Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2011 / Beau & Jules  (Read 85745 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2011 / July
« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2011, 15:01 »
Any word on when this chick will be banded? :)

I have a strong feeling that TPC was at this site yesterday, the chick has been banded, maybe fitted with a transmitter and TPC, knowing the Radisson cam was watching Dollarama, thought she would make it possible to view the nest prior to announcing that the cams could/would be shut down on July 25th or sooner. That is why she IS TPC.  TPC, thank you so very much.

Actually Polo is still too young for a transmitter yet, but if we can safely get him when he is old enough, my understanding is that he is a candidate.

And sorry, yesterday I had no internet so ran long overdue errands instead :)
Like you need to apologize for anything. TPC! ???

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2011, 13:52 »

I have a strong feeling that TPC was at this site yesterday, the chick has been banded, maybe fitted with a transmitter and TPC, knowing the Radosson cam was watching Dollarama, thought she would make it possible to view the nest prior to announcing that the cams could/would be shut down on July 25th or sooner. That is why she IS TPC.  TPC, thank you so very much.

Actually Polo is still too young for a transmitter yet, but if we can safely get him when he is old enough, my understanding is that he is a candidate.

And sorry, yesterday I had no internet so ran long overdue errands instead :)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2011, 13:42 »
Thanks for the update.  Glad Polo is doing well.  Really looking forward to the photos.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #391 on: July 17, 2011, 13:14 »
Thank you TPC :-* for your post on our WW falcons. Welcome to your new home to our little guy, Polo.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2011, 13:13 »
Little chick has been banded - his name is Polo and he's doing very well right now.  Dennis has some photos of the banding that he will be posting shortly, so you will all get to see him soon - he's cute.

At the time of banding we had to move him to another building nearby (not the 2010 site), as he has gotten bigger, it was more and more dangerous for him roaming around at the old site.  It was also making Jules crazy and she was starting to take some big risks when she thought he needed defending.  They made the move like pros and already the adults' behaviour has returned to the way it was last year which is more how it should be.  They are still relatively quiet for peregrines, don't know if Jules picked that up from Ivy (who is making Princess quieter than she was with Trey) or whether she's quieter naturally.  In any case, they are much more vocal now and much less stressed.  Hadn't seen Jules and Beau hanging out together at the same place for more than a month, now they are together more often than not now, which is good for their pair bond.

Polo has a nestbox to use or to get under if he prefers as well as lots of safe space to exercise his legs and wings, and opportunity he didn't have at the old site.  Didn't take him long to take the ramp down out of the nestbox and start running around, it reminded me of the Radisson chicks and their rain dances.  We have cameras mounted but like every site, we can't see everywhere on the roof and at the moment, he's tucked himself down out of site.  We don't have a microphone at this location either so I can't hear him though we can occasionally hear him from the ground but it depends on the wind and urban noises nearby.  I'm hoping we do in fact get some rain today and the heat/humidity drops some, I'm sure he'll come out to visit with his parents, one of whom is always stitting on the roof edge.  

When Jules insisted on nesting where she did in 2009, I despaired of her common sense.  Watching her in 2010 I was impressed by how quick she picked up being a great mother.  This year I wondered about her common senses again but watching how quick she was to move with her chick, I realized that with a good nestsite she's a star, with a poor site she has to work too darn hard.  Hopefully next year she will choose from one of the two (hopefully soon three) sites we have for her in the West Winnipeg territory.

Thank you Tracy for the wonderful update about Polo. Sure glad he is doing well, and that Beau and Jules are also doing well.  :D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2011, 13:13 »
Great news on this little family!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #388 on: July 17, 2011, 13:09 »

I have a strong feeling that TPC was at this site yesterday, the chick has been banded, maybe fitted with a transmitter and TPC, knowing the Radosson cam was watching Dollarama, thought she would make it possible to view the nest prior to announcing that the cams could/would be shut down on July 25th or sooner. That is why she IS TPC.  TPC, thank you so very much.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #387 on: July 17, 2011, 13:03 »
Little chick has been banded - his name is Polo and he's doing very well right now.  Dennis has some photos of the banding that he will be posting shortly, so you will all get to see him soon - he's cute.

