Author Topic: Radisson - 2008 / Trey & Princess  (Read 300950 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: Radisson - Sept 2008 / Trey & Princess
« Reply #2611 on: September 19, 2008, 07:42 »
Have just added some more photos of the Radisson Birds...both Trey and Princess.
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrine_2008

Cheers !
Dennis

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2610 on: September 17, 2008, 20:58 »
maggieblue, thanks for the good picture you painted.   :) 

I know I heard the first geese early Monday the 1st.  I've heard or seen them several days each week since then.  I took it to mean an early winter.  Hopefully they are just staging, and not leaving yet.  It'll sure change "observation night" plans at Fort Whyte if they leave soon! 

TPC, thanks for the website.  I will add it to my favourites. 

I haven't seen T or P since last week.  Glad to hear (why don't we say "read"?) they're still around.   ;)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2609 on: September 16, 2008, 18:05 »
I am so glad to hear that Princess and Trey are still around.  Tracy mentioned seeing the geese.  I don't know if it is any kind of an indicator, but the geese don't appear to be heading south at the moment.  Very early this morning when I let my dogs out in west Winnipeg shortly after dawn, there was small group after small group of geese flying low overhead heading northwest in a very leisurely fashion.  I can only assume they were going out for breakfast. I watched for about five minutes, and then when I went out over an hour later the scene was the same so I am thinking that there must have been several hundred.  They were flying very low, almost at treetop level, and the morning sun was lighting up their breasts.   

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2608 on: September 16, 2008, 00:15 »
The biologists send me the migration information as our peregrines with tracking devices head out until they are in place. i do believe  it might be posted on the Edmonton site if the web people are up to it.  I can feed the information as I have it if you want.

I would really like to know where our wee girls will head ???

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2607 on: September 15, 2008, 17:50 »
Saw lots of both Princess & Trey today, both sitting on the ledge across from me. 

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2606 on: September 15, 2008, 11:20 »
The only Canadian website that I have found that has any migration information on peregrines is Big Frank's raptor watch in  Scarborough.  There is a daily count of the raptors passing through.  Of the 5,845 counted last year, 72 were identified as peregrines.

Frank is the person I was paired with during the fledge watch here in Etobicoke, really nice guy and extremely knowledgeable about birds.  I was supposed to go down this weekend to help him with the migration watch but we are rained out so I didn't go..hopefully next weekend! 
Wow Carly, this sounds great.  Please let us know what happens next weekend. :)

Online The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2605 on: September 15, 2008, 00:08 »
I have been wondering if there are any Canadian web sites that are tracking peregrine migration?
I have been checking in on the Ospreys being tracked by the Highland Wildlife Foundation from Scotland and it is fascinating to follow the migration route in detail.  The technology is pretty impressive.  Solar powered transmitters provide hourly, accurate GPS, as well as readings of direction, speed and altitude.  This is combined with, I think they said, Google Earth Plus.  Of course, there is a downside, as there are not always happy endings, especially for the juveniles. 
The only Canadian website that I have found that has any migration information on peregrines is Big Frank's raptor watch in  Scarborough.  There is a daily count of the raptors passing through.  Of the 5,845 counted last year, 72 were identified as peregrines.
http://raptorwatch.blogspot.com
Does Alberta report on the birds that they have been tracking?

There are a few birds that have transmitters on them, most, if not all, from Alberta.  If you want to find out how difficult it is to actually get a transmitter on a peregrine, check out the Edmonton, Alberta thread - they tried to catch Radisson, the female in Edmonton this year, to put a transmitter on her and she was having none of it!  Tried a couple of times as I recall.  They (Alberta & CWS) do track these peregrines' migration but they don't have a website or GIS tracking for them. 

