Author Topic: Radisson - 2008 / Trey & Princess  (Read 292656 times)

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Radisson - May 2008 / Trey & Princess
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2008, 12:38 »
yes I really feel for them.  The wind has been constant, no relief, I hope when they switch  that they go and catch something to eat and go somewheres warm and dry to get a break.  I am worrying about those eggs, but Tracy says not to for a couple more days anyhow.  Someone posted  a link to another birdcam and I went and had a look.  Great camera view and there is sound.  One egg hatched this morning and I have caught a glimse of the chick.  So cute.  The difference in nesting sites is night and day.  These birds have cover.  Why oh why did Princess and Trey choose this location. Here is that llink.

http://www.greatriverenergy.com/ebc/birdcam.html

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2008, 12:27 »
Their dedication to those eggs is nothing short of awe inspiring. They are the best parents ever - I pray it ends well after all this adversity.  :-\

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20 »
Agh! Princess just got blown off and over twice in very little time. Two of the worst tumbles I've seen in the past few days. I actually wondered if she'd hurt her neck, wing, or leg.... She seems to look ok now though and is settled right down tight.  Oh, no she's moving into the most likely to be blown off position again!  Is injury a real possiblity in blow overs?  My heart goes out to these two adults!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 12:05 »
Yikes, Princess just got tumbled off the eggs again.  :o She really needs to change direction and face the wind!.... Poor girl. Well it makes for interesting viewing anyway. .. :P

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 11:46 »
yay, just got to see another shift change today. :)Princess back on and eggs looked fine.  Very windy. 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 11:39 »
For any of our out-of-town viewers, there is a link to Environment Canada's short-term forecast weather page for Winnipeg on the Peregrine Chick Blog if you want to know what is coming.  The weather here changes fast (nothing to get in the way here on the prairies don't ya know  ;) ) so I thought it would be helpful to have a fast link available somewhere kind of central.

Sunny with clouds here right now - 11:39 am.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 11:24 »
Thanks for the post Donna, and yes, probably naming the chicks before they are hatched is a bit early  ;D  though I'm sure you are far from the first person to start thinking about names.  And thank you for the suggestions, I'm not sure if I could avoid being a "mother hen" if I had a chick named after me!

As for contests, we have had a contest to name the chicks from school children and it took us a month to go through all the names!  Last year we had a contest on the Peregrine Chick Blog that was much easier to manage and had about 10x as many entries.   I'll have to see how we want to do it this year, though I will admit to that last year's method is very appealing. 

As for names for the chicks, if we choose last year's method, then I need to provide names.  Last year we chose the names of different types of winds from around the world.  And the winners were: Hurricane, Chinook (for males), Mistral and Taku (for females).  Going to have to think of suitable names for this year's birds so maybe I will solicit themes for names later.  And I do mean later, let's get them hatched first!  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 10:55 »
Its a good question Earlybird.  Basically it will be much like it is now at the start.  Today because of the wind and colder air temps, if the chicks I imagine you will barely get a glimpse of them.  Because the chicks can't thermoregulate (regulate their body temperatures) for the first 10 days, Princess and Trey will be all over them.  Tomorrow, if the weather forecast is correct, should be warmer and sunny and the parents will be more willing to get off them so long as they can be warm and dry.  Feedings will be your best chance to see it/them.

Offline Donna

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 10:19 »
Hi Tracy
I would like to thank you and everyone involved for all your hard work to bring this great event into our homes. I know my suggestion may be a bit early, but thought I'd post it now to give you some time to think about it and see what everyone else thought. I suggest that when it comes time to name the chicks you name them: Tracy, Radisson and Shaw. If that is totally out of the question, how about running a contest among the school children of the city? 
Donna

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 09:54 »
Finally some sunshine! - going to be cool and windy (of course) today and going below 0 tonight (ack) - but the rest of the week looks good... so......things are looking up! I hope the chicks can  wait til tomorrow to hatch!  8) Looks like Trey on now, I keep missing the shift changes!  :-\

Earlybird

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 08:45 »
I've been wondering, when they do start to hatch, will Princess or Trey stay sitting on the eggs?  Or will they get off to make room?
Just curious to know what kind of view us cam watchers will have.  :)

Earlybird

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 08:39 »
I was up before the sun this morning (don't know why, probably thinking about eggs hatching too much, lol), so I watched the sun rise with Princess (although I think she was still sleeping).  She looked damp at first but seemed to dry off pretty quickly.  She seemed a little more fidgety than usual, looking around and stuff, perhaps looking for Trey to come and take over after a wet and windy night.  Eventually she turned so that her back was to the camera a little before 8, and all of the sudden the wind flipped her up off of the eggs.  She seemed a little shocked (or maybe that was me), but got back on, this time facing the camera again.  Trey showed up at about 8:05 and settled in with his back to the camera, then sure enough the wind flipped him too!

Hoping for some nice weather today, but the forecast is saying it will be cool.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 07:04 »
Y'all are having way too much fun watching napping birds!   :D

I know I certainly am.  :D I watch my birds at home nap all the time.  LOL

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 00:23 »
It couldn't be any more miserable out there - unless it decides to snow!!!!! - Raining, cold and very windy - if these birds make it past this horrid weather I hope they never pick this nesting spot again! Can't see a thing now, way too dark but will be anxiously checking them out in the morning. Sleep tight our feathered friends - though I kinda doubt it.  :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 22:00 »
Glad you are enjoying yourself and that you are finding this all useful.  This is the first time we have tried a Forum to answer questions and so far so good.  But alot of that has to do with all of you - this would be a very quiet place without you all!