcons.html

Something to make you smile... ;D

hats off to the st lawrence cement people for their love and care of the birds who have chosen to nest on their site.

Great pic of one of the fledglings being banded and a short video clip below.

http://galleries.mississauga.com/?view=video&item_id=12905&media_type=VIDEOS&search_date=2008-06-06&category_id=0&month=
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:48 by Loriann »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 16:29 »
That's sad.   :'(  Poor girl. 

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 09:40 »

free5ia

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:27 »
Thanks for that information!  I will keep my eyes to the skies when I am home and check out some of their "haunts" that you mentioned!  Thanks for your help :)

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:00 »
No you can't get into the plant if you are a member of the public. I have access thru my work, but there is a doggie leash free park directly across the road ( Lakeshore ) and you can see them from there if they are flying around.

Once you spot them you can follow them visually back to the towers.

I have more luck seeing the Square one pair.  and you are right.. the fields are rapidly disappearing.  I have seen them at the corner of Burnhamthorpe and Central Parkway in the CN railway track of land.  They used to nest on the top of the medical building at this corner, which was truely scary, its not that high, but two  years ago there were no less than five birds air-borne .. so they managed just fine..

a little bit of a visual distraction when driving however.. lol

also,, if you are in the track of land by the Credit River, near the bridge on burnhamthorpe, you can often see one or both adults on top of the really high light poles that line the bridge.

free5ia

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58 »
Thanks Lori!  Will check them out next month - and try the web search.

The North Miss. ones will not have too many fields left up near Square One soon!  :(

Can the public get on to the grounds of the cement plant or do you have to have an "in" with the employees?  I know a lot of the buildings/plants have pretty high security around there - not sure if the cement plant is the same.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:58 »
Yup its a regular birdie buffet for the St Lawrence pair.  Being right on the lake provides a huge array of choices... yum !.

I live near the Mississauga Executive Centre, and you can see the parents right up until the fall hunting the fields near Square One shopping mall ( Burnhamthorpe and Highway 10 ( hurontario street )).

When the babies fledge, you can often see all of them in the roof tops around the mall if you look carefully.  They seem to like the taller condos on Robert Speck parkway, but there is currently a lot of construction ongoing.. even more tall condos, so not sure if they will hang around there for any length of time this year.

The St Lawrence Pair is harder to spot unless you are on the grounds of the cement plant.  Too many trees and places to hide along the water front to get a clear shot of them.

I was at the plant yesterday ( Monday), but no sign of them.. but it was hot and humid as anything, so if they were smart they were laying up somewhere in the shade.  I find the best time to spot any of them is later in the afternoon, early evening just before the sun goes down.

We had more wild weather last night, and more today, so hopefully everyone is tucked in tight.

I'll keep an eye on them here.. and post any thing I see .

if you go to the Mississauga News web site , they often post things about the birds too.

mississauga.com and follow the links to the news department.  If you go into the search field at the top of the page, and search the site ( not the web) using the words falcons, and executive centre or  st lawrence cement, you will see all the previous stories.

make sure to add st lawrence or executive centre to your search or you will get the MIssissauga Falcons Soccer Team come up.

take care..
Lori.

free5ia

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 20:55 »
Thank you for the update!  Please let me know if you see anything of them (other than the seagull heads!) today/tomorrow.  That was one horrible storm yesterday - and here in Southwestern Ontario we are hunkered down waiting for another to hit :(

I'll be back in Mississauga in July so I'll have to go to both sites and see if I can catch a glimpse of them ... I'm just learning about the Peregrines ... any idea how much longer they will be there, if they are that much older than our Winnipeg family was?

That is so wonderful to know the St. Lawrence cement security cameras are on them - everything I have read about them seems to point to a lot of care and concern by the employees which is great to know!

Thanks for the updates!  They have great meal possibilities with all the seagulls along the lake - smart birds!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 07:21 »
I have not heard or seen anything.. but i know the babies at St. Lawrence are much older, and nearly ready to fledge.  That was some storm that blew thru here last night ( sunday ).  The nest at the cement plant is actually fairly well protected from the elements, so hopefully they are fine.  The cement plant watches the birds on their security cameras, and there is an entire plant of people that keep an eye out for the birds, so they are in great hands. The decapitated seagull heads are always a pleasant sight in the parking lots.. yumm !

I will be down there later today, so i'll check in on them.

I saw the female from the Mississauga Executive Centre nest early yesterday evening, before the storms really rolled in, but have not been up to see the babies in a few days. They are ready to fledge too, so keeping fingers crossed for some nicer weather.  It's still hot, but thats okay..   their nest box is slightly more exposed, but we didn't really get the  wind around the executive centre that some areas did.

I'll post any updates if I have them.

Lori.   :D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:25 by Loriann »

free5ia

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 21:07 »
Any news on how this peregrine family made out in the storms today?  I hear there was a lot of lightning seen in the direction of the cement plant.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 07:18 »
News 

Falcon is now 'part of the family'

Staff photo by Fred Loek
Twenty minutes after a false start yesterday with the banding project of a newly hatched brood of Peregrine falcons at the St. Lawrence Cement plant one of the fledglings decided to try his luck at flying. Luckily, it landed safely so St. Lawrence's Armando Castro was able to pick him up. Today, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources returned to the cement plant to band the bird.  EMAIL        PRINT        REPORT TYPO

By: John Stewart

June 5, 2008 01:47 PM - A 36-day-old falcon banded this morning at the St. Lawrence Cement plant will carry the weight of 200 years of history on its feathered shoulders.

The squawling, mewling 712-gram male chick has been named Clarkson, in honour of the 200th anniversary of the village where he was hatched.

