Author Topic: Polar Bears - California / San Diego Zoo  (Read 16058 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: 2011 Polar Bear - California / San Diego Zoo
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 20:11 »
Polar bear cubs between August & November! That's exciting, Elaine! :D 8)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 17:19 »
The San Diego Zoo is once again preparing for polar bear cubs, now that the season of love between Chinook and Kalluk seems to be over.  The expected birth date is sometime between August 28 and November 16.  Here is the latest blog from the polar bear site:

On February14, 2011, and for 10 days after, Chinook and Kalluk were inseparable. They slept together, ate together, swam together, and yes, bred. We can confirm that at this point we will be getting ready for the possibility of polar bear cubs this fall. However, this year breeding came early, and it’s possible we may see Chinook cycle again. It is interesting, as several other zoos with breeding polar bears have experienced this early breeding as well.

The gestation period for polar bears is 195 to 265 days, so before you get out the calendars and calculators, that gives us a due time of August 28 to November 16! To try to get as much information as possible along the way, we are collecting fecal samples and urine samples for hormone assay, and we will again do ultrasound exams with Chinook as we approach implantation and birth time. As you know, she does seem to greatly enjoy her belly-rubbing ultrasound sessions!

Kalluk is still showing a heightened level of testosterone with his behavior and inconsistent appetite. For males in the wild, this lack of eating is proving to be of concern as we lose more ice. In the wild, male polar bears begin searching for receptive females early in the spring. Once they breed with a female, she goes off to hunt and store as much fat as possible while he goes off in search of another receptive female. As the ice disappears earlier in summer, the males are losing precious time to hunt.

Kalluk doesn’t have this worry, as finding food is never an issue. Over the past weeks it has been difficult to get him to acknowledge food, but yesterday he ate 20 pounds (9 kilograms) of meat in one sitting. Kalluk is also beginning to actually sleep; during breeding season, he is so intent on where Chinook is that he rarely does anything more than a quick nap. Both eating and sleeping are good signs that we may be heading back to normal!

Chinook also has some resting to do. Kalluk is twice her size and very attentive to her every move. She is now spending a great deal of time snoozing in our mulch piles or taking long, luxurious swims in the pool. Two days ago Chinook and Kalluk had a great romping play-and- dive session, another sign that “normal” may be right around the corner.

Tatqiq seems to have a great understanding of what breeding season means to her. She is patiently waiting until her friends lose their romantic interests and regain their playful spirits and once again join her in a good romp around the exhibit. Until then, she is greatly enjoying having all the carrots to herself and is busy hunting gophers in Polar Bear Park.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 17:04 »
Yes, I did see that, this afternoon!  8) Tuned in to the polar bears this morning with my Kinderchicklets, but all we saw was a pile of food - no bears in sight!  ::) :P Too bad!  :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 14:01 »
A really great view right now of Chinook asleep on her dirt pile, with the arctic foxes asleep just behind her (in a separate enclosure, of course).  The foxes look up towards Chinook every now and again, possibly wondering if she is ever going to kill something so that they can grab a bite. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2011, 13:04 »
One of the polar bears grazing on a grass covered rock right now, near some bushes. Never seen that before. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 19:08 »
... So, Kalluk continues his wooing, and is at it again with the dancing.  This time, it looks like a two-step.  He has a pretty good rhythm going.  Chinook is giving him the eye, so maybe this is the dance that will do the trick! 

LOL, Elaine! ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2011, 16:09 »
I believe that in the polar bear world, once they have mated, the female won't have anything more to do with the male, so the fact that they are still together in the enclosure means that nothing has happened yet; of course, with Chinook giving Kalluk the cold shoulder, nothing is happening anyway.  So, Kalluk continues his wooing, and is at it again with the dancing.  This time, it looks like a two-step.  He has a pretty good rhythm going.  Chinook is giving him the eye, so maybe this is the dance that will do the trick! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 16:20 »
These guys are really fun to watch! :D Two of them frolicking together in the water right now. I had forgotten how entertaining they can be. Thanks for reminding us, Elaine. :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34 »
Funny yellow polar bear playing with a hose in the enclosure right now ...  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 20:47 »
LOL, Elaine! I absolutely love your commentaries! :) Taking the day off work tomorrow. Must check in on these two ;).

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 17:00 »
Well, Kalluk spent some time this afternoon doing a mating dance for his Lady-Love, Chinook.  He is no Michael Jackson, but he does have some good moves, although he is somewhat repetitious.  He kept at it for quite a while, so I give him marks for persistence.  Chinook did glance his way a couple of times during this dance routine, and when she moved off, she took her time, instead of making a bee-line for the exit.  And she did not growl at him or swat him in the face, either.  I do believe that she is beginning to come around.   

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 09:34 »
That's true, Kinderchick; I never thought of that.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 17:29 »
...Every time he gets really amorous and tries to mate with her, the camera moves away; I don't know why, I think most of us have seen animals mating in nature specials at one time or another, but anyway...

LOL! Love your commentary, Elaine! :) I'm thinking that the camera averts it's "eyes" due to the fact that there may be wee ones watching (like Kinderchicklets! :o) so they want to keep the viewing to PG13! ;) It is a "family show", after all! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 15:29 »
Well, Kalluk is all lovey-dovey this afternoon, trying out his best moves on his beloved, Chinook, who continues to give him the brush-off.  He follows her around all over the place, and the best I can say right now is that she is at least not giving him a swat in the face anymore or running away, so maybe some hormones are kicking in. 

Every time he gets really amorous and tries to mate with her, the camera moves away; I don't know why, I think most of us have seen animals mating in nature specials at one time or another, but anyway...

Meanwhile, Kalluk's sister looks completely puzzled by her brother's behavior.  He no longer wants to play with her in the water, which they used to do every afternoon.  I believe she feels abit left out of things right now, and misses the fun they used to have.  All this mating business is having an effect on everyone, I guess.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 19:11 »
LOL, Elaine! I agree with you though and I do feel a wee bit sorry for Kalluk.