Author Topic: DE / Wilmington - 2009-15  (Read 21204 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Delaware / Wilmington - 2015 / Trinity & Red Girl
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2015, 22:50 »
Had to share this youtube video of the last chick to fledge in 2014 from this site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MesT2ySQwmk

1,2,3... go, then again, maybe not, then again maybe, maybe not, okay, now! LOL! Very cute. :)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2015, 10:08 »
Cute video.  Looked like she was thinking and thinking about going and then finally did it.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33 »
Had to share this youtube video of the last chick to fledge in 2014 from this site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MesT2ySQwmk

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2015, 16:07 »
Another Facebook post from Dave. Sounds as though there was some drama.

Wilmington Falcons

Here's a report from Dave from earlier today!

"Red Girl left the nest before 10:32 and the chicks were unattended for an hour and a quarter. I went to the roof at 11:30. Trinity came in from the North carrying a smallish black bird. He was followed by Red Girl, barking up a storm. He flew right into the nest box without hitting the ledge. She landed on the ledge and was having more than a few words to say. He then flew out with the prey and went to an HVAC unit on Nemours, where he de-feathered it.

He sounded off with a few kaks and flew toward Hercules, where Red Girl took the food mid-air and returned to the nest. He flew six or seven circles, ascending, then descending to the antenna on 1201."

Thanks Dave!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2015, 17:05 »
Another Facebook post.

Wilmington Falcons
15 mins · .

"I'm not positive but it looks like the first egg may have been cracked after all. I was just watching Red Girl check it out and then abandon it to cover up all the kids. If she thought the egg was still viable she would have moved it over next to the pile of kids so that she could continue incubating it. I guess only time will tell!"

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2015, 06:53 »
 :) And now there are four!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2015, 22:12 »
Earlier today, there was eggshell visible; then one chick could be seen. Later, three chicks were visible.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2015, 17:38 »
 ;D  And now there are three! OMG! So cute! So Sweet! I now believe I am truly phanatic!

https://www.facebook.com/wilmfalcons
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 17:41 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2015, 07:58 »
Facebook photo post, two cute little balls of fluff.  :)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:06 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50 »
A new FB post shows pips in nearly all of these eggs. This cam offers a great view of the nest. Next week. little balls of fluff.  8)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2015, 11:06 »
There is a post on Facebook that there may be a pip in one of the 5 eggs.  8)
If you are on Facebook, this is the link.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:09 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2015, 18:03 »
FB post again. There is excitement, some of which I cannot imagine. Off camera as described by Dave.

Wilmington Falcons

2 hrs ago · .

There's a young Red-tailed Hawk hanging out in the park not too far from the nest box that has been keeping Red Girl busy the past couple days. At first I was feeling sorry for the hawk but not after hearing it's coming back for more!!!

Below are a couple emails from Dave:

From this morning...
 "The standoff between Red Girl and the Red-tailed Hawk is into the second day. It started yesterday evening before six. The hawk is safe in the trees, but can't leave, and Red Girl keeps an eye on it 100% of the time, scolds it over and over, and has taken five passes this morning, although she can't get close.

Last night the hawk killed and dined on a pigeon, and it had the leftovers for breakfast. Red Girl has watched from the Citi sign and from WT (Capital One).

As of 10:00 am the standoff was still going on."

And from this afternoon...
 "A little after two thirty Ken and I heard Red Girl. She had the hawk cut off from the trees, got under it and drove it up, cutting it off from safe havens. She closed the gap instantly, the RT evaded, she was on it again, it almost evaded, but the hit was glancing. She chased it west beyond WSFS.

A couple minutes later she came back and perched on BB facing the park. She vocalized took off again after the hawk which was trying to come back, low, behind WSFS. She chased it west again. By the time I got to where I could see that sky it was empty. I waited a few minutes, but neither has returned as of yet.

The hawk may see the park as easy pickings. It was two for two while I was watching it."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 18:05 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2015, 16:03 »
 :o   Post on FB one hour ago...This just in from Dave!

"Intruder just after 2:00. All three chased for a long time (off the nest for 15 or 20 minutes, I think) Two clenched together in midair . I was on the roof, and the battle was at the far end of WSFS (see pic). Trinity came back to nest, then falcon flew from battle area carrying a large bird. Carried it up 11th st and somewhere east. Then flew back empty-footed in front of BB and below the nest box. A few minutes later Trinity flew out of the box and circled high high for several minutes.

Trinity is ok. One other falcon is around but we don't know who."

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2015, 14:01 »
https://www.facebook.com/wilmfalcons Another post on FB predicting fledgewatch for approx., May 24th.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2015, 22:36 »
Is it usually the younger females who are able to lay 5 eggs, TPC? :-\

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2015, 18:46 »
I'm always impressed by females who lay 5 eggs - not sure we have a female who can keep 5 eggs covered through incubation - pretty darn sure we don't have a male who could!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2015, 17:12 »
Thank you for the updates, gemcitygemini! What is WSFS? I'm not in Wilmington, so can't quite visualize descriptions like "at Capital One height".

As far as I can tell on the cam, everything seems to be back to normal today. I saved these pics just a short while ago this afternoon. The eggs were uncovered briefly, and they all look fine. By the time I saved the first pic, the eggs were covered again.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2015, 16:23 »
Update posted on FB. Scary boys and girls.  :o

Here are two reports about the intruder from Dave!

From 3:20 this afternoon….

“After your email I went to the roof and I caught glimpses of a big falcon patrolling south of WSFS and the Sheraton. Then it patrolled south of 300 Del ave and PNC but way down maybe over 6th or 7th. While this was going on there were a series of eechups from the nest box. Trinity came out of the box and cried from the shelf, but no response. Trinity went back in.

Then a falcon flew in from behind Dupont, flew up and landed on the big antenna on your building (1201). There was more calling, different, like a "barking" eechup. No response from the falcon on the antenna. Then Trinity came out of the nest box and flew to the food cache! Aha, I said, hunting is bad and they are hungry. Then two! falcons emerged from the food stash, Red Girl flew to the antenna and rousted the intruder, both gave chase for a few seconds, then Trinity bolted back to the nest box.

