Author Topic: ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2008-20  (Read 31531 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Who is who at this site please Carly :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
First hatch for Midnight and Renegade here at 4.23 pm today.  They removed an egg a few days ago and were down to two.  Hopefully the remaining egg hatches to give this one a sibling.  Last year they only had one and she died on fledge hitting the reflective glass.  Year before that they had two and lost one to the glass.  Talons crossed this year is better for this family.  :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2019 NESTING SEASON

Midnight and Renegade are still the resident pair here at MEC.  She laid her third egg this morning around 11 am and full time incubation has begun.

Last year their only offspring did not survive the fledge period so we're hoping a better year for them.  Their site is similar to ours with the reflective glass towers so every year they lose one or two to the glass :(
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 15:58 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2017 / ? & ?
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 23:10 »
2017 NESTING SEASON

Mississauga Executive Centre was the first Canadian site with an egg this year.

March 10, 2017, first egg: then the cam went down. After it came back up, there were four eggs on March 18.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2014 NESTING SEASON

Rogue is the female here - she was also here year before last but was injured during a territorial battle and spent a year and a half in rehab.  The female that displaced her was killed during a bad summer storm last year and when Rogue was released a few weeks later she came right back home and resumed her place.

She and Sante had the first eggs laid in North America - that we know of and the first hatch this year.  She must have laid at the end of February during the minus 30 temps and as such only one egg hatched.

We were all shocked to see a hatch on April 2nd as the cam came back up this year.  The little male accidentally fledged on Friday and was sitting on top of a lower roof top as of yesterday.  Hopefully he is okay.  Watchers are on the ground looking out for him.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2013 / Sante & Cass
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2013, 20:35 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

From Loriann in Mississauga ....

As of April 13th we have FOUR eggs.. Cass ( 2009 michigan ) and Sante are going to be parents!

The web cam has been live on and off.. the weather here has been a factor.  The weather has been miserable ( almost as bad as yours), cold, wet, windy, snow, freezing rain, ice pellets, freezing fog, locusts, frogs etc..

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Executive Centre - 2012 / Sante & ?
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05 »
You are welcome AnimalLover  :)

(moving this to the MEC thread .... )

Offline AnimalLover

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35 »
I don't know about that story I'm afraid Animal Lover, however, in Ontario at the Mississauga Executive Centre (MEC for short) they had a rescue and taken out of town story ... might that be the one you are thinking about?  MEC does have a chick of theirs nesting down in Michigan right now ...

I haven't checked the Cdn Peregrine Foundaion website for MEC updates and haven't heard from my little bird in Ontario, but here is their observations page:  http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/mississauga-executive-centre/

If this isn't the story, someone else on the Forum might have some information for you ..

Yes Tracy this is the story I was looking for thank you very much!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2012, 10:12 »
I don't know about that story I'm afraid Animal Lover, however, in Ontario at the Mississauga Executive Centre (MEC for short) they had a rescue and taken out of town story ... might that be the one you are thinking about?  MEC does have a chick of theirs nesting down in Michigan right now ...

I haven't checked the Cdn Peregrine Foundaion website for MEC updates and haven't heard from my little bird in Ontario, but here is their observations page:  http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/mississauga-executive-centre/

If this isn't the story, someone else on the Forum might have some information for you ..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:15 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline AnimalLover

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2012, 08:31 »
(Originally posted on the Ask the PeregrineChick thread ... )

I don't know where this question goes so I will put it here this question is for anyone who can answer it.  There was a Letter I think it was from Narural Resources or a Peregrine Falcon Project in the US about a Peregrine chic that fledged and was taken by I think a falconer to a animal hospital far out of town.  I was looking for a update if there is one but I forgot where it was from somewhere in the US I hope someone can remember.  The Natural Resources or Peregrine Project in that US city was not very happy about the chic being taken with out them being notified I was interested to know of the outcome for this poor Peregrine chic if you heard anything further thank you.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2012, 22:04 »
This dad has been wonderful, and Janet has proven to be a determined fledging. 

Its this kind of background, that if Janet survives the next 12-24 months could make her into the next uber-female-peregrine.  The kind we watch on webcams and marvel at!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2012, 21:48 »
The latest on this story from BCAW is that Sante has been heroic in his efforts to feed his chick, Janet, and protect her from the renegade female.  Whenever the new female goes to attack Janet, Sante distracts her, and so far, Janet has been able to hold her own while flying, despite taking hits from the female.  This dad has been wonderful, and Janet has proven to be a determined fledging.  I sure hope things work out well for this troubled site.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2012, 18:53 »
What a sad story for this nest :'( 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36 »
Oh no, this is, indeed, very sad news. :'( I do hope that Sante can continue to feed and protect the remaining juvenile, Janet.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2012, 23:14 »
Another note from Loriann ....

Well we have lost our female to God knows where, and now two of the chicks [Jennifer & Skyreach] have been forced out of the nest to their deaths by an intruder female.  One remaining chick [named Janet], we'll see what happens.. the other two fledged in a panic and down they came.

The falcon folks are understandably upset with this year's losses ...

Full story here: http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/mississauga-executive-centre/