Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 83492 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / March
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 15:30 »

Yes I have my instructions to call Rose when I spotted the falcons this spring  ;).  I thought I saw one yesterday soaring off to the north and I didn't have binos so I wasn't too sure. Today there was one perched on the mts tower, so off I went to the parkade. I also believe its not Zeus or Hurricane, maybe its Holly, but I have never seen Holly. She was preening and showing off her legs and had that pinkish/salmony color on her breast, very pretty bird. She flew off about five minutes after Rose got up to the parkade. We were both happy to see that somebody was home.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 15:32 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 11:22 »
Thanks Rose, I'll let our folks in Brandon know and maybe they can help out with an ID!

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 11:11 »
As long as it's not Trey, sightseeing around the province rather than showing up here in Winnipeg! Great way to get the day started, Rose -- and it's good to hear that somebody's back in Brandon.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:09 »
Falcon alert! Just back from parkade (rbc phoned and told me to get my butt down there PDQ) One very pretty bird on the mts tower preening herself, I say she because this falcon looked to be a good size,so don't think it was Hurricane and not silvery like Zeus.So who might it be? If we had better binocs might have been able to read the bands because she lifted her legs to clean them. Then she flew off to the south. Will check back later today.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 05:03 »
Will have to leave Peregrine spotting up to Rose and RCMF as I am away for Spring Break.  Hope to see the kids when I get back.  Y'all have a great weekend!

:D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 20:42 »
Hang in there, Rapidcity, Rose and BirdLover! ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 18:55 »
Any time now RCF - they usually nest a week behind the Radisson bird but no real worries if they don't return right away.  The Fargo birds usually nest a month before our birds and the pair were just reunited late last week/early this week, so we still have lots of time.  By the end of April I would be concerned that no one was coming back ... does that help?

Yes, Thank you Tracy, but I sure hope they return soon, getting anxious  ::)  Maybe a little jealous because they are back in Winnipeg.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 18:58 by Rapidcitymbfan »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 18:40 »
Any time now RCF - they usually nest a week behind the Radisson bird but no real worries if they don't return right away.  The Fargo birds usually nest a month before our birds and the pair were just reunited late last week/early this week, so we still have lots of time.  By the end of April I would be concerned that no one was coming back ... does that help?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 18:12 »
Question for Tracy,  Do you know, when roughly the Brandon Peregrines usually return in the spring or when they have returned in the past?  I have been looking everyday and have been checking all their little stash spots (the S on the scotia bank building and the spot under the black/green ledge).  So far I have not seen any.  :(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 20:58 »
Well, I saw a Merlin today.  So, does that mean another three weeks before we see the Peregrines back?
Merlins sound promising, BirdLover! :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 14:41 »
Well, I saw a Merlin today.  So, does that mean another three weeks before we see the Peregrines back?

Hey BirdLover,

Is that like groundhog day,  ;D you know six more weeks of winter.  :)
I just keep seeing pigeons on the Mckenzie building no falcons yet.  I did see a bald eagle on thursday in Rapid City, so hopefully our falcons will be back soon. :)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 20:33 »
Keep us posted, Rapidcity and Birdlover! :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:18 »
I've been watching everyday for our falcon friends.  I work one block south of the Mckenzie building.  I am always disappointed to see the roof covered with pigeons, but probably not for long. As soon as the falcons return they will have to find somewhere else to roost.  Rose asks me everyday if I have seen them yet. So far the answer is not yet.  :(   I may have recruited a co-worker, she's been trying to find her binoculars  8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 11:29 »
Do let me know what you see ... the Brandon gang will be thrilled to hear when the birds are back!