Author Topic: ID Help: Red-tailed Hawks  (Read 7256 times)

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
Re: ID Help: Red-tailed Hawks
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 11:58 »
I've seen red tails in the dead of winter here in London.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 04:58 »
From what I have seen...Red-Tails seem to hang around longer than most. Seen 2 this past week-end.

Cheers !

My daughter and I saw one this past Saturday.  It was sitting on a hydro pole along the highway between St. Adolphe and Niverville.  We stopped to get a look at it and it flew off.  It sure is a big bird.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 20:49 »
From what I have seen...Red-Tails seem to hang around longer than most. Seen 2 this past week-end.

Cheers !

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 16:38 »
I saw a Red-tailed Hawk today about 20 miles north of Brandon.  I am not sure if this is an unusual siting at this time of year or not?  ???

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 21:44 »
Yes I do believe what I saw was a Red-tailed hawk.  It looked just like the ones in your photos Dennis.
A few years ago I would not have noticed anything like this.  Now I am always looking for birds.
That a girl Moonstar!!!! 
I know the feeling! 
I keep looking up too!
However, in downtown Regina, when you look up, all you see are pigeons and gulls!   :(
But, a LOT of the times, I see Red-tailed Hawks, Swainson's, kestrels, DUCKS AND GEESE!   ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 21:44 »
A few years ago I would not have noticed anything like this.  Now I am always looking for birds.
I agree one hundred percent, Moostar.  
Joining this forum has opened a huge world for me.  
I've gained so much enjoyment, wonder and awe of the birds, and pretty much the same for the people of the forum!

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 21:21 »
Yes I do believe what I saw was a Red-tailed hawk.  It looked just like the ones in your photos Dennis.
A few years ago I would not have noticed anything like this.  Now I am always looking for birds.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 20:52 »
Red-tailed Hawks are big birds and do like to sit on bales in search of mice...perhaps this is what you saw ??
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/redtailed_hawk
Beautiful photos, dennis! :D Easy to see how these hawks could be mistaken for falcons, way up high in the sky, for those who don't know their raptors very well.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 20:44 »
Isn't it wonderful and aren't we lucky that we have the opportunity to see all this flying wildlife!!!!   ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 19:26 »
I see quite a few red-tailed hawks perched on hydro poles on my daily drive to work in Brandon.  :)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 22:52 »
Red-tailed Hawks are big birds and do like to sit on bales in search of mice...perhaps this is what you saw ??

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/redtailed_hawk

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 23:47 »
Today I was driving to the city from St. Adolphe on highway 200...St. Mary's Rd.  On a bale of hay there was a huge brown coloured bird sitting there just looking around.  Don't have a clue what kind of bird is was.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:52 »
A hunting I will go,   ;D ;D  thanks Bob.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:46 »
Kenaston,Bishop and Waverly has always been a hot spot for see raptors...as well down Bishop towards St. Annes rd. From what I have seen it's been Swainson Hawks. Often seen in the Waverly and Scurfield area are Merlins. And don't be surprised to see an Eagle soaring Bishop,Pembina/St.Annes as we get closer to fall.
I have fallowed Swainsons for the last few years and have found this pair to nest on Wilkes and on M'Gillivary...so it's not uncommon to see them in the city...just my thoughts !

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 15:17 »
I am pretty sure that we are seeing the same thing, although in different cities.  While driving home from work yesterday, I saw a bird that looked very much like a peregrine, only larger, swoop down off a post and grab something by the side of the road.  The wingspread was larger than a peregrine, and although the chest was quite white, the rest of this raptor was pretty rusty-red.  It certainly wasn't an owl.  I took a really good look, despite the traffic, and based on past experience at the Wildlife Rehab Centre, I am sure these are hawks we are seeing, and they are moving into our towns and cities. 

One morning this week on my way to work at the lights on Bishop Grandin and Waveryly, I saw bird that kind of looked like a Peregrine (I know it was not a Peregrine tho).  It was hovering in the air then flew in a cirlcle and hovered again and then swooped down to the ground.  As the light change it flew off with something in it's claws.  I have never seen anything like that before...it was pretty cool.  Not sure what kind of bird it was.