Author Topic: Radisson - 2011 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 223509 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2011 / Sept to Dec
« Reply #4281 on: November 01, 2011, 09:58 »
0955h

Just has a buzz around the nestsite via camera and one minute nobody is on the box, ledge, sign, Rogers sign, Hydro sign and then back I come to the nestbox and herself is sitting there giving me the evil eye and STILL not letting me see her leg bands clearly.  Haven't seen him on camera for awhile now.

Lots of waterfowl on the move, more than we have had for the last couple of weeks.  Not sure "Sandy" will hang around much longer, but it will be interesting to see how long she lasts!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4280 on: October 30, 2011, 14:31 »
Hope the interlopers aren't speculating on snitching Princess & Ivy's 'Digs' for next season!  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4279 on: October 28, 2011, 10:51 »
I'm just so pleased that there are still birds around!  I don't remember when the last sighting of a PF was last year...TPC, I know you'll have that info... :D

I think we are pretty much at the time when Sandy finally took off - she hung around for about a month last year as I recall.  I know that prey species (waterbirds, ducks) are very much on the move now, even though numbers are migration numbers seem to be low in Manitoba this fall.  And with the temps dropping to just below zero C at night, I suspect our "visitors" may not stay much longer.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4278 on: October 27, 2011, 18:34 »
I'm just so pleased that there are still birds around!  I don't remember when the last sighting of a PF was last year...TPC, I know you'll have that info... :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4277 on: October 27, 2011, 14:21 »
I am assuming you do not know the identity of these two birds who like the Raddison site.
Did Sandy show up again this fall?

We don't have full IDs because the birds are being only a little bit cooperative  ::)

The female looks like Sandy and her band number in part supports this - one digit is the same, haven't been able to read the digit on the green part of the band (bands are black over green).

Male is an American, from the Midwest probably and the digit on the black part of his band is visible but the green digit is difficult to read again.  There are alot of birds with his black digit so can't even make a guess at this point.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4276 on: October 27, 2011, 14:13 »
I am assuming you do not know the identity of these two birds who like the Raddison site.
Did Sandy show up again this fall?

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4275 on: October 27, 2011, 13:44 »
She's still there sitting on the "a", west side Radisson as of 1:30. Thought I saw him fly from the west side Radisson over to the Air Canada building at about 1:00 but not 100% sure.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4274 on: October 27, 2011, 12:28 »
1225h

She's still there (and yes, it is/was her).  She's very rufous on the breast, right up under her chin, so in combination with her speckles, she looks very dark on the breast in comparison with Ivy and her boyfriend and even with Princess much of the time!

She's moved to the north end of the sign up on top of the letters.  Looking at the ledge cam it looks like the fog is finally lifting/burning off so if you haven't been able to see her thus far, you should be able to now. 

Saw her boyfriend yesterday, haven't seen him so far this morning ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4273 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23 »
1019h

One of the birds is back, think our hussy given the very messy, only iddy-bit eaten pigeon a couple of letters away from where the bird is perched.  S/he's on the green slash under the letters on the west side Radisson sign - If I have the angle right, s/he's right at the south end of the slash for anyone looking out their windows or up from the street.  Its still very foggy everywhere, but I think folks should still be able to see him/her from the ground.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4272 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00 »
0859h

Both birds are on green slash under the west side Radisson sign having breakfast.  Or rather, she is having breakfast and he is looking pleased with himself.

Again, this bird is making a mess at Princess' nestsite  ::)

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4271 on: October 24, 2011, 21:13 »
Not absolutely certain but I think it was Madame who spent a winter in Winnipeg. :-\ TPC would know for sure.

I think you're right, Kinderchick.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4270 on: October 24, 2011, 20:43 »
...seems to me that we had a female do that a number of years back.
Not absolutely certain but I think it was Madame who spent a winter in Winnipeg. :-\ TPC would know for sure.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4269 on: October 24, 2011, 20:24 »
That would be so great, to have somebirdy stay for the winter ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #4268 on: October 24, 2011, 18:21 »
Perhaps we will be blessed with a bird that wants to mix it up with the Snowy Owls and spend the Winter in Winterpeg...seems to me that we had a female do that a number of years back.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4267 on: October 24, 2011, 13:14 »
I could not get in last week at all. i have been watching one on the west nest....Saw her a few times.....She has more golden colour in her chest.....love it......

That's our V female from the USA - her speckles come high like Princess and she has a dark rufous wash on her white breast feathers at the moment so it gives her quite a dark look on the front.