Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2011 / Beau & Jules  (Read 87595 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2011 / July
« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2011, 16:53 »
1651h

Polo is doing the rain wing-dance.  He's perched on the corner of the roof of the nestobx getting soaking wet and playing with his wings in the rain.  I should not that he is facing directly into the wind so the air is blowing over and under his wings, flying without leaving home so to speak.  Mom is directly behind him, in direct alignment with the wind but smart enough to keep her wings in and her tail down.  AT the moment, both of them (and the camera) are really getting buffetted by the wind.  The rain is kinda diagonal right now, occasionally horizontal.  Going to be a wet couple of birdies shortly.  Will be interesting to see how long until he goes undercover ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #468 on: July 23, 2011, 14:09 »
He's been up on the roof edges already and running about and since he's a solo, I expect he won't stay too long before he wants to follow after his parents.  Having said that, his parents are much more attentive than either the Brandon or Radisson parents - he's never gone more than a couple of hours without a parent 100ft or less from him.  Might make him hang around a bit longer, if one is around, he doesn't get as lonely as solos usually get.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2011, 14:02 »
37 days old -- hmmm. . . that first flight isn't far off. Great that the excessive heat has moderated some for him (okay, it's downright cool today).

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #466 on: July 23, 2011, 13:55 »
1352h

Little Polo is 37 days old and is currently napping on one of the sidepieces of the nestbox.  He's out of the wind for the most part and in the sunshine and looks very comfortable.   Jules is hanging out nearby, Beau was around a bit earlier and now is off-site or just perched out of camera range.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #465 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35 »
Thanks for the update leana.  Sure is great watching them isn't it.  When we were sitting there the other night before you knew it a couple hours had passed.  I am worried about Polo once he does fledge.  Too bad we can't tell him where to fly.

Great wish Moonstar. Imagine being able to guide all our fluffy ones safely in their first flights. Oh well, I guess if the peregrine moms can stand it, we should be able to, too. ;)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #464 on: July 22, 2011, 08:13 »
Thanks for the update leana.  Sure is great watching them isn't it.  When we were sitting there the other night before you knew it a couple hours had passed.  I am worried about Polo once he does fledge.  Too bad we can't tell him where to fly.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2011, 23:57 »
Diner at 6:00...dad just dropped off diner for Polo and he is still working on it...just before diner he was doing some wingersizing, so he has found his wings.
Wingersizing, you say, dennis? Yikes!  :o He'll be fledging before we know it. :)

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #462 on: July 21, 2011, 20:04 »
Guess who I saw tonight ;D ?  Hehe... yup, I saw Beau and Jules!  I was heading out to do some errands around 6pm so I made a very small detour to where I thought they might be and low and behold, there they both were sitting pretty as can be on the letters.  I'm not sure who's who, but one was on the S facing in towards the building while the other was on the R facing the other way.  They both looked like they were being buffeted pretty good by the wind! After a few minutes of watching (and one man coming up and asking me what I was doing) I headed off to complete my errands.  On my way back I took a different detour... same bird was still sitting on the S (I'm thinking it was Jules by size) and after looking around for a few minutes I happened to discover Beau (?) sitting on the corner of the building facing in... I'm fairly certain there was a little somebody  ;) on the roof below him and they were having a nice visit.  ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #461 on: July 21, 2011, 18:10 »
Diner at 6:00...dad just dropped off diner for Polo and he is still working on it...just before diner he was doing some wingersizing, so he has found his wings.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #460 on: July 21, 2011, 18:03 »
Photos by Dennis has encountered a PC hiccup and I'm working on retrieving contacts and photos  :'(...there will be more photos of the West Winnipeg Family coming soon I hope  ???
TPC does have a copy if all else fails  :)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #459 on: July 21, 2011, 15:36 »
Sorry, I was going to post early this morning, but work got in the way.
At 6:20 I saw Beau on the roof of the building and was so very lucky to see Jules playing in some thermals, circling and watching.
After 5 minutes I lost sight of her, but sure enough, as soon as I got going, I saw her on the same building, different corner. The two of them looked like majestic statues,
lucky me.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #458 on: July 21, 2011, 10:28 »
Great pictures, Dennis, as always! He's so cute and he does look young compared to our others. ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #457 on: July 21, 2011, 10:11 »
Around 9:30 this morning dad flew in and prepped a mid-morning meal...then the meal was delivered to a squawking Polo.
Mmm... lucky Polo! :)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #456 on: July 21, 2011, 09:51 »
Around 9:30 this morning dad flew in and prepped a mid-morning meal...then the meal was delivered to a squawking Polo.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #455 on: July 20, 2011, 20:59 »
Well it is hot as hadies here in Ontario too and I don't have AC.
OH no! :o Poor you, eagle! :'(