Author Topic: 2010 - Kinderchicklets / "Perry" & "Nascha"  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: "Perry" the Peregrine Falcon & "Nascha" the Great Grey Owl
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 23:05 »
The Kinderchicklets had a wonderful visit this morning from "Perry" the Peregrine Falcon and "Tao" the Great Horned Owl. Originally, "Nascha" the Great Grey Owl was to come to school with "Perry", but according to Jen from the Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, "Nascha" had sore feet from working so much last week, so needed to rest! :o

It was really impressive to see these 2 raptors at school and to see how the 'chicklets responded to them. But what impressed Jen, TPC, was how much the Kinderchicklets knew about peregrine falcons, especially the Raddisson birds!
Must be all of their great questions that they have asked you and of course, all of your great answers! ;D

When Jen first took "Perry" out of his carry case, he shivered a bit and Jen explained that he was just a little bit nervous about coming to a new place. I guess it was kind of like when the 'chicklets first started school and they were a bit nervous. ;) "Perry" is such a beautiful, gentle peregrine and was very well behaved at school, except of course when he needed to display some of his "poop art"! :o Thank goodness, Jen had brought some newspapers to stand on! :P Needless to say, it was the highlight of the morning for the Kinderchicklets! 8) What is it about "poop art"?! ::)

As for "Tao", she was not so well behaved and Jen had a bit of a difficult time getting her to come out of her carry case. When she finally did come out, she sat on Jen's arm, glaring at the Kinderchicklets with her big eyes, for a few minutes, before deciding that this was HER territory. At that point, she gave Jen a bit of a run for her money, because she wanted to fly around! :o While the 'chicklets did enjoy seeing her extend her big wings, some of them were actually a little afraid of her and were glad when Jen decided it was time for her to go back in her carry case! :P

Jen was wonderful, the way she spoke to the Kinderchicklets about these 2 awesome raptors and about wildlife in general. I'm certain that it will be a day that will long be remembered by the 'chicklets, as well as their teachers and the other special visitor who came by, just for the occasion. :D

After Jen left, the Kinderchicklets went back to their classroom (the event took place in the library) and wrote about "Perry" and "Tao" in their journals, even drawing pictures of the 2 raptors. I have taken some photos of the birds as well as a few of the 'chicklets' illustrations, Tracy, which I will send to you via e-mail, to post somewhere on the Forum, along with the photos of their pine-cone peregrine chicks! 8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 23:29 by Kinderchick »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: "Perry" the Peregrine Falcon & "Nascha" the Great Grey Owl
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 16:37 »
The Kinderchicklets will like meeting Perry, he came out to visit with us at our Christmas Event last December and he was a perfect guest!

Give my best to Jen!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2010 - Kinderchicklets / "Perry" & "Nascha"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 16:16 »
Thanks to 2kawaii, who posted that "Perry" the Peregrine Falcon was going to be at Wild Birds Unlimited, my local birding store, I had a chance to see a real peregrine falcon, up close and personal, a few weeks ago. :D

Now, "Perry" is coming to visit the Kinderchicklets this Monday morning, along with another raptor named "Nascha", a Great Grey Owl. Jen, from the Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre will be bringing them. Needless to say, this teacher is VERY excited and so are the Kinderchicklets! ;D We will tell you all about it next week! 8)