Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 63900 times)

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 17:19 »
Uh oh, both George and Weezie are there now, one in the nestbox, the other on top.  Didn't they learn anything from last year?    :(

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 15:08 »
Oh no!  Either George or Weezie is on the perch right now checking out the nestbox.  I hope they're not getting any ideas.   :(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 00:08 »
Yes, it is Gord Court I am referring to.  He is incredible and has a great love for falcons. He has since he was a youngster. He worked with the Tefrys out at  wainwright  for the peregrine recovery as a teenager.There was a big birding conference at the university yesterday and tomorrow and they were all sharing information.

We have become friends and he is great to work with. He does everything possible to make sure all our  peregrine sites are as safe as possible.  He  shares many stories and is always interested in what I have to say.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 23:29 »
I'm assuming the Gord you are talking about Bev is Gord Court ... if it was, just so folks know, Gord is one of the preminent peregrine falcon experts anywhere.

Having said that, Radisson outwitted him in 2008 when he tried to "catch" her to put a transmitter on her.  Good Radisson, smart Radisson, you do your parents proud.  ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 21:22 »
Thanks CArly.  Gord is also going to see if he can get  us a better cam.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 19:58 »
Sounds like you had a very productive meeting Bev!  You are so lucky to be able to work with Gord - he obviously cares about the falcons.  Great news that he is going to add new gravel and fix it up and double 'yay' for making the cover for that white contraption!

I really wish you luck with a nestbox for Miss Edmonton, she deserves it!  Given the charisma and enthusiasm you showed during the interviews and media circus last year, I have no doubt that if anyone could convince him you could!  Good luck!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 19:42 »
I met with Gord today.
First of all I did see two RAvens at the river on the way to the site. Later Peter and I saw 2 at the Uni but by Ed building.
I brought Peter along for a break.
all the biologists are at the University for the next few days sharing stories and giving talks on peregrines and other birds, so Gord was  kind enough to meet us and talk with us.

First week of April ,which is next week , he is going to add new gravel to the box. He asked me about the state of the box and with all the stuff in there they will fix it up.

Also he is going to address the problem of the white structure by the box.  It will still remain there but he is making a cover from canvas that will fit over top after banding so the young will not drop inside.  this is great news.

We discussed the interference from maintenance workers and he will talk to them again.  We will also try and coordinate all the security people so they are in the loop.  
And no media at the banding.  He also was upset last year about it.

He is also giving me the name of the man that owns the2 buildings where Miss Edmonton  roosts and I will try and coax him into letting Gord put up a nest box.

We will keep a watch on the ravens. hopefully the storms in the USA will not delay our birds.

We were also talking about transmitters and he also thinks that they may  delay the migration back here of the peregrines and so sometimes if their site is gone they will not breed that year.  It is being studied. So we will be carefully watching the return of the two at Genesse.

It was a good meeting
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 19:44 by bev. »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 17:25 »
Interior of the nest box looks littered on the cam shot, but it's not obviously sticks like last year when G&W took up residence.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:04 »
I will  be meeting  with Gord today at noon. will report back anything I can share :) :)

I will look for ravens

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:06 »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 17:42 »
They will only just have arrived because it was nice and empty all weekend long.  Perhaps Radisson and Damon will get their little feathered butts in gear and get home earlier this year so we don't have another year of evictions!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 16:07 »
OH NO...GEORGE AND WEEZIE ARE ON CAM IN THE NESTBOX!!!!!!  :-[

THEY JUST LEFT BUT WERE THERE EARLIER TOO, BCAW TOOK SCAPS OF THEM.  PROBABLY OUT GETTING NESTING MATERIALS AGAIN.  *SIGH*

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:24 »
You said it beautifully Carly, thanks for everything Bev    :-*to you both

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:26 »
Bev & Mr Bev:  I just started going through your slideshows - they are wonderful and bring back such fond memories!  They were a great family to watch and of course being Trey and Princess's grandkids makes them even more special  :-*  Loved the shots of Froona and the Magpie kids..lol that was great! 

I can imagine how you feel about losing Mr White and whether or not you did the right thing, always that way in hindsight and we love them so much, it's so hard to lose them.  You guys did a great job this year, without you all we may have lost more than one.  I know that's small consolation but it may be that Mr White had an internal injury that was fatal and would passed on no matter where he was.

I remember my introduction here to the PF's when the female Diana crashed into the building and my boss yelled and I ran into her office and that was the first I ever saw a peregrine falcon or heard of one - seems like so long ago.  They picked her up and took her to the vet but to no avail as her injuries were too severe from the hit - so try not to be so hard on yourselves, there may have been nothing you could have done to save him.  At least he got to look into the eyes of a human that had nothing but love and the best intentions for him.

You should all be proud of yourselves for the wonderful job you did watching over that family and because of all your efforts and devotion, three beautiful young juveniles have a strong chance of survival and alot of people have been introduced to the wonderful world of peregrines!

Thank you for the fantastic photos and for sharing them with all of us!  Looking forward to seeing our girl Radisson again soon and of course the lovely Miss Edmonton too  ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 13:24 »
The magpies clean out the nest box. But the ravens can nest in it and that is why we do not mind the magpies.

check out my slideshows I  just  entered in the 2009 thread for Edmonton . It was a lot of work and I know they are late but sometimes life just happens.

I hope you enjoy and remember