Red Girl chased and caught the intruder some distance to the northeast, made a pass but didn't seem to hit, then both disappeared into the distance. While I was looking that way Trinity made noise, departed the nest box, and sped toward WSFS. I didn't see his return, but he did come back.

There was nobody in sight when I left, but Trinity was in the box.”

From close to 5:00….

“Went back on the roof to find Red Girl on the antenna and the intruder circling at maybe 1000' The intruder's circles started to descend toward the nest box And Red Girl Took off. She chased him behind BB. I had glimpses of the chase occasionally, and she was getting close. When they were in the vicinity of the nest box Trinity came out for a bit, and three falcons were in chase. Nobody was off the eggs for more than a minute, though. . Near the end of the chase Red Girl returned to the nest box for a well deserved lie down. The continued pursuit by Trinity went past Dupont, where they disappeared. Rain ended my vigil.

Changing my probably a male to unknown. Looked like a big bird when it got close to the familiar reference points of the nest box.”

Thanks again Dave! We definitely aren't paying you enough! smile emoticon

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33 »
I receive posts from this site on FB. This was posted last night. A close call!  :o

We had an intruder earlier today! Hopefully he/she has moved on!

Here's a report from Dave...

“About 10:10 I was in the park and heard a few cries. I didn't see anything until I was entering my building (11:17 by the big clock). Then I saw a falcon flying west down 11th Street at about Capital One height, flapping fairly hard. It made a big swooping left turn past and around WSFS, out of sight. When I turned back there was another falcon on the same path as the first, going hard and fast and doing that horizontal half-stoop. It turned left at the same place. Both eventually emerged from behind WSFS, but going out of sight in different directions, one climbing, the other pretty level.

I went in and checked the cam, and Red Girl was sitting on the eggs. I knew then we had one too many falcons.

I went to the parking lot. At 11:50 I spotted a falcon flying in the area of 12th and King. I lost it - probably flew east. Seconds later Trinity flew to the nest box, coming from the west and descended to perch two notches down from the nest box. He took off again, flew some big circles like he was checking the other sides of the buildings, then came back and perched 5 notches away. He preened and gave me a good look at his unbanded leg, not seeming concerned in the least.”

Thanks Dave!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2015, 00:11 »
The peregrines this year are once again Trinity and Red Girl.

Red Girl laid her first egg on March 7, the second on March 10, the third on March 12, the fourth on March 14, and her fifth egg after dark yesterday!

http://www.dosbirds.org/wilmfalcons

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Wilmington - 2014 / Trinity & Big Red
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2014, 15:50 »
Update:

As per conversation on BCAW the condensed version is that Big Red and Trinity went on to have 6 eggs.  
One & two hatched on April 14/14
Three & four hatched on April 15/14
Five hatched on April 16/14
Six hatched on April 19/14

The site was being monitored and the last two chicks were so much smaller than the first four that no matter how hard they were trying to get to the front of the line for food, and Big Red was trying to get food to them they seemed to keep falling or not being in the right place at the right time.  A decision was made to remove them from the nest to try to increase their chances of survival.

Sadly there was a posting on the Wilminton News Blog on April 23
I received an update from Craig and I’m sorry to say that the sixth chick was not able to overcome whatever developmental issues he/she had and did not survive.  The good news is that the fifth chick is doing very well and should be returned to the nest box next week.

Further News on April 30
From the Wilmington Facebook page:  

It's with a heavy heart that we have learned the Chick #5 was unable to survive.

Although Craig worked very hard to keep its health up, it's condition started to deteriorate late last week and #5 was taken to Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research for evaluation and diagnosed with a condition called metabolic bone disease. The tissue and muscle were developing from the food consumed but due to a lack of critical elements and minerals, that were not likely available inside the egg, impaired future bone development. The skeletal system of the falcon was dramatically compromised with irreversible damage and required euthanization.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Wilmington - 2014 / Trinity & Big Red
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2014, 13:02 »
2014 NESTING SEASON

Big Red has a new mate by the name of Trinity and they are already incubating 4 eggs.  Last egg was laid on March 10, incubation began when third was laid on Saturday, March 8th.  Hatching should be end of the first week/beginning of the second week of April.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2013 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2013, 10:04 »
The two male chicks fledged on May 25th  :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2013, 22:47 »
Video of the chicks flapping on the edge of the nest.  :)

http://youtu.be/LgvulYYawgY

video by Kim Steininger·

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2013, 20:11 »
I just read through the BCAW board index for an update on this site.  Here is the shortened version:

Three of the four chicks hatched on April 16th and the fourth on April 19th.  The fifth egg never hatched.  The fourth chick was not eating and there was concern it would not make it through the night so it was removed at one day old and nurtured by USFWS raptor biologist Craig Koppie.  She (as was discovered at banding time) was reunited with her family on May 3.

Unfortunately sometime between April 19-24 the tiercel, CJ, was replaced by an unbanded male.  Although it is very sad to hear that CJ was no longer at this site, the new male has stepped upto the plate and is providing well for his adopted family and is doing a great job defending their territory as well.

The chicks were banded on May 14, with two males (white & yellow) and two females (blue & orange).  The female that was returned is OG (orange girl).  She is a wee bit behind (three days in peregrine is a big difference).  There was some concern that she wasn't getting fed, but she has learnt to grab and run with the food quite well.

