Author Topic: Radisson - 2011 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 223372 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2011 / Sept to Dec
« Reply #4296 on: November 14, 2011, 09:23 »
Was checking the recorder to see if Sandy had come by to visit and what do you know we did have a visitor, but it definitely wasn't Sandy ... or her US male companion, or Princess or Ivy or or or ...

Bird came to visit on the 12th and thoroughly checked out the nestbox.  By size it was a female and it was a wild-hatched Canadian female - black band on one leg, silver band on the other.  Full black cap (no light coloured feathers that I could see), decent white breast but darker on belly than our males tend to be.

Bird was back this morning by the size of her at 0657h and she left little footie prints on the corner of the nestbox right over the outside box cam.  With luck she'll come back sometime today - and perhaps I will get decent look at her bands with the "zoom".

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4295 on: November 08, 2011, 22:14 »
Yup, it was Jazzerkins and I who had thought we had seen somebirdy on West Radisson. I think J said it was early morning on ledge next to the nestbox. It was later in the morning when I spied what looked to be a smallish bird (ie not as big as Sandy) almost exactly in the middle of the ledge where the nest box is situated, tail hanging over the edge (so not facing out) but not a really dark bird either. Of course with the naked eye, in dull light, colour can play tricks, but I'd say there was definitely a bird there.

Had a look at the recorder and I couldn't see anything but if it was early enough, its possible that the cameras' sensors just didn't pick it up.

If anyone sees anything, please do let us know - and I'll be sure to check the cams & recorder ...  :)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4294 on: November 08, 2011, 17:43 »
Yup, it was Jazzerkins and I who had thought we had seen somebirdy on West Radisson. I think J said it was early morning on ledge next to the nestbox. It was later in the morning when I spied what looked to be a smallish bird (ie not as big as Sandy) almost exactly in the middle of the ledge where the nest box is situated, tail hanging over the edge (so not facing out) but not a really dark bird either. Of course with the naked eye, in dull light, colour can play tricks, but I'd say there was definitely a bird there.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4293 on: November 08, 2011, 17:08 »
I believe they said the west side of the Radisson.  I went by today and did not see anything.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4292 on: November 08, 2011, 14:32 »
Yesterday at our dinner a couple phanatics said they thought they saw a bird somewhere around the Raddison.  If they said where I do not remember and they said it looked like a smaller bird or she was huddled down.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4291 on: November 08, 2011, 11:09 »
So much for thinking there might be a chance of overwintering by our little miss heart of darkness.
Obviously the increasing duration of darkness and cold that is a Canadian winter has scared off the American tourist.

Last time I saw any of the birds was on Friday the 4th - saw the bird on the sign below the nestbox and one quick visit to/into the nestbox late in the afternoon.  Since then, nothing I'm afraid, or at least not from my vantage points.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4290 on: November 08, 2011, 00:39 »
So much for thinking there might be a chance of overwintering by our little miss heart of darkness.
Obviously the increasing duration of darkness and cold that is a Canadian winter has scared off the American tourist.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4289 on: November 07, 2011, 23:35 »
Any "footprints" in the snow??

Nope, no one at all  :'(
Would even be nice to see little American footprints  :)

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4288 on: November 07, 2011, 15:08 »
Any "footprints" in the snow??

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4287 on: November 03, 2011, 08:58 »
0857h

One bird on the top of the northside Rogers Building logo.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4286 on: November 02, 2011, 20:57 »
Hope the interlopers aren't speculating on snitching Princess & Ivy's 'Digs' for next season!  ;)

It will be an interesting Spring.

Can't wait!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4285 on: November 02, 2011, 15:32 »
Hope the interlopers aren't speculating on snitching Princess & Ivy's 'Digs' for next season!  ;)

It will be an interesting Spring.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4284 on: November 01, 2011, 18:45 »
...she was here this spring as well using her feminine wiles on Ivy ... not that he was protesting much this spring or fall ::)...
LOL! Teenagers! ;) BTW, I happened to be returning home from an appt. via the downtown area last evening around 6:45 and was pretty sure I saw a bird sitting at the far end of the nestbox ledge.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4283 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09 »
Great to have an update on the nestbox drama! TPC, I know this contrary female has avoided showing her leg bands but, at this point, are you leaning toward thinking she IS Sandy or IS NOT?  ???  Nothing like having a mystery in our midst!

I'm pretty sure its Sandy from the appearance and a sideways V is not a very common occurrence on a band number.  There are a few but this is a bird that has been there every fall since she hatched and she was here this spring as well using her feminine wiles on Ivy ... not that he was protesting much this spring or fall ::)  Trey would never have been such a push-over!!  ;)

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4282 on: November 01, 2011, 10:07 »
Great to have an update on the nestbox drama! TPC, I know this contrary female has avoided showing her leg bands but, at this point, are you leaning toward thinking she IS Sandy or IS NOT?  ???  Nothing like having a mystery in our midst!