Author Topic: News: About Birds  (Read 19707 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: New York state turns out lights for migrating birds
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2015, 12:16 »
Finally!.....people are realizing after losing billions of birds to shut off the lights when no one is home.
It's a start with hopes that others will soon follow.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2015, 05:56 »
What a wonderful piece of news, thanks for posting dupre501. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2015, 23:00 »
This "Lights Out" program is such a great idea. I wish more big cities than were mentioned in the article would adopt the idea.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
New York state turns out lights for migrating birds
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2015, 15:23 »
On the CBC Technology & Science website

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/new-york-state-turns-out-lights-for-migrating-birds-1.3052171

Nighttime lights can disorient birds, make them crash into windows

Thomson Reuters Posted: Apr 28, 2015 1:04 PM ET| Last Updated: Apr 28, 2015 1:05 PM ET

On their arduous flights North to their breeding grounds, birds migrating up the U.S. East Coast will have one less peril to worry about - bright lights from state-owned and -managed buildings in New York.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Monday said that state buildings will turn off non-essential outdoor lighting from 11 p.m. until dawn during peak migration in the spring and fall.

The state is along the Atlantic Flyway, one of four major routes for birds coming North in the spring from their warmer winter hideouts.

To get here, many migrating species - including colorful warblers and other song birds - fly at night and navigate by the stars, using constellations to guide them.

But outdoor nighttime lights, especially in bad weather, can disorient the birds and cause them to crash into windows, walls, floodlights or the ground.

The phenomenon, called "fatal light attraction," has killed an estimated 500 million to one billion birds annually in the United States, the governor's office said, citing U.S. Department of Agriculture data.

Migrating birds even fly right through the towers and canyons of New York City. Earlier this month, a Chuck-will's-widow - a brown, nocturnal insect-eater with a lizard-like head so flat and large it can swallow small birds whole - spent several days just a few blocks from Times Square, perched atop a branch in New York City's Bryant Park on 42nd Street.

Now bright lights will be turned off by New York state during the spring rush north from April 15 until May 31 and again during the fall migration south to warmer climes from Aug. 15 until Nov. 15.

Lights Out program

By joining with the National Audubon Society's Lights Out program, the state buildings follow other well known structures that have also agreed to limit lighting, including Rockefeller Center, the Chrysler Building and the Time Warner Center.

"This is a simple step to help protect these migrating birds that make their home in New York's forests, lakes and rivers," Cuomo said in a statement.

Lights Out efforts are already protecting birds in the east coast cities including Baltimore and Washington, and in other U.S. metropolitan areas including Chicago, Minneapolis and San Francisco, according to Audubon.

Bird lovers can learn more about the Lights Out program by visiting the state's new website www.iloveny.com/birding.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: National Bird Project
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2015, 07:50 »
One last thought, in addition to the birds already listed, you can add your own personal selection, located at the bottom. After much thought, I wonder if I can add the name "The Peregrine Chick" to the list............... ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:01 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
National Bird Project
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36 »
Canadian Geographics is sponsoring a contest, National Bird Project, to designate an official bird for Canada by 2017, the country's sesquicentennial. Yes, the PF is there in the raptor category.  :)

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/nationalbird/

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: CBC article - photos of Manitoba breeding birds
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2014, 15:12 »
I love all of Dennis' photos.  I really, really wish I could take photos even half as good as his.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: About Birds
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 08:43 »
Climate change threatens birds, pushes them north
MSN News / CBC News 10 Sept 2014

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/climate-change-threatens-birds-pushes-them-north-1

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2014, 07:37 »
The thought that they would continue or "go bigger" is disgusting.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 14:41 »

You said that very well, Irenki.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 09:56 »
I find this horrifying and can't believe its allowed to continue even one more day.  Very disturbing to me how so many people really don't have any feeling about bird/animal life and all other aspects of nature that are a gift to us and a blessing to our lives.  I shudder at the thought of what this planet will look like in another hundred years. 
(didn't get my morning coffee today and I think its affecting me, I'm in a rage >:()

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2014, 20:17 »
Yes, very, very heartbreaking, to say the least. I do hope the "powers that be" are able to resolve this very concerning issue. :'(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2014, 20:39 »

This is heartbreaking news :'(

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2014, 20:08 »
That is terrible! The poor birds. :'(