They are into full fledge watch at this site expecting them to go at any time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:34 by MayShowers »

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2013, 15:23 »
Fourth Hatch - Sometime overnight  April 18-19, 2013 or in the morning of April 19 before 9:26 am.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2013, 13:14 »
CJ and Red Girl now have 5 eggs in the scrape.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Delaware - Wilmington - 2013 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2013, 16:09 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Two big scrapes in the Wilmington Delaware nestbox ... cam is live as of 22 Feb 2013

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2012 / CJ & Big Red
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2012, 11:28 »
Just a general overview (from BCAW) of what has been happening with these four female fledgings here:  thank goodness they have people on the ground there to watch them during the fledging, because these girls have been all over the place, and the ground crew has been run ragged keeping an eye on them.  They found and retrieved two of them, one stayed in care overnight, another was found stuck in an inner court and had to be brought out, then they could not one, but then they did, and took photos of this very beautiful young falcon, and throughout all this the parents have been keeping a close eye on their girls, so that the crew watches them to find out where the girls have landed up, and, interestingly enough, even though the parents have seen the crew on the roof retrieving the young ladies, they have not attacked.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2012, 21:09 »
They banded four female chicks at Wilmington today.   8)  Here is a link to some videos posted by Kim Steininger
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=187124#p187124

Link to some pics posted by Kim Steininger
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=187147#p187147
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 21:15 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13 »
...well, still only 4 chicks, one egg sitting there unhatched, and I don't think it's going to now  :-\ though I'd be happy to be wrong...on the other hand, the 4 chicks there seem to have made it into a public leaning post, so it is useful  ;D...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2012, 10:47 »
That must've been fun to watch Jadoo!

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2012, 08:22 »
... funny mix-up this morning ... still looks like 4 chick, hard to still see the last egg, the chick-pile is so tight ... anyway, Mom (i believe) is sitting on the chicks, and dad shows up with a food package, still in it's feathers.  Mom jumps up, in preparation of grabbing it, but dad doesn't pass it over, he starts as if he's going to feed the chicks.  mom then gets her head in there, and it looks like dad is ending up feeding mom small bits, with the chicks calling for their turn;  Mom, seemingly frustrated, then just storms away and takes off.  Dad, seemingly confused, picks up the food package and follows.  chicks, still sitting there, seem to be saying "What the heck???"

About 2 minutes later, one of the parents is back with the food package, but this time, this chick pile just waits - no stretching or yelling ("Yeah, right, fool me once ...!") until the food is actually being waved over their heads, THEN they figure it's not just another trick, and things go back to normal (much headwaving and wobbling with open mouths, happy happy ...)

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2012, 14:35 »
Wow, good video clip!  That little one sure used all it had to get in on a meal. Impressive.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2012, 19:12 »
There is a cute video today on BCAW showing CJ feeding his mate, Red Girl, while she sits on the eggs.  One of the two chicks also wants to get in on the feeding, and Red Girl feeds this little one, while the other chick tries to figure out what is going on.

http://youtu.be/nKcTU5FeK1E

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2012, 18:04 »
There is a cute video today on BCAW showing CJ feeding his mate, Red Girl, while she sits on the eggs.  One of the two chicks also wants to get in on the feeding, and Red Girl feeds this little one, while the other chick tries to figure out what is going on.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2012, 11:40 »
These two have been incubating their 5 eggs since March 20, I think, so hatching should be around April 23.

...well, they are early, then, because there has been at least two, and possible three, hatches here this morning - lots of excitement on the wilmington board on BCAW...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2012, 22:04 »
These two have been incubating their 5 eggs since March 20, I think, so hatching should be around April 23.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2012, 17:16 »
Five eggs now; these two don't waste any time.  CJ and Red Girl are very devoted parents, and I don't know if they are done yet!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2012, 10:48 »
Red Girl delivered a fourth egg early this morning, according to Bird Cams Around the World.  That is CJ, the proud father, on the eggs now; he has a very orange beak, as compared to Red Girl.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2012, 16:47 »
And here is the cam link in case anyone would like to get a quick look at how Red Girl is coming along with this laborious process: 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2012, 16:42 »
Red Girl is perched on her eggs right now, and she looks to be working hard at pushing out another.  I hope this is not as painful as it looks!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2012, 11:55 »
It looks like everyone is expecting a fourth egg later this evening for this couple.  CJ was on the three eggs earlier this morning, keeping them warm, while mom went out for a bite to eat.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Delaware - Wilmington - 2012 / CJ & Big Red
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2012, 07:40 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Hi all!  Looks like there are 3 eggs already at Wilmington - early season this year!   :D

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2011 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16 »
...yes, horus, you are correct - those are amazing shots of Red Girl doing a mid-air food exchange with one of the kids - wow, great photos!.. :o

horus

« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50 »
Turn to the next page - page 4 - there will more amazing pictures of RG and the kids...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2011, 21:04 »
Wow! Those are amazing photos of CJ bringing a Cooper's Hawk home for supper! :o I didn't think birds of prey caught other birds of prey. :-\

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2011, 09:37 »
... interesting pics on the Wilmington topic board here:

http://peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=976&start=40

on page 3 - the resident male CJ brought home a hawk for dinner - they're thinking maybe a Cooper's hawk, but it was huge - CJ was apparently struggling with it all the way home - but he looks so PLEASED in the photos ... ;D

... actually, the web address i just posted takes you directly to page 3 - just scroll down for the pictures ...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2011, 16:54 »
An update:  The people who regularly participate in this Forum (Bird Cams Around the World), are very, very unhappy about the female chicks being sent to another state.  They feel that these chicks should have remained with their parents, who could have taught them so much, and that hacking them was a terrible decision.  Although I am not as well informed about falcons as the people who regularly attend this Forum (some of whom also are part of our Manitoba Forum), I agree; these chicks were fledgings, and should not have been taken away.  They should have been taught how to fly and survive by their parents.  If anyone wants to read more about this, here is the link:  http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=959&start=340

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2011, 10:11 »
The latest news on "Bird Cams Around the World" is that the two female chicks will not be returned from Rehab to Wilmington.  The biologist says they are sending them to West Virginia, where they have a falcon reintroduction program going on, and the chicks will have a better chance of survival. 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2011, 16:50 »
If I recall correctly from all the material posted on this site, they could not band her because she was sitting in an area that was really difficult to access, and it would cause too much stress to all concerned to try to get to her.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2011, 16:32 »
i know that 5 chicks hatched at this site, and all made it as far as fledging (too bad about Yellow Boy), but i never read anything explaining why only 4 of the chicks were banded...anybody know?  it's been bugging me... ::)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2011, 10:31 »
I checked out the Bird Cams Around the World Site again this morning:

The fledge watchers down there in Wilmington are exhausted; and losing Yellow Band, the firstborn and a feisty little fellow, was hard on everyone.  Four chicks are still alive, with the two girls in rehab at the moment, and the two boys, so far, doing o.k.

