Author Topic: UND Tower - 2010 / Terminator & Roosevelt  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: UND Tower - 2010 / Terminator & Roosevelt
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 16:13 »
An article on the UND nest - it is fairly general and doesn't mention any specifics:

A new roost
Two falcons return to campus on the UND water tower near the Hyslop.
By Shelby Thorlacius
Published: Friday, April 23, 2010

They are the fastest creatures on the planet, reaching speeds of 200 miles per hour, and two of them are right here on campus. This year two Peregrine Falcons are nesting on the UND water tower for the first time in this university’s history.

They had previously been nesting on the “Smiley” water tower, but as we all know, it has been taken down. So, last fall their nest was moved to its new location, with hope that the birds would find it, and thankfully, they did. It was moved with the efforts of avid bird watcher Tim Driscoll.

The two resident falcons are named Roosevelt, a male, and Terminator, a female. They lived on smiley in 2009 as well, but before winter came, they fled. Driscoll moved their nest, and Smiley came down.

This has been the third year that Grand Forks has hosted perigrine falcons, and Roosevelt has not always been the dominating male. In 2008 Terminator had an other mate named Bear.

In 2008 while living on the smiley water tower, Bear and Terminator gave birth to a baby falcon named Ozzie. He was named Ozzie after the man who painted the smiley face on the old water tower, James W. “Ozzie” Osmundson.
Sadly, Ozzie the falcon passed away not too long after he was born. He struck an electric wire, which caused his death in July of 2008. He was the only offspring of Bear and Terminator.

More . . .

http://www.dakotastudent.com/features/a-new-roost-1.1415042

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 20:49 »
When I met with Dave & Tim in January, we talked about a webcam but some locations are just not as easy or cam-friendly as others.  There is potential here but the tower does have a couple of technical difficulties.

So maybe, maybe not.  And don't know when ...  :-\

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 19:38 »
Welcome home, Roosevelt and Terminator! I would love to see a webcam at this nest site.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:51 »
Great news TPC!!  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 23:31 »
Roosevelt was identified by his band number today -

From Tim D @ 1827 hrs
About 4:00 p.m. today a male Peregrine Falcon was perched in the UND Tower nestbox. Both Terminator and the male flew off for about 30 minutes. Terminator returned alone. After about another hour, by then Dave Lambeth was also observing, the male returned and joined Terminator on the tower railing. I think Dave got better photos than I did. This male has a black over red band that is consistent with Roosevelt (resident male from 2009). Terminator was receptive to this male and even let him fly next to her. Hopefully this is Roosevelt and he and Terminator can get down to business in the near future.

From Dave @ 2047 hrs (after he had time to check his photos!)
To follow up on Tim's message, one of my images taken tonight confirms that the male Peregrine at the UND tower is Roosevelt. The left band is black over red, 16 over A. I think we can be sure now that a nesting attempt will occur using the box on the UND water tower.

Last year, Roosevelt was first identified on Apr 4. This year, as I posted earlier, a peregrine flew by the tower on Apr. 4. We have no clue as to whether it was Roosevelt. During the past week, there have been a few indications that a 2nd peregrine was around but as far as I know it was not seen on the tower and it was not identified.

Last year, after the initial identification on Apr 4, there was a few days last year when Roosevelt was not seen (of course the tower is not watched every minute, or hour). On Apr 9 last year, Hurricane, a young male raised in Winnipeg, was identified as the bird on the tower. That bird was only seen once and a few days later, about Apr 14 or 15, Roosevelt was again identified as the male using the tower. Roosevelt and Terminator fledged 3 young, two of which we think survived to migrate south.

Way to go Roosevelt, a little late home but home at least ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 23:24 »
Its confirmed, Terminator, one of our Brandon birds, has returned to Grand Forks so the Grand Forks, North Dakota Board has been moved to Manitoba Peregrines Section.

here's the link to make it easy  ;)  http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/board,8.0.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 23:33 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 00:15 »
Terminator was spotted at the new nestbox at the UND Campus last Saturday.  They are waiting for Roosevelt to arrive now ....

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
UND Tower - 2010 / Terminator & Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:59 »
Had an opportunity to check out the new nestbox on the campus of UND in Grand Forks.  Looks like a great site and it is just a few seconds away (as the peregrine flies) from the old Smiley Tower location.  Box really does look good and the UND campus has lots of flat-topped roofs to make for easier first landings by young peregrines.  Not so many power lines and utility poles - one of their chicks from last year (Ethel) is thought to have electrocuted herself after she fledged.  The old tower is completely gone now so there will be no hanging out pining over what was lost and the new site has been visited by the pair last year - not for nesting but for roosting and feeding.  Looks good despite being a bit further away from the river but we will have to wait for the peregrines to return before we can say for sure.  And why water towers?  They are pretty much the highest thing in the city - there is only one building higher and it's in the open with no good perching or nesting spots from what I can see.

Only a couple of more months and hopefully T2 and Roosevelt will be back and pleased with their new condo!

(I'm hoping to get some photos of the new site from Dave L - when I do, I'll be sure to post them here or at least links to them here)