Author Topic: Radisson - 2008 / Trey & Princess  (Read 292604 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - May 2008 / Trey & Princess
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 21:51 »
It's pouring.  The winds are howling.  I feel SO sorry for them.  And I too wish they could just pick and move to the nestbox!  Let's hope they remember this from now on!!

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 21:34 »
Thanks Tracy for clearing that up. Been wondering sometimes when I see one  bird leap off the ledge and then another one show up front and center.  Until i could tell them apart, I always wondered if she just went for a (poopy) or something! and came right back, or was scaring off another predator.  But after watching non stop except to go to bathroom for a few days, I started realizing that what I was seeilng had to be the switch.. SO I read every thing possible on this website to learn more, and then some.  After reading how they were different around the head as well as size, I finally got confident enough to know who was on deck. I mean who is on the nest. lol. Now I feel very much involved and informed,, all thanks to you .. yahoo.. from Yoho.New Brunswick!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 21:28 »
Y'all are having way too much fun watching napping birds!   :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 22:00 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 20:34 »
* clap clap clap *

Congrats Pegger!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 20:00 »
Actually, Princess and Trey are pretty much equal partners when it comes to incubating.   Usually they trade off shifts - the incubator will get off the eggs and go fly off the ledge just to the right of the eggs and the other one will walk in from the bottom of the screen to take the next shift.  Occasionally Trey does bring food, but that usually happens earlier in incubation or when she's on duty and the weather sucks.  He comes in, drops the food on the ledge, she hops off the eggs and takes off with the food and he takes over.  She usually disappears for a couple of hours before relieving him on the nest.  Some days we watch Trey do most of the incubating, some days Princess.  Today it has been mostly Princess.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 19:54 »
Hey Doreen,

The best way to tell Princess and Trey apart is to look at their heads.  Trey has a full black cap.  Princess has some lighter coloured feathers at the back - makes me think of a crown which seems appropriate.  Also, she has a few white feathers over the bridge of her beak which Trey doesn't have, but you can't always see them clearly.  You can also look at their breasts but with the wind they are sitting flatter and it can be harder to see clearly.  Princess' speckles run almost up to her chin.  Trey has a full white breast.

Don't worry Doreen, it takes some practice but you'll be able to tell them apart at twenty metres by the time the chicks fly!

Peggeratheart

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 18:06 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MT3Uo6Oyo
This is a short video of Princess on the nest. For those who want to check out her "crown" this video shows it well.

I will likely post a few videos when I see something interesting.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 17:45 »
Well, it looks like the rain has started...let's just  hope its not too hard...and very brief...

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 16:10 »
Now why didn't think of that? :-[  It's still raining here but not as hard, however, we still have winds 37 gusting to 53.  Boy the birds here must be quite wet and hanging on beak and claw. LOL.

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 15:53 »

Boy this forum is making me crazy ???  Every time I go here and then back to the Falcon cam, whoever is sitting has changed position and I keep missing it!!!!

Same here....until I thought, duh....open two windows.... ;)..no rain yet...but looks like maybe the wind has picked up...

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 15:24 »
Thanks for the info, Liz.  If the Peg gets what we have been getting those kids are going to be drenched.
Boy this forum is making me crazy ???  Every time I go here and then back to the Falcon cam, whoever is sitting has changed position and I keep missing it!!!!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 13:46 »
So far so good  - a bit windy as usual but no rain yet!! ;D I could see the 'Nice' nest box from last year(which has shelter) on my way to work this morning & couldn't help wishing the whole family would just pick up and move up there!  ;)  ;D

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 12:54 »
Hi, Birdlover in Brandon.  It's on the east side of the building, and the view we have is facing north.  So they might get hit hard, poor things! 

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 11:42 »
It's raining quite hard here in Brandon, so I'm sure it's on the way to the Peg right now.  Pretty windy too. :o  The wind is high also coming from from the NE.  Which side of the building is the nest on?

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 11:13 »
With the forcast for today not being too great, I hope they wait til it's warmer and dryer and less windy before the babies decide to come out of those eggs!  :o