This crew is very dedicated; as they say on this site, it is so hard to keep track of fledgings when you have some many buildings, cars, and idiot people  around, seriously affecting the safety of the birds.  I think their watch down there in Wilmington has been harder than our fledge watches up here in Edmonton, especially as they had five chicks fledge over a couple of days.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2011, 19:57 »
Aw, that is very sad. :'( I thought he had been spotted flying well with his dad. Do they know what he died of? ???

No his body has been given over for determination though.  One of the others ones came to ground for the third time too so she's going in for observation. 

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2011, 18:13 »
Aw, that is very sad. :'( I thought he had been spotted flying well with his dad. Do they know what he died of? ???
That was the last I had heard also ???  Such sad news :'( :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2011, 17:15 »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2011, 15:48 »
Sad news, Yellow has been found dead.  :'(
So sorry to hear the sad news about yellow band.  :'(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2011, 14:37 »
Sad news, Yellow has been found dead.  :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2011, 09:24 »
Glad to hear thar "yellow band" has been located. :)

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2011, 08:11 »
Great news indeed!  Can still see the five of them all lined up for their picture after banding ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2011, 07:42 »
Great news on yellow band, glad he's okay!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2011, 01:35 »
The latest report from the Bird Cams Around the World Forum is that Yellow Band is actually flying around now with his father; all the other chicks and mom have been accounted for, so that it the only explanation that makes any sense.  Three rescues were made over the last couple of days by the devoted crew down there, so it looks like everything is going well at present with these five unruly chicks. 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2011, 16:56 »
One of the chicks is missing in action.  People there have been looking for him (Yellow Band), but no success as of early evening.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08 »
MayShowers, thanks for keeping us informed.
Your welcome :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20 »
Glad he was rescued!

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2011, 05:50 »
June 2 report from Wilmington website:

So far two birds have fledged.  One of them ended up on the ground though so he was put in a carrier and taken up to the roof of the building with the nestbox.  Hopefully he’ll stay put until he’s really ready to fly!  The first bird to fledge is still in the same spot where he was early this morning.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2011, 15:00 »
The banding took place and 3 males, 1 female and 1 unknown. Cute picture of 4 of them at the following link:
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=944&start=240

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2011, 12:20 »
Message on the Wilmington website noted that the banding was cancelled for today.  It might happen very early tomorrow morning but Craig decided to cancel since all the chicks were out on the ledge.  He didn’t want to take a chance that they might jump.  Better safe than sorry!

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2011, 20:42 »
Oh how quick the little ones grow.  Tomorrow is banding day for these five chicks.

Here is the post on the website:

As a quick alert to all of the Wilmington Peregrine Falcon Webcam viewers, the chicks will be banded tomorrow morning between 10:00 and 12:00. Craig Koppie, USFWS Endangered Species Biologist, will be heading up the banding process, assisted by Anthony Gonzon from DNREC’s DE Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Program.

If you are tuning in at that time or are so motivated to tune in after reading this post, the activity level in the box during the banding will be really revved up.  The 4′ x 6′ box juts back into a narrow hallway and the chicks will be accessed by a door in the back of the box, no one will be repelling down from the rooftop in this procedure, thank heavens!  Craig will be removing, if all goes to plan, four chicks at first, leaving one in the box to help calm the parents.  Once removed, the chicks will be processed and banded in an expeditious fashion with weighing, measuring, sexing and overall health evaluations performed.  Once completed, the banded chicks will be returned and the last chick will be removed, processed and returned to the box.

With all of this activity in the box, the adults will be actively trying to protect their young and will be quite vocal and active.  Good time to plug for some live audio……….hmmmm……next year??  Anyway, the entire process is quick, thorough and non-harming to the chicks and should provide some real exciting viewing!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2011, 20:59 »
Yup it does. But still love watching and every year seems like the first time I started watching.  8) 8)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2011, 20:56 »
Chicks looks great!  Yep, chicks do tend to get big!  
It's amazing how that works each and every time!   ;D
Good to know that at least, they are consistent.   :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 20:59 by allikat »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2011, 20:56 »
That was a great video. The parents are so busy catching prey for these 5 that they must be worn out. Love the lineup for food, judging from the size 2 females and 3 males. The males hardly got anything to eat at that session but there was probably a very quick feed for them later. Busy time at this nest.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2011, 19:20 »
The chicks here are getting big.  There was a cute Youtube video from May 13 of their feeding.  I wasn't sure how to copy the link so I'm not sure if this will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5sqzqVFcnM

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2011, 10:31 »
Dad is in the nestbox now, trying to cover the chicks.  I think he has come to realize how hopeless it is, and has settled for sticking his chest in the general area of the chick pile.

horus

« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2011, 16:36 »
Dad stayed with the kids for a while. He looked as if to estimate the size of the family. He took off after that - perhaps to find more food???

horus

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2011, 13:42 »
Yes, they are SOOO CUUUTE and the chick pile is certainly getting bigger. If I'm not mistaken they don't even seem to fit all under mom.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2011, 13:03 »
...CUUUTE sprawling chick pile - no parent in sight;  boy are these chicks going to be a handful! (talonful?)... ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2011, 10:13 »
I think it is dad in there feeding the chicks this morning, and boy, does this take a while.  If I remember correctly, the parents are young and healthy, which is very good, as they have their hands full with this brood. 

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2011, 12:17 »
...just caught a few seconds of a feeding - all 5 chicks in a tight circle, VERY intently watching the parent doling out the food - LOL - I'd be very nervous if I was the parent, and it's just going to get scarier as the get older... ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12 »
I do hope the youngest chick will be able to hold his own, after hatching later than the others; he will have to work hard, I think, to make sure he gets his fair share of food and doesn't get pushed around by his older siblings.  But, considering what a rocky start we had here, it is great to have 5 chicks, which helps to make up for the depressing loss at Minnesota/Elk River.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2011, 08:04 »
Oh my, these are going to be two busy parents :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2011, 06:27 »
 5 chicks now!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2011, 20:32 »
4 chicks! :o That's great! ;D So glad to hear the first little one is now doing well. :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2011, 12:40 »
One egg is still unhatched.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46 »
This is great news!  I am so glad that dad was able to get the little firstborn over to mom, and she was able to figure out what this whole thing was all about. 

