Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 63927 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 23:12 »
well tonight  was very exciting.   :) :)

I do not know if I will get pictures done tonight but I will write my report. It may be long.

As usual we start out ,up at the parkade,   but tonight  we stayed there.

Anyone watching will have seen the ravens go to the nest box. The reason being as there was another Pair of ravens that entered the territory and there was a raven fight. 
But I think George and Louise were victorious. what a racket and we had ring side seats.  The ravens stayed by us most of the night and we watched them preen each other and play kissy face. They are quite remarkable to watch.

Then they took off west of campus tower.

Now my poor hubby is freezing because he did not listen to his dear wife,   to dress warm. when the sun starts going down and the wind picks up, it is cold. ::) ::)

About 8pm , we got the treat  we have been waiting for.
In flies one falcon, no make that two  :-* :-*

They circled the clinical science  building and then the male went on the same perch as last night , on Campus tower.  Yes, that was the male last night. Peter said it was, but it looked so dark because of the light. Well his nice white breast showed tonight . And  the female roosted on the south east jut of the clinical science.  What a site to behold.  but not a sound. They were so comfortable together . I do not want to go out on a limb and say this is Radisson and Damon until we have bands. What the heck, I am almost positive it is them.  :) :)

Part 2 on next response

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 07:53 »
Hi lorac,

I will  be sending an e-mail to everyone soon

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 07:51 »

Hi carly,
One of my friends is going to try and check the transmitter information today.  she will be in the office. Our resident expert is out in the field. but she feels they should be on their way home

Hi bcbird,
when I took the pictures ,I thought ,too much brown but then I checked back on last season and saw that sometimes the lighting makes things appear ,what they are not. So we will have to wait until they come to the box. Peter and I will keep checking at site.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 05:22 »
Thank you Bev and Mr Bev !  I hope all the Edmonton falcons show up soon!  Has Miss Edmonton started her journey back yet?

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 00:07 »
Wow, thanks for posting this evening, Bev. 
I know you said the lighting makes things tricky, but do you think it could be one of the juvies of last year?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 23:54 »
well Peter and I  saw the falcon this evening and then waited until it turned in for the night . I may have to buy a summer apartment at the U of A  :grin:  :grin: (wish I had the money)

I only picked a few of what I took. the falcon would not look at me :-)  :-)

Of course, poor Mr. Bev. he looked away and I had given him the camera, and he missed the picture of the falcon flying off for the night. so we will have to  make a plan :grin:  :grin:

Looking back over shots from last October, just before Radison left, maybe :wink:  :wink:

the first one is of the falcon tucked in for the night.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 22:52 »
Peter and I just  came back from the clinical science site and yes we saw a falcon. I was excited but guardedly so.   It was on one of the transmitter things on College Plaza at about 8Pm. We took pictures but cannot make out who. the sun was shining(even though it was very cold)and so the breast looked very brown. I am hoping this is the lighting.
the falcon was not on the antennae as usual but it could have been earlier.
We were walking around and came back and saw it.
We also saw the ravens which did not hang around long.  One actually landed right close to me ,when were on the roof . And of course , I clapped my hands and told them to go and find a nice tree :grin:  :grin:

We saw it, the falocn,  turn in for night and it did turn in where our guys hang out but.. I will not say if it was one of ours. We have to wait for better pictures and bands.  that means it has to go to box.

When I looked at my photos and saw how dark the chest, Peter reminded me of the lighting.

so we will see.
 I have all sorts of butterflies.

Peter will download camera right away and I will post a few shots. Be back in a bit

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 21:07 »
Good luck and stay warm Bev  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 18:38 »
Peter and I are heading  out soon.

the person who saw the falcon last night is someone I know and  respect and lives in the aprtments at the university.

but it could also be a falcon passing through. but whee it was perched was Radissons favorite eating spot. 
Hopefully I can find something out.
It is cold so I will bundle up.

lorac

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 15:03 »
I am so looking forward to our peregrines coming back to CSB again this year.  I am also looking forward to reconnecting with our friends on the Fledge Watch.  Lawn chairs and binoculars are redy to go!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 07:51 »
Possible Radisson sighting by a fan on the BCAW board just reported at a spot Bev says she likes to eat!  Bev is going to go down and check it out today.  Oh I hope it's her, I miss her  :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 22:54 »
With seeing a falcon at Genesse ,I asked my chauffeur, Mr. Bev, to drive me to a few sites.  No one was at home at Clinical science, no one at Weber building, and no one at Misrecordia hospital and no one at Inland cement.

Gord had the box moved at Inland cement to a building right behind it, so the juveniles will hopefully not hop any more trains ;) ;)Peter and I checked it out. I was a bit worried that the falcons would not see it(silly me) but it is within eye view of the other site. this one is much better as it is more protected and faces parking lot instead of trains.
Of course, my ace in the hole, with Peter, is Tim Hortons.

will go again tomorrow after 6pm that is a better time to see them.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 17:07 »
no signs of falcons on april 1 but we did see our ravens . Not at box though, Further down street and then we followed them. they left the campus area.

We are going down again this evening. Better time to go becasue they could be anywhere during day, when they come back.  For us they may be late. Weather in Montana is crappy and they have to come that way.  Wind rain and snow.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 11:54 »
I have photos but I do not want to jinx us and post them . they were busy at box last Friday and I let Gord know. this is the first appearance ,to my knowledge since then.
Peter and I are going down tonight again to see if we have falcons yet. 

I do not need this again.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 17:45 »
Now happily perched on the camera.  Sheesh.