Author Topic: Radisson - 2010 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 204190 times)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2010 / Ivy & Princess
« Reply #4965 on: November 30, 2010, 16:17 »
Ha GCG, Princess would yell and shriek, fly around and harass poor defensless pigeons, and then she'd kill a few and eat them. ;D ;D
I'm just happy that the snow held off as long as it did, going to make for a shorter winter.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4964 on: November 30, 2010, 15:59 »
 >:( Have been walking around the house all day, wings flapping, thinking "where to migrate". Blizzard warning south Manitoba, Winnipeg, not yet included. In the past ten days, four bouts of snow and wind, Mother Nature is going to make us pay for the modest weather we have had. Time to think about becoming a "Snowbird". WWPD? What would Princess do?  ??? ??? ???

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4963 on: November 30, 2010, 14:01 »
Don't mind the colder weather (as long as it's not -40) but the snow is more than getting to me. I'm tired of shovelling!!!!!!

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4962 on: November 30, 2010, 12:42 »
::) I don't know about the rest of you, but four bouts of snow and wind in ten days, I'm ready to migrate!!!!  >:(

I'm with you, Gemcitygemini -- somehow it seems like much longer than ten days, doesn't it???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4961 on: November 30, 2010, 12:13 »
 ::) I don't know about the rest of you, but four bouts of snow and wind in ten days, I'm ready to migrate!!!!  >:(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4960 on: November 26, 2010, 00:11 »
1030 hrs (local) - no one visible on the west side of the Hotel ... and no footy-prints or leftovers either :)
Are you close to officially declaring the birdies gone for the winter, TPC?

Offline wpgfan

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #4959 on: November 25, 2010, 20:20 »
nice picture Pam thank you for sharing it

Offline wpgfan

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #4958 on: November 25, 2010, 20:13 »
I find it hard to believe that the peregrines are still around in this weather.

Offline The Friesens

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4957 on: November 25, 2010, 20:12 »
Who would have thought that picking a place would be so complicated for our feathered friends.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4956 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29 »
1030 hrs (local) - no one visible on the west side of the Hotel ... and no footy-prints or leftovers either :)

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4955 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18 »
Just got back from my European vacation..I looked for peregrins there but did not see any....I thought when I returned (today) that there would be no news as the last one would have left.But I missed alot in the last two weeks.I am back to looking out the window again.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4954 on: November 21, 2010, 22:20 »
As Eagle said, yep, two different birds...  does that help ?
Yes, helps alot. And very interesting family history, to boot! Thanks! :)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4953 on: November 21, 2010, 19:43 »
This is soooo wonderful, imagine that there are so many kiddies discovering that Winnipeg is/could be a perfect place to raise some young'uns

TPC, need some help putting up some new nest boxes??   ;D ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4952 on: November 21, 2010, 19:27 »
Oh....I'm just so ecstatic about all of this!

I personally don't care if there were seven birds or more visiting the Radisson, or anywhere in Winnipeg for that matter.  I just like knowing that there are falcons coming back and knowing their history.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4951 on: November 21, 2010, 16:38 »
I'm pretty sure from what I can see of her band and given her juvenile age, that its Alice from Grand Forks - one of Terminator's kids.  T2 is not a small bird, so she could just be taking after her mum ...
So now I am a bit confused, TPC... Was there a bird at the Radisson in the last few weeks by the name of Sandie and now there is a bird named Alice? ??? Are we talking about 2 different birds here? :-\

As Eagle said, yep, two different birds.  The bird I think is Alice from Grand Forks spent most the summer in the southern part of the city all by her lonesome.  Shouldn't say that, she's too young to breed (hatched last year) and she showed absolutely no "come-hither" behaviour, so she knows she's too young to breed.  More than half of her plumage is juvenile, in fact way more juvenile than I am used to seeing on after-hatch-year birds.  And she's huge.  Looking at her on the top of a building my first thought was, "what's a red-tailed hawk doing there" then I realized it was her.  As I said, she's huge.  And she's a Manitoba grandkid - Terminator from Brandon is her Mom.  Her Dad is Roosevelt from Fargo and he's a brother of Holly, who is Terminator's Mom :)

Sandy on the other hand is from Fargo - she's a half-sister of Roosevelt and Holly and she's the one who came to visit the Radisson last October (2009) and then returned this October with Trey's and Princess' Ty in tow.  She looks like most peregrines at her age and she's about standard size - no where close to "Alice's" heft.

does that help ?