I just checked in on the family, and mom was looking over her brood, and all looked good.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2011, 07:26 »
Two feedings already this morning and everything looks good.  I guess after all those hatchings, mom finally realizes what those white things are and she's got them all tucked under her now.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2011, 06:15 »
OMG...FOUR BABIES BEING FED THIS MORNING!!!  All are active and healthly looking!!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59 »
OMG...FOUR BABIES BEING FED THIS MORNING!!!  All are active and healthly looking!!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2011, 17:34 »
What an active, feisty chick..honestly never seen a newborn this active..he/she is everywhere!!  Almost feeling sorry for mom as soon as she gets him under her..he finds his way out!!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2011, 17:24 »
[/url]

little fella is hungry
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 17:27 by msdolittle »

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2011, 17:16 »
Cam is back up, dad just came back to the nest, nestled down, and mom took off, and the little one is screaming for food, so I think he must be doing much better now than before.  It looks to me as if he has a wound on his back, but I don't know for sure.  I do hope he recovers from the ordeal he has been through.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2011, 16:01 »
I am delighted to read this, Carly.  Thank God for dad.  I went to the webcam, but it is all black, so I don't know what is going on right now.  I wish I could spend more time watching this site, but I have to be furtive and selective as my employer, oddly enough, seems to feel that I am spending abit too much time on falcon web cams.  Nevertheless, I hope to catch a quick peek at the chick and the eggs before my day is done.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2011, 15:39 »
Just got home from work and baby is tucked under mom with eggs now, once in awhile he slips out but I credit dad as well.  She honestly had no clue, he was the one who figured it out.

I expect TPC has seen it all and this is no surprise to her.  New parents are going to be the death of me!!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2011, 14:53 »
I just got back - if baby is indeed o.k., thanks to dad, then I am delighted!  I only see mom on camera right now.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2011, 14:33 »
Mom is there, baby is outside again but I think she knows now he needs to be under her.  Another egg is breaking so perhaps her squirming isn't helping.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2011, 14:05 »
Yay...*sniff*  baby with eggs now tucked under parent.  I dont' know who is who anymore but thank god dad stepped in!!  He comes from good genes  :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2011, 13:57 »
He is attempting to feed the chick.  I think this is working!  The chick is able to stay upright and Dad seems to be moving the food right into the open mouth.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2011, 13:57 »
Saw the feeding! 
Better get the hang of it - another one is coming and quick!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2011, 13:55 »
Yes!!!!  Food!!!  OMG!!!  Finally someone with a clue!!!!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2011, 13:53 »
It looks like baby is moving, though weakly, even opening his beak.  
Dad just went off for some food!  

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2011, 13:51 »
I cannot get the camera, so appreciate the updates.  Still have my fingers crossed that things will work out for the little one.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2011, 13:44 »
It looks like Dad has nudged the hatched chick under him.

If only we could keep dad there, he seems to be more on the ball than mom.  It does looks injured on the back, i bet mom did injure it when she was pulling on it.  

OMG look he's reaching up for food!!!  OMG will they feed it??
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 13:50 by carly »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2011, 13:40 »
It looks like Dad has nudged the hatched chick under him.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2011, 13:40 »
OMG..the dad has moved the baby to the eggs!!!  He knew it wasn't right, you could see he was upset and he brought baby over!!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2011, 13:20 »
Another hatch may be in progress, let's pray this one is better.  Dad is back in now and he seems interested in the little one that mom wasn't.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 13:25 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2011, 13:03 »
 I have seen moms know when a baby is not healthy but usually they recognize that after they've brooded it a bit.  This female just pulled on the baby like it was dinner from the second it was born and then kicked it to the curb.  I know I'm being harsh but gees.

Corrected: I just saw it move a bit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 13:11 by carly »

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2011, 12:55 »
Sometimes, when everything works out fine, you are really happy to have these cameras to watch.  Then other times, like when you hear something like this, and you know that it is nature taking its course, it is still so hard to watch.  :'( Hopefully mom will come around, at least I will cross my fingers.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2011, 12:54 »
This is just too painful.  A quick death is one thing, suffering is another.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48 »
Well the male came in, he looked curious and so did baby and then he left.  Now it's to the side, mom is ignoring it and it will likely die. :'(  

There was a pip in one of the other eggs so we'll see what she does when it hatches.  Some of the girls watching say she may have injured it as she kept pulling on it when it was hatching.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2011, 12:24 »
the chick is very active and moving towards her...Dad came in and seemed curious and left.  Now she's turned her back on it,
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:28 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2011, 12:20 »
I wonder if maybe there is something wrong with the chick and the mom knows?

I wondered that too but she's never had a baby before - of course TPC will say it's instinct but the chick seems active and alert?  Like someone on BCAW said, even the chick knows it should be under mom yet she keeps backing away from it. 

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2011, 12:07 »
I wonder if maybe there is something wrong with the chick and the mom knows?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 11:54 »
Wow nature can be cruel, the baby righted itself and tried to crawl to her and she knocked it on it's back.  I'm going into a meeting but this is too much.  :-[

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2011, 11:43 »
I know, it's heartbreaking.  :'(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42 »
I can see the little one in front of her; she continues to ignore it.  Things look very grim.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 11:37 »
We've had a hatch here but mom doesn't seem to know what to do with the new one, she's kicked it a few times and  is keeping it away from her eggs while she continues to be obsessed with her eggs.  Will the chick live???  I've never seen this before, the baby is still aside from her and she's looking at it like she doesn't know what it is!! 

