Author Topic: DE / Wilmington - 2009-15  (Read 21157 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Delaware / Wilmington - 2015 / Trinity & Red Girl
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2015, 22:50 »
Had to share this youtube video of the last chick to fledge in 2014 from this site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MesT2ySQwmk

1,2,3... go, then again, maybe not, then again maybe, maybe not, okay, now! LOL! Very cute. :)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2015, 10:08 »
Cute video.  Looked like she was thinking and thinking about going and then finally did it.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33 »
Had to share this youtube video of the last chick to fledge in 2014 from this site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MesT2ySQwmk

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2015, 16:07 »
Another Facebook post from Dave. Sounds as though there was some drama.

Wilmington Falcons

Here's a report from Dave from earlier today!

"Red Girl left the nest before 10:32 and the chicks were unattended for an hour and a quarter. I went to the roof at 11:30. Trinity came in from the North carrying a smallish black bird. He was followed by Red Girl, barking up a storm. He flew right into the nest box without hitting the ledge. She landed on the ledge and was having more than a few words to say. He then flew out with the prey and went to an HVAC unit on Nemours, where he de-feathered it.

He sounded off with a few kaks and flew toward Hercules, where Red Girl took the food mid-air and returned to the nest. He flew six or seven circles, ascending, then descending to the antenna on 1201."

Thanks Dave!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2015, 17:05 »
Another Facebook post.

Wilmington Falcons
15 mins · .

"I'm not positive but it looks like the first egg may have been cracked after all. I was just watching Red Girl check it out and then abandon it to cover up all the kids. If she thought the egg was still viable she would have moved it over next to the pile of kids so that she could continue incubating it. I guess only time will tell!"

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2015, 06:53 »
 :) And now there are four!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2015, 22:12 »
Earlier today, there was eggshell visible; then one chick could be seen. Later, three chicks were visible.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2015, 17:38 »
 ;D  And now there are three! OMG! So cute! So Sweet! I now believe I am truly phanatic!

https://www.facebook.com/wilmfalcons
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 17:41 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2015, 07:58 »
Facebook photo post, two cute little balls of fluff.  :)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:06 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50 »
A new FB post shows pips in nearly all of these eggs. This cam offers a great view of the nest. Next week. little balls of fluff.  8)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06 »
There is a post on Facebook that there may be a pip in one of the 5 eggs.  8)
If you are on Facebook, this is the link.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:09 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2015, 18:03 »
FB post again. There is excitement, some of which I cannot imagine. Off camera as described by Dave.

Wilmington Falcons

2 hrs ago · .

There's a young Red-tailed Hawk hanging out in the park not too far from the nest box that has been keeping Red Girl busy the past couple days. At first I was feeling sorry for the hawk but not after hearing it's coming back for more!!!

Below are a couple emails from Dave:

From this morning...
 "The standoff between Red Girl and the Red-tailed Hawk is into the second day. It started yesterday evening before six. The hawk is safe in the trees, but can't leave, and Red Girl keeps an eye on it 100% of the time, scolds it over and over, and has taken five passes this morning, although she can't get close.

Last night the hawk killed and dined on a pigeon, and it had the leftovers for breakfast. Red Girl has watched from the Citi sign and from WT (Capital One).

As of 10:00 am the standoff was still going on."

And from this afternoon...
 "A little after two thirty Ken and I heard Red Girl. She had the hawk cut off from the trees, got under it and drove it up, cutting it off from safe havens. She closed the gap instantly, the RT evaded, she was on it again, it almost evaded, but the hit was glancing. She chased it west beyond WSFS.

A couple minutes later she came back and perched on BB facing the park. She vocalized took off again after the hawk which was trying to come back, low, behind WSFS. She chased it west again. By the time I got to where I could see that sky it was empty. I waited a few minutes, but neither has returned as of yet.

The hawk may see the park as easy pickings. It was two for two while I was watching it."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 18:05 by gemcitygemini »