Author Topic: NY / Buffalo - U of Buffalo - 2010-16  (Read 7374 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: NY / Buffalo - U of Buffalo - 2016 / Yankee & Dixie
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08 »
Despite the fact that none of their five eggs hatched, Yankee and Dixie have not given up. They have started a second clutch. Today, Dixie laid her third egg.

Yankee and Dixie have been staying very close together at the nest site, and have been switching incubating duties frequently.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 18:39 »
The four overdue eggs were removed this morning and will be sent for testing, as explained on Peregrine Place.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 18:34 »
This was posted yesterday at 3:04pm on Peregrine Place:

NEWS ALERT: UB The DEC has just informed me that it is accepted that the eggs are no longer viable and they will be removed from the box.and sent to a lab for analysis. It is being planned for tomorrow if everything else is completed today.

Our DEC had to coordinate with UB, the head Wildlife Mgr, get permission from the Albany DEC and the USFWS in Cortland. Nothing could be done before that.

Of course this is very sad for us but at least the birds will no longer have to keep incubating non-viable eggs. The nest box will be checked to try and determine the cause of this year’s problems. I will post any information as it come in.

On a good note for our Peregrine watchers, we have the great Statler cam to follow and I think there is a crack in one egg which I’ve seen to the left.

Peregrine Place: https://www.facebook.com/PeregrinePlaceWNY/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2016, 04:50 »
Dixie finally went back to the eggs. I didn't see exactly when she moved, but around 3:30 am.

At 4:14 am she went to the front (where she had been throughout the evening), then back on the eggs about 4:30 am, and soon off again.

Most of the time I could not see her head, and the view was too grainy to see if she was panting or not.

At 5:30 am she was still standing near the front of the box.

Now it is light again, and I can clearly see her panting while back on the eggs at 5:45 am.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 22:28 »
It's dark now and Dixie is sitting towards the edge of the box ... but she's not incubating.  Poor birds. :'(  

I've had no problem watching this live cam with IE, but only the first two views work:

http://www.buffalo.edu/falconcam.html

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 15:48 »
These 5 eggs are due to hatch soon; however, there are concerns that Yankee and Dixie are not looking well. :(

The following message was posted on Peregrine Place about an hour ago:

UB - The concerns about the UB nest are valid but there is no way we can diagnose from the cam. Dixie is still panting, getting up and down, mouth open, and generally very fidgety. There are still five eggs and I don't see any pips yet. If you see anything happening with the eggs, please post your news and text me because I may not be at the laptop.
There are two diseases peregrines can get if they eat a diseased pigeon. I won't go into details here because it's just a possibility though both are fatal.
These eggs should be hatching, so again, please let us know as soon as you see hatching action. There is a fluffy little white feather and I was hoping for a hatch but it must be from a prey item.
Now her leg is sticking out oddly and her mouth is wide open and she's panting. For those who can, please watch this cam as much as you can for the time being and keep us posted. Connie, Joyce and I are searching for the answers and we will share anything we learn. Dixie especially does not seem well.
PLEASE, LET'S NOT HAVE EVERYONE DISCUSSING THE POSSIBLITIES ON THIS PAGE. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING SERIOUS TO ADD, fb- TEXT ME. Hatching will begin soon and we will know more.

Link to Peregrine Place on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/PeregrinePlaceWNY/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
NY / Buffalo - U of Buffalo - 2016 / Yankee & Dixie
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 13:09 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

The resident male at this nest continues to be Yankee, banded black/black 32/Y, and the resident female continues to be Dixie, who is unbanded.

The first egg was laid on March 23, and the second on March 25. After that, the birds were on the eggs pretty much full time.

Now, they have five eggs! Well done, Dixie and Yankee!

http://www.buffalo.edu/falconcam.html

This site works, at least for me, only in IE, and just barely.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:37 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Buffalo / U of Buffalo - 2015 / Yankee & Dixie
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 01:01 »
Cade is not a particularly unusual name for peregrines, particularly in the US - Tom Cade founded the Peregrine Fund in 1970.
We even named one of our male peregrines after Dr Cade - he is/was a brother of Beatrix our West Winnipeg female.

As for moving BB, the USFWS may have been under intense scrutiny and pressure to "do something" with her given her very protective nature.  They may have preferred to leave her alone but that may not have been an option.  We were getting close to having to "do something" about Jules in West Winnipeg and then she didn't return the next spring.  We had one trick left in our book that we hoped would work to push her to a safe nestsite, but we never got the chance to see if it would have worked with her.  It has however ensured that Beau (2014) and Beatrix (2014 & 2015) and Ty (2015) never took a second look at Jules' favourite nestsite.

And who knows what BB will do next spring ... Beau has taken to his new digs and his new lady friend like a dream, so maybe BB and Cade will likewise find their groove yet.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 18:43 »
The renovation work on the heating plant has been completed, but the cams are still down. There are plans to install a third cam for the 2016 season, which will show the whole ledge.

