Author Topic: Polar Bears - California / San Diego Zoo  (Read 15285 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: 2011 Polar Bear - California / San Diego Zoo
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2011, 21:07 »
That's really too bad about Chinook  :-\

Debbie and Skipper produced a number of young at the Assiniboine Park Zoo over the years.  Will be interesting to see if the Destination Churchill exhibit will have a similarly successful breeding record.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2011, 18:41 »
That is too bad, Elaine. :( Haven't looked at these guys lately. Thanks for reminding me about them. :)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2011, 14:56 »
Well, this will not come as a big surprise to anyone, I think:  Chinook is not pregnant.  She has now been reunited with Tatqik and Kalluk, and apparently all three are delighted to be together again, romping around in their enclosure, which is good.  But I don't know if the San Diego Zoo will ever be able to come up with just the right conditions for polar bear babies; and even if they do, there is no guarantee that the babies will live.  They have to keep trying, though.  I am sure Kalluk and Chinook will be willing to give the baby-making a go again in the Spring, but it is abit disheartening when nothing comes of it, especially considering the precarious situation of our polar bears in the wild.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2011, 12:56 »
Very interesting, sami. I didn't hear that. Please keep us posted if you hear anything else. :)

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 23:09 »
Heard on the news this evening that there was some sort of agreement between the San Diego Zoo and our Assinniboine Zoo about the polar bears - education and such, both working to the same ends. I imagine we'll hear more about it in the future.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 20:33 »
Ah, yes, I must introduce my new class of Kinderchicklets to Chinook, Kalluk and Tatqik! :D Thanks for reminding me of these guys, Elaine. I looked at them only infrequently, during our peregrine breeding season, which is as it should be. ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 15:46 »
With the end of one breeding season (the falcons), we can now turn to another breeding season (the polar bears).  All indications are that Chinook is pregnant.  She is showing all the usual signs and behavior, and the keepers at the San Diego Zoo are once again fervently hoping for the best.  But, we went through this last year, so, understandably, everyone is very nervous.  Chinook is no spring chicken, either, so this also comes into play.  It would be so wonderful to have a baby here, something that is a long time coming! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14 »
The Zoo hasn't said anything lately, but I believe Kalluk is spending most of his time on the other side...
Ah... thanks, I thought I was looking at Kalluk this past little while. I really have had some difficulty telling the bears apart. ::) Need to study them more, I guess. :-\

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 15:28 »
The Zoo hasn't said anything lately, but I believe Kalluk is spending most of his time on the other side; I don't know if this is the Zoo's idea or his.  Right now, it is his sister, Tatqik, who is front and center of the camera, she is the great carrot lover, you can see how much pleasure she gets out of eating those carrots.  Chinook has a bigger stomach and a bigger caboose, and her eyes are more slanted.  I expect that she is on the other side, as well, unless they have placed her in separate quarters in case of pregnancy.  Tatqik is not quite as entertaining as the big guy, but she is fun to watch in the water as she thinks of all kinds of games to play on her own.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2011, 13:34 »
Every time I look lately, Kalluk is sleeping on that pile of hay under the "bridge"! ::)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2011, 11:53 »
No polar bears in sight at all right now, dancing or sleeping!  :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46 »
I have just been lucky to catch the boy in action, Kinderchick.  According to the Zoo, he wore himself out with the whole mating ritual.  He was so focussed on getting Chinook's cooperation that he hardly ate anything, and sleeping just took time away from the task at hand.  When he is up and at it, he is a joy to behold.  He is also one of the major stars of the Zoo; they say that people come there just to see him (and he is not one to be shy about performing!)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2011, 19:48 »
Every time I tune into Kalluk these days, he's sound asleep! ::)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2011, 18:51 »
Well, Kalluk, "the dancing machine" is looking pretty exhausted right now, passed out on his rock slab! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2011, 17:10 »
Oh, that Kalluk.  He is just dancing up a storm out there, all by himself.  I don't know how he makes his way around all his toys, but he manages.  The guy is just a dancing machine, and the crowd is lapping it up.  I think it is his sister in the background eating the carrots; she looks curious, but not concerned about the hot hoofer, so I guess she has seen it all.