Author Topic: Radisson - 2009 / Trey & Princess  (Read 391361 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: Radisson - 2009 / March
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 14:10 »
Dan in Brandon reminded me when we were chatting, we have found that its usually on average 2 weeks after the merlins arrive that the peregrines appear.

Yes, Spring is in the air...the familiar ki-ki-ki-ki of two Merlins heard in the North-west part of the city yesterday/Mar 16th. If Dan is correct...then the timer is Bang on...))

Cheers !

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 14:40 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 00:39 »
I heard my first merlin today and as Dan in Brandon reminded me when we were chatting, we have found that its usually on average 2 weeks after the merlins arrive that the peregrines appear.

Spy-cam is up and running, so when they appear on the east side of the Radisson (their favourite side in the spring), we'll spot them quickly.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 19:26 »
Not sure if I should put this hear and if not, sorry.
I was just looking out my window which faces south and I saw a small flock of geese flying over. If they are back, then not long for our Peregrine pair. I am so looking forward to seeing them.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 14:57 »
I can hardly wait for the first reports about Princess and Trey.  Great news that there will be another pair of eyes looking out for them this year.
I really hope that the sound works out as it is so cool to hear them vocalizing.   8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Radisson - 2009 / Trey & Princess
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 00:28 »
Spy-cam is up and operating (thanks Larry) but no sign of anyone at the Radisson yet.   Will of course post as soon as I see anything!  Besides Pam and Mother Hen, we have a new spotter on the east side of the building ...thanks!

Technically, we are still going to try to include sound in the nest box this year, but again, its a question of if we can get the technology to cooperate. In the next couple of weeks we will be testing all the cameras and getting all the connections up and running so that when the birds return we don't need to disturb them with last minute preparations.  We are starting early because these things always take longer than we think they are going to, but we are going to try to get everything done early ... would be nice if the weather cooperated and didn't drop into the freezer again ...

And as a related note, I've been watching the hawk migration reports and other than a couple of sightings (4 birds) that were most likely overwintering birds in the eastern US, there has been no movement of peregrines north.  This morning, there was one spotted in Vera Cruz, Mexico that looks promising however, its the only southern location with a sighting and its a common route.  Eagles (bald and golden) followed by turkey vultures are the big migrators so far, not so many hawks (but still some) and virtually no falcon species have been reported.  Will keep y'all updated ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Radisson - 2009 / Trey & Princess
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 20:34 »
Trey is our resident male.  He was hatched here on the Radisson in 1996, the only male in a nest of three.  His parents were T-Rex and Madame.  He is the only chick from this nest that we know has survived.  He was observed in 1998 on the St Boniface Basilica and then in 1999 on the Provincial Legislative Buildings.  Both locations are less than 1 km (as the peregrine flies) from the Radisson.

In 2000 Trey returned to Winnipeg and took over the Radisson Hotel Downtown nestsite from his Brandon-hatched cousin, Simba.  He was paired with Madame from 2000 to 2002.  One of their young, Sherpa, was observed in Winnipeg in 2006. 

In 2003, Trey didn't return to the City but Madame had the company of a ghostly white, very young male peregrine at the Hotel.

Princess, the current resident female, took over the Radisson territory from Madame in 2004.  She is a 2002 wild-hatch from the NSP Riverside Power Plant in Minneapolis, Minnesota - she is also our second Radisson female from Minneapolis.  To-date Princess and Trey have produced 16 young.  Of the 16, five have died - The Little Daredevil (2006) who died the day after fledging, Taku (2007) who died of a cerebral accident shortly before banding and The Lost Chicks (2008) who died of exposure during a very heavy, multi-hour rainstorm.  Five are known to have survived: Alley in Lincoln, Nebraska, Radisson in Edmonton, Alberta, and Lucy and Ivy here in Winnipeg and Hurricane was observed in Grand Forks just this year, we don't know yet if he will be staying or just passing through.

As of April 8, 2009, we have identified our resident pair and it is once again Trey and Princess.  This is their sixth year together and we are all hoping for a happier outcome to this year's nesting.

If you want to be able to identify Princess and Trey, check out their mugshots in the Photo Gallery
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 16:54 by The Peregrine Chick »