Here's hoping she clues in but if this keeps up, that litle one is going to die.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 22:23 »
Checked in on this couple and now incubating 5 eggs.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2011, 01:03 »
Egg 2 for CJ and Red Girl on Friday.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2011, 08:45 »
First egg!!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 22:38 »
Red Girl and CJ are the resident falcon pair on the Brandywine Building ledge in Wilmington, DE.

- Red Girl (black/green band on left leg, red tape on right). Red Girl fledged from the Harrisburg, PA, nest in 2008 and arrived at the Wilmington nest in February 2010.

- CJ (black/green band on left leg). CJ fledged from the Wilmington nest in 2006 and returned to the nest in March 2010.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 21:27 »
Do we have a confirmation on the birds' identities yet Linderlou?  ???

Yes...I'll have to get band numbers for you, but...

Female is "Red Girl"...Fledged from Harrisburg, PA in 2008.  She came on the scene in Feb. 2010 when the resident female disappeared (later found on a rooftop, deceased, I believe)

She and the resident Male, "Caesar" mated and they produced 4 eggs..Unfortunately, nearing hatching, the resident male disappeared...it became harder and harder for her to incubate and  there was much discussion as to whether the eggs should be rescued...

Fast forward...eggs never hatched and they were removed...New male on the scene and it turned out to be Caesar's son (hatched in 2006 at this nest~small world.  BCAW named him CJ in honor of Caesar and with the cam operator's blessing.)

Both have been positively id'd, viewed on the cam and generally seen daily!!!

(I'm sure all this info is a repeat from last year.. ;D)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 10:40 »
I'll check back later and confirm this but from what I have been reading, same two birds as before.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26 »
Do we have a confirmation on the birds' identities yet Linderlou?  ???

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Delaware - Wilmington - 2011 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 22:36 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Well these two have been hanging around the area and the nest box for the winter. Spring is in the air for these two and reports of bonding and making a scrape at the nest box have been observed, as well as canoodling. Possible eggs in the future at this site.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Delaware / Wilmington - 2015 / Trinity & Red Girl
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 23:22 »
Brandywine Building
Wilmington, Delaware

(photos:  building from Sayreville CAP website; nestbox by BirdsbyKim.com)

The Brandywine Building was built in 1970 and renovated in 2000.  It is a 19 storey, 79 foot building in the modernist style build of steel and granite.  It is located at the gateway to Wilmington's downtown area and is a major feature on the city skyline.  The Wilmington Peregrine Falcon Webcam Project is a collaborative effort of the DOS, DuPont's Clear into the Future, United States Fish & Wildlife Service, Delaware's DNREC and the Buccini-Pollin Group.

website link:  http://www.dosbirds.org/wilmfalcons

Resident Pairs & Offspring:
  • 2014 - Trinity & Red Girl --> ?
  • full list coming soon
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 00:51 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2010 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 00:23 »
It would seem at this site although this pair did not have eggs, they are forming a strong bonding and commitment to site. It will be next year waiting in anticipation to see if a hatch comes from this pair.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 07:41 »
..the website here has also concluded no new eggs for this nest this year;  a bit disappointing, but such is life in the falcon world;  here's hoping for next year!  :-\

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 07:18 »
..Monday morning, and no eggs that I can see...I'm feeling pessimistic now, it would have been nice to see replacements for the eggs that had to be removed.  Oh well...

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 09:13 »
...falcon has left the box;  after 2 hours & 10 min's of wandering the perimeter, settling for 10-15 min's at a time;  now, it's back, but actually, i think this one is the male, looks smaller to me - didn't stay in the nest box long, but now is perched on the side...i'm stumped, but strangely fascinated... :-\

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 07:40 »
...falcon STILL in the box - 40 min's & counting, and it's 24C and sunny in Wilmington...

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 07:26 »
...still no eggs this morning, but one of the falcons has been wandering around the nestbox for 20 min's already - doesn't look like it is of a mind to leave yet, either...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 19:13 »
About the heading on this thread . . . Big Red is in Jackson, Michigan with her mate Chayton, where they are raising three chicks.

The new female here does not have a name, since the Harrisburg peregrines are never named. She hss been referred to casually as "Red Girl", because when she was banded in 2008 she was given red tape on top of her silver USFWS band.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 08:11 »
...oh, yes, I'd love to be wrong; I'd have no problem with that at all...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 08:01 »
My motto is  never, say never.  I have been following this site since Red Girl appeared. 

I wish they had taken the eggs sooner and hatched them. but >>>>

I would like to see her lay one more egg. to give her a good first year experience.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 07:51 »
...just a note for this site...although the falcons were observed in courtship ritual around may18, and the old eggs were removed from the site, there are still no new eggs here that I can see;  I suspect that there won't be another clutch this year.  I'd be happy to be wrong, however....

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 16:39 »
How can I go back to work tomorrow?!?  I'm discovering so many interesting dramas in the Peregrine Falcon world! :) :)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 23:19 »
No eggciting news to post yet. The couple are still together and we will have to wait and see.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 22:57 »
Checked in on the BCAW site and apparently, the female which is being referred to Red Girl and the male CJ for Caesar Jr have been canoodling. The male has been working on scrapes (2) in the nest box and it could be a sign that in the next few days eggs could be laid. He is very attentive to the female and brings many presents for her eating enjoyment. Hopefully this will be a successful site after all the turmoil this season.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 13:30 »
Shiny doesn't have anything to do with viability Kinderchick, I just noticed how shiny they were.  Our eggs aren't that shiny, more of a matte finish on them.  Except for our dummy eggs, which are fake eggs used to keep peregrines incubating while plans for fostering or something similar is put into place.  The eggs at Wilmington weren't dummy eggs but looked like them.  Interesting is all ...
Oh... And that is interesting about using "dummy" eggs to keep peregrines incubating, when plans for fostering are put into place.  8) I didn't know that!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 09:42 »
I should say that the eggs look shiny .... too shiny  ??? to my eye ...
What exactly does this mean, if eggs look shiny?  :-\ Is that how one can tell that  eggs may not be viable? ???