As for hawkwatches (as they are frequently called) they happen at all key raptor migration routes across the country - we have a couple of locations in the Pembina Valley where the elevation and topography makes for the perfect route for raptors and for folks to watch them - the latter because the route causes the birds to travel along a narrow flyway and the result is you can count hundreds of birds at a sitting.  Local birders that stake out these locations usually email their sightings so if y'all are interested, I'll post raptor sightings as I receive them as I'm on the list.  I'll start a new thread tonight and post as they come in.  I'm not sure if there is a blog similar to Frank's for Manitoba, but I'll have a look around ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2604 on: September 14, 2008, 17:32 »

Frank is the person I was paired with during the fledge watch here in Etobicoke, really nice guy and extremely knowledgeable about birds.  I was supposed to go down this weekend to help him with the migration watch but we are rained out so I didn't go..hopefully next weekend! 

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2603 on: September 14, 2008, 14:53 »
I have been wondering if there are any Canadian web sites that are tracking peregrine migration?
I have been checking in on the Ospreys being tracked by the Highland Wildlife Foundation from Scotland and it is fascinating to follow the migration route in detail.  The technology is pretty impressive.  Solar powered transmitters provide hourly, accurate GPS, as well as readings of direction, speed and altitude.  This is combined with, I think they said, Google Earth Plus.  Of course, there is a downside, as there are not always happy endings, especially for the juveniles. 
http://raptorwatch.blogspot.com
Does Alberta report on the birds that they have been tracking?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2602 on: September 14, 2008, 13:00 »
Usually the chicks leave first in my experience, the adults stay later.  Interestingly enough, except for Madame who used to overwinter here, the bird that remained latest was the one that hatched on the building.  Now in the Radisson case, that's always been the males, but as I recall Burnsie was a female of ours who came back to nest and she was the last one at a nestsite she had with an unbanded male ...

When do I expect them to leave? 

Short answer: as long as the weather remains good, they don't "have" to leave.

Longer answer: The weather is good, the eating is good (it keeps flying by) so we could see them into October if the weather stays like this.  They will follow the prey, then leap frog them further south.  Peregrines can take a week to fly from Mexico to Wood Buffalo in northern Alberta but that I think is pretty quick.  I do know that one of the U of M chicks (one of T-Rex's) was last spotted in Winnipeg a month before it was spotted on a beach in Veracruz Mexico.  How reliable is that sighting?  The chick was observed by participants at an international peregrine falcon recovery meeting. They sent us a postcard with the bird's location circled on the photo of the beach.  Cracked me up actually.

The geese are moving but I don't know if they are staging here as the eating is good or if they are actually making concerted efforts to head south.  I found a real-time GIS mapping software on a hunting website, but so far no one has submitted any information on the migration yet - could have something to do with hunting season start dates which I don't know about, or something.  Its a new find, but I'm going to keep an eye on it as it looks pretty cool .... from what I read/see, its suppose to update every 15 minutes, so as long as folks submit data, the map should change frequently.  You also have a choice of things to look at i.e., all waterfowl, dark geese, light geese (I assume that's feather colour), puddle ducks, divers and teal.

Here's the link if you want to keep an eye on it too: Waterfowler.com's National Migration Mapping

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2601 on: September 13, 2008, 21:36 »
Tracy, what would you estimate to be the 'departure' date for Trey and/or Princess?  Last year, I think we saw activity well into September, but that was mostly Hurricane, Mistral & Chinook I think......

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2600 on: September 13, 2008, 14:46 »
With all the songbirds going through the week before last and now the geese, I fear we will see the last of Trey and Princess sooner than we would like ....  :'(
... until next spring.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2599 on: September 13, 2008, 10:36 »
Dennis drove by the Radisson yesterday and the day before and there was a bird sitting happily right on the nestbox on the west side of the Hotel.  With all the songbirds going through the week before last and now the geese, I fear we will see the last of Trey and Princess sooner than we would like ....  :'(

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2598 on: September 12, 2008, 22:17 »
Trey was around pretty much all day today, looking good. 

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2597 on: September 11, 2008, 18:55 »
A couple of brief sightings today - one on the nestledge, hard to be sure which!  We guessed Trey, but he usually likes to sit on the drain thing and she likes the edge.