Author Topic: Radisson - 2011 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 227805 times)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Radisson - 2011 / Sept to Dec
« Reply #4266 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35 »
Somebirdy flying to and fro west side Radisson at about 11:20 this morning.

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4265 on: October 24, 2011, 10:58 »
I could not get in last week at all. i have been watching one on the west nest....Saw her a few times.....She has more golden colour in her chest.....love it......

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4264 on: October 23, 2011, 22:59 »
For some reason my comment was posted twice. Didn't know how to get rid of it so am altering it so that I don't look totally weird.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 23:01 by moka »

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4263 on: October 23, 2011, 22:58 »
Have been out of town for a good while.

Big thank you to everyone for all the news in detail. :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4262 on: October 23, 2011, 19:25 »
They're still here...
That's great to hear, Cooper. Thanks for the report! :D

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4261 on: October 23, 2011, 15:07 »
They're still here. Little Heart of Darkness on the logo, east side of the Hydro building and largish birdie on the "s", east side of the Rogers building. Ignoring each other? I kept an eye on them from 2:30 until 3:00. They didn't look like they were moving any time soon.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4260 on: October 20, 2011, 17:18 »
TPC, that was like reading a suspense novel!  I'm glad there are birdies interested in the spot -- it looks good for the future, of a returning pair.  Not ready for a totally new couple yet, tho. 

I'm not happy about a new BIG hotel being built one block NW of the Radisson.  I guess they had to get clearances for the Endangered Species Act, and hope the construction doesn't put any PFs off.   :D

Haven't heard anything about getting permissions ... as for putting off the birds, lets hope not.  Building the MTS Centre annoyed Trey & Madame and the nested on the ledge, lost two chicks and then she renested in the nestbox.  The Hydro Building didn't cause so much as a flicker with Trey and Princess.  May depend on the birds or the year or the whatever.  Might also depend on what is being built and how and when.  MTS is so much lower and the Hydro building was hard to miss.  We will just have to see ...

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4259 on: October 20, 2011, 13:53 »
1:30 p.m.  2 birdies on the hydro building again, east side . I'm not even going to pretend I know who they are. Mr. White Breast is on the logo this time and little Heart of Darkness is on the "b". No sign of my lump of bread dough.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4258 on: October 19, 2011, 23:55 »
TPC, that was like reading a suspense novel!  I'm glad there are birdies interested in the spot -- it looks good for the future, of a returning pair.  Not ready for a totally new couple yet, tho. 

I'm not happy about a new BIG hotel being built one block NW of the Radisson.  I guess they had to get clearances for the Endangered Species Act, and hope the construction doesn't put any PFs off.   :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4257 on: October 19, 2011, 21:03 »
Whew! So glad to hear that it wasn't Ivy with an American girlfriend, afterall. ;) LOL!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4256 on: October 19, 2011, 19:06 »
High drama at the Radisson!  Thanks for the interesting updates, TPC.  Guess we know who'll be taking over if/when Princess doesn't show up one year...which I hope won't be for a long, long time! 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4255 on: October 19, 2011, 16:38 »
Sorry, forgot to finish giving y'all the details from the cam last week ...

Oct 9 - Ivy in and out of the box in the morning but at 1645, he had a female guest with a black/green band that was not Princess.  She looks like Sandy who has come a'calling the last two Octobers and this spring before Princess arrived.  And yes, Ivy was as shameless as he was this spring, lots of head bowing etc.

Oct 10 - Ivy was the only one at the nestbox today and he wasn't calling out to anyone when he was there.

Oct 11 - 1330 Ivy and his American girlfriend were back in the box making goo-goo eyes at each other - lots of head bowing, talking and scrape making - all the same kinds of activities he did with her in the spring.  Ivy came back to the box a couple of times alone before the sunset but he was alone and he did some scraping and some sitting and didn't stay long.

Oct 12 - Again, Ivy was the only one at the nestbox today, more scraping, one short call to someone out of camera range and then he was off again.

Oct 13 - The American girl is back but the male I don't believe is Ivy, looks similar, but not quite.  They were there once in the morning, once in the afternoon.  Didn't stay long and didn't show me any leg to be sure.

Oct 14 - Same as yesterday but have confirmed that first number on female's band is a sideways V, but with the wind haven't been able to see the bottom digit(s) - its hard to see on the green anyway but with the cam shaking, there's been no hope.

Oct 15 - Back in the box twice today and can confirm that Ivy has left the party ... male has a white breast and nice black cap but its not our boy.  Got another quick look at the female's band again today and it sure looks like Sandy but I'm not getting a good enough look at the bottom number/digit to be sure.  Female has a breast like Princess' though, speckles that run high and a darker belly.  Managed to get the top digit on the male's band this after noon, black over green (so another American bird), top digit is an upright W but again no hope of reading the bottom digit.

Oct 16 - Birds were back only once today and hung out briefly before finding a nicer place to spend the day.

Oct 17 - Both of the American birds were back at 0730, 1215 and then just the male at 1645.  Lots of head-bowing and talking today.  No scraping though.  Ivy's the only one that has done that in the box so far.

Oct 18 - 0730 one bird (female I think) in the gloom of dawn perched on the box edge.  0950 male came in with food, followed by female, he didn't want to share and took off.  She hung out for about an hour on the box edge doing a bit of preening but only saw her band once - confirmed the sideways V but nothing else.  Both were back at 1540 and then again at 1620 then off to where ever they prefer to spend the nights.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4254 on: October 19, 2011, 14:44 »
Great spotting, Cooper, lump of bread dough or not! ;) So glad to hear a few are still around. :)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4253 on: October 19, 2011, 14:35 »
Two birdies on the Hydro building, east side, just settin' there from at least 2:00 p.m. until 2:30. Juvie on the logo. Ivy (I think because of white breast) on the "b". There may also be another on the Radisson west side, on the window ledge beside the nest box window. Eyesight wasn't good enough to discern bird features, may just be a big lump of bread dough for all I know.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4252 on: October 18, 2011, 17:38 »
Oct 9, Sunday afternoon of the big Jets game, two birds were chasing each other around the Hydro building.  Then later saw them soaring on the thermals.  Whoever is was, also stopped by the nestbox for awhile.