Shiny doesn't have anything to do with viability Kinderchick, I just noticed how shiny they were.  Our eggs aren't that shiny, more of a matte finish on them.  Except for our dummy eggs, which are fake eggs used to keep peregrines incubating while plans for fostering or something similar is put into place.  The eggs at Wilmington weren't dummy eggs but looked like them.  Interesting is all ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 08:19 »
In an interesting twist here..the new male is the son of the previous male who went missing.  Like Ivy he must have been hanging out near his birth home somewhere. 

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 07:57 »
...the eggs were removed, since a new male showed up, and courtship rituals were observed; there seems to be a new scrape in the nest area, and I believe they are hoping that it might not be too late for the female to lay a second clutch...saw one of them in the nest box this morning, seemingly inspecting the entire area...TPC, how hard is it on the female to produce 4 eggs, then perhaps produce more within a month or so?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 13:21 »
What exactly does this mean, if eggs look shiny?  :-\ Is that how one can tell that  eggs may not be viable? ???

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 11:05 »
The eggs at this site did not hatch after the male went missing. The female tried for several days but had to give up in order to keep herself fed. A new male entered the picture and it is apparently from a 2006 hatch and he is the offspring of the male that went missing. Quite an interesting turn of events, he gets to keep the site in the family. There could be another clutch as the female and male have been courting.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 17:12 »
This is the site Alison told us about last year where the chicks were found dead on the ground and they thought a new female had possibly killed them. Then this year the female again gone, new female and then now the male is gone after he wins his own territorial battle. 

I know it's nature but I am not sure about binding a 2 year old to this specific nest site.  I almost want to say if the eggs don't hatch, let her go and see where she goes.  She'll either find a new male or move on to bigger and better - she's still young and she comes from impressive lineage so no doubt she will thrive where ever she ends up! 

On the other hand I feel for her having this as her first experience..they sure don't have an easy life and she has such a fan following already from people who watched her grow up in Harrisburg and who are rooting for her - I really hope something positive comes out of all this.   

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 16:25 »
I really do  not think they are going to hatch but REd girl has not deserted them. she does leave them but does come back and incubate for quite awhile. the people there says weather is warm.

We have all been helping out in the monitoring. Not getting much work done ;D ;D

I sure hope they put in a foster chick soon.

there have also been reports of a falcon in the area, so who knows. As long as it is not femlae.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 16:17 »
Its now 1616 hrs (Wpg) and the eggs are uncovered again but they have been moved a bit, don't know when or who came by in the last hour.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 14:27 »
Bird, female I'm assuming, jumped off the eggs at 1416 hrs (Wpg time), so ten minutes ago and no one has been back yet ...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 13:00 »
Thank you, Carly.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 12:18 »
Here is a link to BCAW Thread where some of the people arranging help for the female (Red) are currently posting:

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=566

A biologist was up this morning and they left her a pigeon on the ledge to see if she'd take it and she did.  They are thinking of putting one foster chick in the nest if the eggs don't hatch to bind her to the nest site.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13 »
I cannot find any information on what is happening here at this site; either that, or I don't know where to look.  The female falcon continues to incubate her eggs without any sign of her mate.  If anyone knows where we can look for the latest info on this situation, could they please post it here.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 13:47 »
Does anyone have any updates on this site?

Meanwhile, incubation continues:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 17:07 »
I'm just hoping for the best here, Carly. I hope the little tiercel will still turn up, and if he doesn't, I think there is a reasonable chance that, with help, the female will be able to raise her chicks.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 17:00 »
I know Alison, he was such a sweet little tiercel.  I can't imagine what happened, must have been an accident or something or he's hurt or trapped somewhere.  he was so diligent and so good to Red and he really put up a good fight in that battle to keep his site, lost his regular mate..it justs seems so tragic to have so much happen in such a short time.  And last year all their eggs went missing I believe..so to have it end this way is just so sad..honestly really puts our own lives in perspective.  These guys struggle for survival every day.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 16:50 »
It is very tragic if the male at this nest has been lost. If enough supplementary food is provided, it is possible that the female might be able to manage on her own, but it is rare.

I can only think of one instance where this was successful. One year at the New Jersey nest, the male was injured very close to hatch time. The female did manage to raise the chicks on her own, with food provided for her every day. She also did some hunting on her own.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 16:36 »
People in the know there are currently working on a plan of action to get Red Girl help.  It's in good hands from the sounds of it. I'll keep you posted or go to the BCAW board as the people helping post there.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 14:37 »
Please excuse all my errors in last post. went in to correct them but could not.
I have been all over today so fingers are sore ::) ::)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 13:49 »
I have been monitoring this for a few days, wince they suspected male was missing.

there is no way she can care for chicks and feed herself.  If you remeber ,Elaine, Miss Edmonton ,last year.

the male went missing and I sat there  for 3 days monitoring. there seemed to be a stash that she went to quickly  for first day and a half and then she went out calling and looking and then had to leave eggs longer and longer. that is when I let Gord know and he went and collected eggs and put in dummies, just in case, she attracted a male early enough. One of those days hatched n an incubator.

Now i ma not sure if they would do that here, in Willington.If they provided food for her right at the site she may be able to do it.

People were remembering when snowball went missing and Mercury raised the brood to fledging. but the chicks had hatched and the site supplemented him with food for awhile. there again Mercury, was a very experienced male.

I am just sick about this. I knwo this is nature, but....

I am getting very discouraged this year

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 13:42 »
Thanks for the info, Carly.  I sure hope that this all works out well. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 13:34 »
Oh, gosh, and there are four eggs here for this first-time mom, all close to hatch date.  It would be awful to lose them.  If the male has been killed, is there any chance that she can take care of the chicks alone, assuming they hatch?  And is there any chance that another male may be around, and could help out with feeding duties?

It would be tough even for an experienced female to do that on her own.  Not sure if there any other males around, there was one she came with.  She actually took over this nest in a territorial battle and she had a young male with her.  She won the nest from the existing female but her little male buddy lost the battle to the resident male.  he didn't die though, in fact he hung out with them for a day afterwards and then presumable left the area. 

I only heard about this today and have only been watching today so am still hoping the male shows up and we have all just missed him or he's out getting food and storing it up for babies!  She's laying on her eggs now and picking at pebbles.  This morning she seemed a bit disconcerted but now she's obsessed with the pebbles  ???  The earliest the eggs could hatch I read is today but no sign of a pip yet.  Still hoping for happy ending but we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:56 »
Oh, gosh, and there are four eggs here for this first-time mom, all close to hatch date.  It would be awful to lose them.  If the male has been killed, is there any chance that she can take care of the chicks alone, assuming they hatch?  And is there any chance that another male may be around, and could help out with feeding duties?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:50 »
Nothing official yet Elaine.  Watching from work and she's been on and off several times already.  A watcher who works across the nest in a building confirms no sign of male at all and she's been seen trying to catch herself some food.

She's only 2 years old herself and this is her first nest.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:28 »
The female (I am pretty sure it was the female) was on the eggs for a while this morning, but she has been gone now for almost an hour, and no mate  has arrived to replace her on the eggs.  Carly, have you heard anything more on the situation here?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45 »
Tiercel at this site has been MIA for 2 days now.  Red still incubating and has had to leave the eggs to go feed herself, no one is arriving to relieve her and eggs are nearing hatch date.  First time mom so hope the male shows up or he's just out of sight but it is unusual not to see him at all as he's been quite present and has shared in the incubation.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 15:31 »
The new female at this site has been identified; she is from the Harrisburg nest, born in 2008. From the Harrisburg site:

4/8/2010  ::   Juvenile Female Claims New Territory

The red-band coded female that fledged from the Rachel Carson State Office Building two years ago has been spotted at a nest site in Wilmington, Delaware; she may be responsible for killing the resident female and taking over the scrape.

This female was banded on May 22nd 2008 and weighed 795 g, the largest of the four nestlings banded that day. The Rachel Carson female and her mother, the nesting female at the Girard Point Bridge in Philadelphia from 1998 until 2005 are know to biologist as intensely aggressive and territorial. These traits have clearly been passed on to their progeny.

To see the young female at her new scrape, visit http://www.dosbirds.org/wilmfalcons

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 14:44 »
Red band now has 3 eggs.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 18:37 »
Had a look at this and was wondering if this falcon was banded. Couldn't really tell but was curious. Sounds like they are nesting here, do we have a link to this?

there has been a change of females here.  the new female is a 2 year old  red band that was fledged from Harrisburg 2 years ago.  The resident female was found dead and they do not know for how long . we also witnessed a fight in nestbox with 2 males but the resident male prevailed.  It has been very sad for the folks there. check out their blogg from  the beginning and you can read and see pictures
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 15:08 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 14:45 »
Just had to check on the background info on this nest site and it is amazing what has been going on here. So happy to see an egg in the nest and hope for many more. Hope all goes well for this pair ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 23:22 »
They just found the resident females body, she's been missing for awhile now.  The other 3 are still being observed out there - there are people on the ground watching and the 2 males are still by the female so no resolution yet...I was hopeing the male that retreated would leave but looks like it may get nastier yet.  

I am so sorry to hear about the resident female. Haven't had a chance to check on this site in the last few days, but did check it today.

In the first pics I saved, I didn't see an egg:

But then I did:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 16:48 »
They just found the resident females body, she's been missing for awhile now.  The other 3 are still being observed out there - there are people on the ground watching and the 2 males are still by the female so no resolution yet...I was hopeing the male that retreated would leave but looks like it may get nastier yet. 

And the owl is still in the nest box at Cobb!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:27 »
Some of the folks at BCAW recorded the fight so should be something up later on. The prevailing falcon is back in the box, you can see a bit of something hanging off his beak that's red and looks fleshy :(  Hope the other falcon will be okay and made it out safely.

Photos and thread here if you are interested:

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=459&start=220
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:32 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:15 »
Really bad territorial fight going on right now in the nest box between Two males..watch at your own peril.  

Edit: One has retreated, thank god.  Oh the other one now with the bit of flesh in his mouth has jumped out too..I hope it's not to the death and the other one has left.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:19 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Delaware - Wilmington - 2010 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 19:33 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

The new cam is now active at this site; haven't seen any peregrines there yet.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
DE / Wilmington - 2009-15
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 22:08 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

Peregrine falcon soap opera turns Delaware skies into theater

Wilmington falcons' love story ruffles rival bird's feathers

There may be the makings for a country song in the drama playing out in the skies over Wilmington. We've got the loving couple, the homewrecker, a fight, more fights and even death -- in the form of a turkey vulture.  It's a story that few in Wilmington even know about, though when a turkey vulture came tumbling out of the sky and landed on the sidewalk near the Brandywine Building, that may have attracted a little attention.

Our lovers are peregrine falcons -- a pair that has been living their own little "happily ever after" for nearly a decade in a nesting box on the Brandywine Building, where West Street meets 10th and 11th streets.  A few weeks ago, though, a homewrecker showed up.  The rogue bird is probably a female, said Bill Stewart, with the Delmarva Ornithological Society.

"It's highly unlikely a male is going to come in and break up a couple," he said.

So for several weeks now, the hussy has been at it.  The thought among birders and bird experts is that she is probably trying to break up the couple and move in on the territory.

"She could really wreak havoc on that nesting pair," said Anthony T. Gonzon Jr., a state biologist who monitors breeding birds.

Most birds of prey have large foraging territories and will defend their turf, he said.  When an interloper arrives, it causes a battle in the skies.

"It's kind of like if your neighbor built a shed on your property," Gonzon said.  The Brandywine Building pair have been nesting happily in the area since at least 2002. No one is quite sure where the third bird came from.

"I'm hoping that this third bird won't cause any problems with this pair," Gonzon said. As it now stands, there are three birds competing for the same turf -- and the sky show has been amazing, according to those who have seen it.  Stewart said he got a phone call recently from a fellow who witnessed one of the peregrines attacking a turkey vulture. In three hits, the vulture tumbled to the sidewalk.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091127/NEWS/911270333/An-avian-soap-opera-above-the-city

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 13:11 by The Peregrine Chick »