Author Topic: News: Waterbirds & Waterfowl  (Read 17203 times)

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: News: Waterbirds & Waterfowl - 2011
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 12:21 »
that wouldn't be good either.  If a peregrine eats a pigeon that it'self has just eaton Pigeon poisen ..... ???

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 07:08 »
...no need to worry now, I guess you missed the previous postings - the female goose died, and the nest has been abandoned...maybe next year...

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 00:22 »
I thank you for your explanation, but I still have a problem with how they plan to get these goslings from the 3rd floor from the MB Hydro bldg to the nearest river with the parents in tow. Sounds like a very difficult thing to do. Maybe they should put a swimming pool up there until the goslings are ready to fly.   ::) ::) ::)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 09:10 »
Yes I agree does seem unusual. Someone said they are good nest sites. I thought once the eggs hatch, the mother wants to lead them to water. This is fine if they can waddle to the water but they definitely can't do it from a roof top. 

There are Canada Geese that nest on the roof at Oak Hammock and the building management lay out multiple little ramps to help them work their way down to the ground.  When they have nested in other higher-than-ground level situations sometimes they just jump (like from the haystack goose in Alberta a couple of years ago - or heck woodducks do it on purpose) - depending on the surface at the bottom, the chicks can bounce quite successfully.  On even higher locations, building managers or wildlife managers risk the parents ire to scoop up the goslings and their parents and taken them down by stair or elevator - that kind of egress is a bit hairy for everyone involved but quick and effective when done by folks that know what they are doing.  I don't the spot they were nesting on this year (not at all) so I can't propose possible scenarios, I can just tell you a couple I know have been done elsewhere.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 23:07 »
Yes I agree does seem unusual. Someone said they are good nest sites. I thought once the eggs hatch, the mother wants to lead them to water. This is fine if they can waddle to the water but they definitely can't do it from a roof top. 

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 22:12 »
Seems unusual, doesn't it? 

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 18:57 »
Very sad.  :'(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 18:38 »
Awww :'( So sad

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 14:00 »
...sad news...got to work this morning to find out that the female goose died sometime this weekend, apparently it was just lying there on the eggs, not moving...
Sorry to hear that, jadoo. :'(

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 08:37 »
...very; but these are probably pretty good nest sites - i wouldn't be surprised if this happens again next year (hopefully without the death of the sitting female)...and I have to wonder about the goose on the top of the Boyd building...also, these were not the only low-flying geese I've seen around downtown winnipeg, who know's what might be on some of the other roofs... ;)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 07:48 »
Isn't that a strange ending?

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43 »
...sad news...got to work this morning to find out that the female goose died sometime this weekend, apparently it was just lying there on the eggs, not moving;  the body was apparently removed yesterday, and the nest is still sitting there with the eggs, looking all forlorn...no word on how the bird died;  there is a goose hanging out on the roof of the Boyd building - don't know if it's the male for this nest, or if there is something else going on on the Boyd building, but now we'll never know how the chicks were going to make it to the river...sigh... :-\

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 09:22 »
...I'm kinda wondering how they'll get down off the 3rd floor roof... :P

Jump   ;D

Only if they get fitted with a parachute first, please.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 08:15 »
...I'm kinda wondering how they'll get down off the 3rd floor roof... :P

Jump   ;D
Yikes - no photos please!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 13:18 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird