Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2010 / Beau & Jules  (Read 94048 times)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
West Winnipeg - 2010 / August
« Reply #851 on: August 08, 2010, 11:33 »
Just got back fromt the West Winnipeg site.  I finally got to see the birds playing and touching each others talons.  Also saw Nero try to land on top of Beau.  Good thing he comes in screeching, it gives Dad a chance to bolt quickly.  Think we saw all of them flying around.  I don't think I could ever get tired of seeing them flying around.  When I left one was sitting on one of the corners out of site from where we were sitting.  Not sure where the others were.  I guess off hunting, playing or sleeping on the roof.
Enjoyable morning as usual.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #850 on: August 07, 2010, 14:51 »
As bccs said the 2 hours of no birds was worth the wait to see them flying about.  It was like they came from no where.  You could hear them before you could see them.  Very vocal bunch.

Great people company also.  Wonderful relaxing morning.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #849 on: August 07, 2010, 14:45 »
Today was an odd day for watching the birdies. Got there around 9, one other watcher was there. Within half an hour, we were joined by 3 others and then finally got to meet WWW. We had a grand time watching the building ::), no birdies to be found anywhere.
Many people came by to talk with us and were so very delighted that the peregrines had nested there this year and have been so successful. Met a couple with two standard poodles and boy oh boy, we learned tons about poodles. Nice dogs and very nice owners. They stayed for about 20 minutes, asked great questions about our family and seemed to be hooked as they were talking about coming back later today or tomorrow and watch for a while.
Still no birdies. :(
Then we see a man on the roof, I said wait for it, and sure enough, within about 45 seconds we heard the yelling and then saw Jules and Beau telling the man to get off THEIR roof.....  NOW.. ;D
Never saw the man again, but in come two ( could have been all three for all the circling that was going on ) chicks and they are also dive-bombing and yelling.
They settled down after about 20 minutes and I have to tell you, the two hours of watching with none of them showing up, was worth the twenty minutes of aerobatics.
So all in all, a very nice morning. Lovely birds, great phanatics and so very nice to meet new people.
Thanks ladies for the company today....  :-*

Sure would have liked to see that show!!  Sounds like a great day!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2010, 14:42 »
Sounds like thanks are also in order for the poor fool on the roof who served as falcon bait for the hopeful watchers below.  I bet he won't do that again.
Bet he will   ;D ;D   :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #847 on: August 07, 2010, 14:26 »
Sounds like thanks are also in order for the poor fool on the roof who served as falcon bait for the hopeful watchers below.  I bet he won't do that again.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #846 on: August 07, 2010, 14:02 »
Today was an odd day for watching the birdies. Got there around 9, one other watcher was there. Within half an hour, we were joined by 3 others and then finally got to meet WWW. We had a grand time watching the building ::), no birdies to be found anywhere.
Many people came by to talk with us and were so very delighted that the peregrines had nested there this year and have been so successful. Met a couple with two standard poodles and boy oh boy, we learned tons about poodles. Nice dogs and very nice owners. They stayed for about 20 minutes, asked great questions about our family and seemed to be hooked as they were talking about coming back later today or tomorrow and watch for a while.
Still no birdies. :(
Then we see a man on the roof, I said wait for it, and sure enough, within about 45 seconds we heard the yelling and then saw Jules and Beau telling the man to get off THEIR roof.....  NOW.. ;D
Never saw the man again, but in come two ( could have been all three for all the circling that was going on ) chicks and they are also dive-bombing and yelling.
They settled down after about 20 minutes and I have to tell you, the two hours of watching with none of them showing up, was worth the twenty minutes of aerobatics.
So all in all, a very nice morning. Lovely birds, great phanatics and so very nice to meet new people.
Thanks ladies for the company today....  :-*
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 14:41 by bccs »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #845 on: August 06, 2010, 22:49 »
Only saw one of the kids hanging about today, but I wasn't around for long and not at an optimal time for viewing ...

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #844 on: August 06, 2010, 14:13 »
For those that know and if you go...contact bccs early so she can place an order from Tim's for coffee & Breakfast Sandwich...I always seem to miss out on that  :( >:( ???
LOL... :'(
Aw Bob, do you want me to bring you one?? :-*

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #843 on: August 06, 2010, 09:36 »
I stopped by there on my way home yesterday.  I also thought at first there was no birds around.  Then I spotted on sitting on a ledge below the roof.  He/she took a little fly about and then landed back there.  I only stayed for about 5 - 10 min.  When I left he/she was still sitting there.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #842 on: August 05, 2010, 22:32 »
As an addendum to WWW's post, the lower ledge she is talking about isn't big enough for a food stash, its just a wonderfully sheltered location that is one of the major reasons this site has been very popular with migrating birds for more than 20 years, and one of the reasons we installed a nestbox here.  It will be interesting to see who turns up after Jules and Beau have started on their southern migration ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #841 on: August 05, 2010, 22:29 »
Today's observation from our WWW:

Those little stinkers, they have been hiding on me!!!

I spent some time at the West site today and noticed for the first time one of the birds on a small ledge lower down on the building.  It was in the shade and blended with the building so I don't even know how I spotted it.  I have to wonder exactly how long this particular spot has been in use without me noticing! 

Later in the evening you could see three birds up on the roof with two apparently playing TAG.  One would swoop out of the sky almost onto the head of the one sitting on the roof ledge.  Then that one would take off as the flyer grabbed the spot that was vacated.  The new flyer would then do a few air circles, which by the way are as strong flights as the adults now - just a little choppy during the landings. 

Just before sunset I noticed that two birds were very close together on the lower ledge again.  This appears to be a favorite spot now, and I think there may even be a food stash there (seriously - HOW DID I MISS THEM AT THIS SPOT BEFORE??).  Like I said, those little stinkers have been hiding right in front of my eyes.  A third bird was bedding down for the night just under the pole that is often used as a perch.

I'll try to have more complete observations now that I know where else on the building to look for them

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #840 on: August 05, 2010, 14:32 »
I do have alot of shots ... am currently working on setting up a proper photo gallery for WW photos, this is really our first year for them so need to set it up so y'all can find what you want to see easily - also in the hope that Jules & Beau will be back next year and we will have more photos to add to the collection!

And yes, I do have cute "kids all together" images from yesterday ....

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #839 on: August 05, 2010, 14:09 »
1600 hrs (local) - two of the chicks are lying on their bellies on the corner of the building at the nestbox - they are lying nose to nose ... can't tell who they are as all three chicks are about the same size.

That just sounds too cute.  Any chance you captured a picture of that?
I'd really enjoy some nest shots, too, if you could, please.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #838 on: August 05, 2010, 10:52 »
1600 hrs (local) - two of the chicks are lying on their bellies on the corner of the building at the nestbox - they are lying nose to nose ... can't tell who they are as all three chicks are about the same size.

That just sounds too cute.  Any chance you captured a picture of that?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #837 on: August 05, 2010, 10:36 »
For those that know and if you go...contact bccs early so she can place an order from Tim's for coffee & Breakfast Sandwich...I always seem to miss out on that  :( >:( ???
LOL... :'(

We will be having ours in Edmonton  ;D ;D