Yankee and Dixie have both been seen at the nest.

BB is now in Arizona. She is an education bird at Arizona's Raptor Experience. Why she was sent to Arizona, I don't know. She has been renamed Defiant, and she has a male companion named Cade. I have no idea where he is from.

BB laid an egg in the gravel in August. She has been provided with a nest tray, but so far she has not shown interest in it.

As far as her supposed "aggression" is concerned, this is a quote from Arizona's Raptor Experience:

Visitors were absolutely amazed at her gentle, quiet, attentive, peaceful behavior today (10-31-2015).

Cade (left) and BB/Defiant (right). Photo by Arizona's Raptor Experience.

https://www.facebook.com/arizonasraptorexperience/?fref=photo

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 17:59 »
I do not understand why this site is removing not only the adults but the chicks as well.  If it was just one bird that was being aggressive, I could possibly understand, but not what they continue to do.  It is very upsetting.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 14:49 »
Updating a bit:

On May 26, DEC biologists removed three healthy chicks (two females, one male) from the nest box. The chicks were placed with a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, Hawk Creek Wildlife Center in East Aurora, where they were fostered to a tiercel named Blaze, who is a permanent resident at Hawk Creek.

A fourth egg was removed from the nest, but there was no sign of the fifth egg. There is no way to tell whether the egg did not hatch, or whether a fourth chick hatched and did not survive.

The chicks' parents, Yankee and Dixie, have continued to be seen at their nest.

This is Blaze at Hawk Creek with the three young peregrines. Photo by Tanya Lowe.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 00:20 »
There was another bird that was going to be removed for the same reason a number of years ago - I think in Minnesota somewhere - it was attacking people on the ground at quite a distance from the nestsite.  I think in the end the pair moved or she didn't return or something and they never did follow through.  I just don't quite remember which means now I'm going to have to hunt up the bird.  ::)  

It was suggested that we might try to remove Jules because of where she was nesting and because she was so aggressive - the latter compounding the problem caused by the former.  I opted to try to get her to move and when we couldn't get that didn't get much pick-up, we moved her chicks when we could without injuring them knowing she would follow.  It was a risky move worth trying but it was still a compromise.  In the end, we did manage to get a barrier installed so she couldn't nest in her preferred location and that was the year Beatrix took over.

It would be interesting to know exactly how aggressive BB is/was.  If she was a risk to people working or living nearby, she could very well have been injured by someone trying to protect themselves - remember there was a workman (in Alberta?) who was using a broom to keep the peregrines away from him.  Something like that could have gone very wrong and the peregrine would have been the inevitable loser.  And yes, DEC has a duty to protect wildlife, but wildlife will almost always come second to human safety, even if it is just normal, natural behaviour.  This is speculation on my part, but faced with orders to "do something", taking her out of circulation may have been the best compromise they could come up with.  Re-releasing her makes me suspect that they weren't thrilled with the idea of removing her either and hoped that in a new location with a new mate she would be a bit mellower - I can't imagine that the captive facility wouldn't have been able to release her without DEC's approval.  Too bad it seems not to have worked, but captivity may be better than a more permanent removal ...  

And yes, it was a possibility that she could have been less aggressive in her new situation.  Just as every bird is an individual, so too is every pair. Joli is aggressive but much less so with Hart than she was with Cowboy.  Cowboy was an assassin but fortunately, he was in place where he didn't cause too too many problems (he wasn't problem-free however) and he wasn't interested in random passersby so everyone could live with him.  T-Rex was like Cowboy and that never changed, fortunately, he had the pick of the territories so he only beat on the Project when we had to get close to his nests.  Princess is a great protector, but she learned how to pick her battles from Trey and she has taught Ivy and Smiley.

just my two cents ... :) 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 22:18 »
This is not the first time that the Buffalo peregrines have been interfered with.

Some time back, the former resident female, BB, was removed from the nest (again without any advance notice) and put into captivity. This was allegedly done because she was "aggressive". She had been there for years, and suddenly she was gone...

Removed because she was "aggressive"?! :o
Holy smokes!
Isn't that the nature of PF's?
What on earth IS wrong with Buffalo?! >:(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 23:15 »
I read through all of this and I am as equally disturbed about the treatment of these Falcons.
Can someone of authority not contact Buffalo and stand up for the right of the peregrine falcon?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 23:01 »
That is very disappointing. Do you know who the resident pair are, Alison? ???
It is way beyond disappointing. The resident pair are Yankee and his mate Dixie. Yankee is Canadian, from the Niagara Gorge nest. He is banded black/black 42/Y on the right leg, with a silver band on the left. Dixie is unbanded. She replaced the former resident female BB after BB was forcibly removed from the nest by the DEC.