"He was extremely feisty," said St. Lawrence employee Barb Smith, who has been keeping a watchful eye on the falcons since the breed first started to nest on the cement plant six years ago. "He will now be taken up to a high spot on the roof," where his parents will likely feed him until he can fly himself, which is expected within a week.

Clarkson and a second chick, who is still in the nest, were scheduled to be banded on Wednesday by Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources biologist Mark Heaton, working in cooperation with the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.

But that attempt had to be abandoned when it was realized the chicks were about 10 days older than estimated. They are ideally banded within 24-28 days of hatching, when they're smaller.

As the Ministry crew prepared to send City of Mississauga employee John Miller down a rope line to retrieve the baby chicks, they moved to the edge of the rooftop and appeared to be preparing to jump.

Heaton said later that, had the banding effort gone ahead, it's likely the chicks would have become so frightened, they might have jumped to their deaths.

Not one hour after Canadian Peregrine Foundation executive director Mark Nash predicted that not all was lost for the banding effort, and the baby birds would fall from the rooftop as they attempted to learn to fly, Clarkson fell to the ground.

He was placed in a rescue box by 30-year St. Lawrence employee Armando Castro, who constantly monitors nest activity throughout the year and has been dubbed by plant workers the "grandfather" of the 13 chicks hatched at St. Lawrence over the years.

After being banded, Clarkson was returned to a rooftop high above the plant near the falcons' nesting site.

Smith told The News that the falcons are now "part of the family" at St. Lawrence. "We know they are endangered, but the fact is that 13 chicks have now been born here. That means we all feel better because we're that much closer to taking them off the (endangered) list."

jstewart@mississauga.net

http://mississauga.com/article/14887

This is the most recent article from Mississauga on our babies here... there is a  really good picture if you follow the link above.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:23 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 11:00 »
This is the camera located at the Mississauga Executive centre, near Square one shopping mall, in 'downtown' Misssissauga.

There has been no camera all year, and no updates.  THe chicks are about a week away from fledging, not sure what the hold up is or was.  Last year we had a live feed, and updated pictures.

As i mentioned once before, we live really close to this, and see the birds daily. 

The banding has gone ahead ( finally )... so we expect that we'll see all of them zipping around soon enough.  four babies this year !

Last year there were three, but one died when it crashed to the ground on its first flight.

Hopefully this years batch will fare better.

I'll keep checking for updates or pictures in the paper and post them here.

Lori.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2014 / Sante & Rogue
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:00 »
Mississauga Executive Centre
Mississauga, Ontario

webcam: www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/Mississauga/index.htm

This site is partnership between the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, Oxford Properties, Panasonic Canada, kyreach Window Cleaning Inc., D.G. Consulting Co. and Dan Gill.

Resident Pairs & Offspring
  • info hopefully coming soon
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:09 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2008-20
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:39 »
2008 NESTING SEASON

Banding delayed for falcon babies

Staff photo by Fred Loek
The St. Lawrence Cement Peregrine Falcons have hatched and the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, as well the Ministry of Natural Resources, came to band the "baby birds" today — only trouble was, these birds were babies no longer as they were out of the nest.         

By: John Stewart

June 4, 2008 05:19 PM - An attempt to band two baby peregrine falcons this afternoon at the St. Lawrence Cement plant had to be abandoned because there was a danger that the frightened chicks might jump to their deaths.

"The chicks look to be about 35 days old, which is about a week past the time they should be banded," Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources biologist Mark Heaton said after the attempt was truncated. "We had to abandon for the safety of the birds.

"The ideal time to band the birds is between the time they are 24-28 days old," Heaton continued. "Once you get beyond 32 days, there's high risk. They are fledging, but they are not ready to fly yet. If we had proceeded, the eldest bird likely would have jumped and died."

The Ministry and the Canadian Peregrine Foundation band the birds so they can track their movements and identify them in future.

"It's disappointing, but the safety of the birds must come first," said Barb Smith, an employee of St. Lawrence who has kept a keen eye on the falcons since they first began nesting at the Clarkson cement plant six years ago.

Just because today's attempt failed does not mean that the birds will not be banded, however.

Canadian Peregrine Foundation co-founder and executive director Mark Nash explained that the chicks will likely fall to the ground at least once or twice in the next 10 days as they try to learn to fly.

"It's not a matter of if they will fall, it's a matter of when," he said.

His words proved prophetic two hours later, when one of the chicks fell. It was placed in a rescue box. Heaton will return to the plant tomorrow morning to band the bird, which will be named Clarkson in honour of the village's 200th anniversary.

Smith said that all 200 employees of the cement plant have embraced the birds. "They're part of the family now," said the Mississauga native. "We know they are endangered, but the fact is that 13 chicks have now been born here. That means we're that much closer to taking them off the (endangered) list."

Earlier in the day, at the city's other falcon-nesting site, the Mississauga Executive Centre at 1 Robert Speck Pkwy., four peregrine chicks were successfully banded — but not until after a major equipment problem was resolved.

Students from Sts. Peter and Paul Elementary School walked to the MEC to witness the banding in what has become an annual tradition. It almost had to be cancelled as well when the motor of the window-washing swing-stage used to remove the chicks from their rooftop nest failed to work. After a 90-minute wait, the motor was fixed and the banding completed.

** from our local paper... St Lawrence Cement has cameras, but are only accessable via their security systems.

The plant is located right on the shore of Lake Ontario, and the falcons dine on seagulls, often leaving only the decapitated heads in the parking lot of the employees.  THere is a picture on this article, and the babies are HUGE.. ( compared to the manitoba ones ).

link to source: http://www.mississauga.com/news_home
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:06 by The Peregrine Chick »