Author Topic: AB / Red Deer - Telus Tower - 2010-13  (Read 28455 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Red Deer - Telus Tower - 2012 / Windsong & ?
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2012, 14:57 »

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 15:12 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2012, 14:51 »
Thanks bev.  I am impatiently waiting to find out who she is.  ;D  Sure hope she does a little leg showing soon.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2012, 10:37 »
3 eggs is great here. Last 2 years Gord had to put chicks in as eggs did not hatch out .The last female may have been nesting places that  had contaminants. that was one theory and I do not know if results of eggs are known yet.

Still trying when I can to get band .
always hoping that  one is one  of ours from Edmonton

most sites in Edmonton have 3 or 4 eggs.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2012, 07:42 »
Very interesting info about average clutch sizes in different parts of North America. Once again, I have learned something new. Thanks, TPC. :)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #236 on: June 13, 2012, 20:26 »
Thanks for 'splainin' that TPC.  :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2012, 14:27 »
...Unfortunately, no one has read the band on the new female at Red Deer so far. The small clutch (3) suggests she may be breeding for her first time. We may get a chance to read her band in the coming weeks - most likely she is from Alberta but may be from as far away as Winnipeg!...
I didn't know that a clutch of 3 was considered to be a small clutch. I thought that 3 would be considered an average clutch, with 4-5 a larger clutch. Does the size of the clutch depend both on the age and experience of the birds, TPC, as well as on the genetic make-up of the birds? ???

Okay, in the north and Mexico, mean clutch size is 3.0 to 3.3 eggs (so 3 eggs is the norm).  Southern Canada and continental USA (where anatum subspecies lives) it is 3.72 eggs, so 3-4 is the norm. Aleutian Islands of Alaska mean is 3.8, so 4 is the norm more times than not.  Clutches of 5+ eggs is considered occasional about 1% of all nests.

That is a general statement.  For some pairs 5 is the norm, and anything under that is small for them.  For others 3 is the norm, so 4 eggs would be considered large for them.  Larger is always the issue/concern, feeding 1+ more mouth is obviously harder (requires  exponentially more labour, time and resources) than feeding 1+ fewer mouths.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2012, 13:05 »
...Unfortunately, no one has read the band on the new female at Red Deer so far. The small clutch (3) suggests she may be breeding for her first time. We may get a chance to read her band in the coming weeks - most likely she is from Alberta but may be from as far away as Winnipeg!...

I didn't know that a clutch of 3 was considered to be a small clutch. I thought that 3 would be considered an average clutch, with 4-5 a larger clutch. Does the size of the clutch depend both on the age and experience of the birds, TPC, as well as on the genetic make-up of the birds? ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2012, 21:28 »
Good news BL!! 8)   I sure hope they or somebody will be able to read her band soon, it would be cool if she were from Manitoba.  :)

I can't help but hope it could be Cassie from U of A, 2008 (I think).  Radisson, her mother, is from Manitoba.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2012, 20:44 »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2012, 22:28 »
I just caught the end of a feed.  :)   

Video - http://youtu.be/0mv0XVxuTf0

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2012, 22:17 »
Good news BL!! 8)   I sure hope they or somebody will be able to read her band soon, it would be cool if she were from Manitoba.  :)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2012, 20:55 »
Finally got an answer from Alberta Fish and Wildlife.  I have copied and pasted below.  Unfortunately we are still in the dark as to where this hen is from. Oh well, the two seem to be fine at the nest and the three chicks are thriving.   :D

Great to hear from another peregrine fan!

Many of the peregrines in central Alberta are banded.  They where a standard Unites States Fish and Wildlife Service band on one leg and a custom Acraft black and silver band on the other.  The black band indicates that the bird is considered Falco peregrinus anatum and was born in the wild.  The alpha numeric code can be read using a spotting scope and sometimes from camera images.  Unfortunately, no one has read the band on the new female at Red Deer so far.  The small clutch (3) suggests she may be breeding for her first time.  We may get a chance to read her band in the coming weeks - most likely she is from Alberta but may be from as far away as Winnipeg.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2012, 14:03 »
Yup  :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2012, 12:41 »
Cam is back up and running.  Third hatch happened overnight!  Woot! Woot!  All got a good feed this morning after the cam came up.  ;D

Good News BL!!   ;D

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2012, 12:28 »
Cam is back up and running.  Third hatch happened overnight!  Woot! Woot!  All got a good feed this morning after the cam came up.  ;D