At the time of banding we had to move him to another building nearby (not the 2010 site), as he has gotten bigger, it was more and more dangerous for him roaming around at the old site.  It was also making Jules crazy and she was starting to take some big risks when she thought he needed defending.  They made the move like pros and already the adults' behaviour has returned to the way it was last year which is more how it should be.  They are still relatively quiet for peregrines, don't know if Jules picked that up from Ivy (who is making Princess quieter than she was with Trey) or whether she's quieter naturally.  In any case, they are much more vocal now and much less stressed.  Hadn't seen Jules and Beau hanging out together at the same place for more than a month, now they are together more often than not now, which is good for their pair bond.

Polo has a nestbox to use or to get under if he prefers as well as lots of safe space to exercise his legs and wings, and opportunity he didn't have at the old site.  Didn't take him long to take the ramp down out of the nestbox and start running around, it reminded me of the Radisson chicks and their rain dances.  We have cameras mounted but like every site, we can't see everywhere on the roof and at the moment, he's tucked himself down out of site.  We don't have a microphone at this location either so I can't hear him though we can occasionally hear him from the ground but it depends on the wind and urban noises nearby.  I'm hoping we do in fact get some rain today and the heat/humidity drops some, I'm sure he'll come out to visit with his parents, one of whom is always stitting on the roof edge. 

When Jules insisted on nesting where she did in 2009, I despaired of her common sense.  Watching her in 2010 I was impressed by how quick she picked up being a great mother.  This year I wondered about her common senses again but watching how quick she was to move with her chick, I realized that with a good nestsite she's a star, with a poor site she has to work too darn hard.  Hopefully next year she will choose from one of the two (hopefully soon three) sites we have for her in the West Winnipeg territory.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #386 on: July 17, 2011, 07:03 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2011, 14:44 »
Kinderchick did you not mean to say Beau and Jules.............West Winnipeg parents.  Or did I read you entry wrong?
Yes, thanks for checking, Ellie. My mistake, I did mean to say Beau & Jules. :-[ Trying to follow too many birds, I guess. ;) Interesting enough, one of the parents at the nest in NSW, Aust. is also named Beau.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #384 on: July 16, 2011, 14:40 »
While watching the Brandon boys as they interacted with each other today, I thought about the lone WW chick and felt a little sad for him/her, thinking what he/she is missing out on - the companionship that's so evident with the Radissons and the Brandons.  I'm sure that it's okay with WW chick as it is Nature after all, but still... :'(
Last year Kenzie was an only chick, Mac died before Kenzie fledged and she did fine until she had an unfortunate accident about three weeks after she fledged.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #383 on: July 16, 2011, 14:35 »
Kinderchick did you not mean to say Beau and Jules.............West Winnipeg parents.  Or did I read you entry wrong?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #382 on: July 16, 2011, 14:06 »
While watching the Brandon boys as they interacted with each other today, I thought about the lone WW chick and felt a little sad for him/her, thinking what he/she is missing out on - the companionship that's so evident with the Radissons and the Brandons.  I'm sure that it's okay with WW chick as it is Nature after all, but still... :'(
I know what you mean, susha. But Solo in NSW, Aust. did quite well this past year, even with an injured leg/foot and the parents did take very good care of him/her for quite awhile, long after he/she fledged. (She/he was never banded so I don't think they knew for certain if (s)he was male or female.) All this to say that Brooklyn & Hurricane seem to be good parents so I'm sure he/she will be okay, touch wood and talons crossed. :)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #381 on: July 16, 2011, 13:27 »
While watching the Brandon boys as they interacted with each other today, I thought about the lone WW chick and felt a little sad for him/her, thinking what he/she is missing out on - the companionship that's so evident with the Radissons and the Brandons.  I'm sure that it's okay with WW chick as it is Nature after all, but still... :'(

Good point, I never thought about that. That is sad. :(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #380 on: July 16, 2011, 13:21 »