Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2011 / Beau & Jules  (Read 84754 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
West Winnipeg - 2011 / May
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2011, 18:38 »
There has been no updates here since May 14.  Is there any new news on what this pair has decided to do.  Do they even know that box 2 exists? 
Too bad they are not able to pick last years site.  It was a good place for fledging...not too much traffic...quite peacefull.

We are a bit puzzled by this pair actually.  They aren't defending territory and are mostly not even around so we really don't know what they are up to.  No reports recently from suspected nestsites but it has been a bit so we will need to get access to the locations again very soon.

More news for y'all when we have it !

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2011, 15:33 »
I drove by there early this morning Moonstar. I saw one of them flying towards the building at the proper height for the bleechers. I didn't see him/her land, but 5 minutes later I drove by the exact spot and there was no one that was visible. Not sure if the bird flew away or landed on the bleechers, but I can tell you that I didn't see any pigeons there today.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2011, 14:49 »
There has been no updates here since May 14.  Is there any new news on what this pair has decided to do.  Do they even know that box 2 exists? 
Too bad they are not able to pick last years site.  It was a good place for fledging...not too much traffic...quite peacefull.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2011, 23:39 »
TPC thank you for answer on this. Did not know construction was scaring them from the site. Hope they decide to chose Box #2.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2011, 22:45 »
Well it is unfortunate that they didn't chose last years site. What actually binds them to a site? Last year they had a successful hatch, the year before a site that sounds similar to this year and wasn't good news. I know this switching has happened with the the Radisson birds from one side of the building to the other, but what is driving this pair? 

As to what binds a bird to a nestsite, it can be a building or success or something we don't know about.  They would have used last year's box this year if they could have but there is construction going on there so too much disturbance for a nesting pair. Hopefully with the site quiet again next year they will go back there - or use box # 2.

So are you saying that they have not chosen a nestbox, TPC, not the newer one or the older one? ???

So far it doesn't look as though they have chosen anywhere yet ... were we thought they were laying they weren't defending today when they should have been.  So we will have to go back on the hunt again.  If we are very lucky, perhaps they have finally decided to go to box #2 which they have been ignoring up to now.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2011, 20:50 »
They have moved their nestsite this year it looks like and the spot they have chosen is far from optimal...
So are you saying that they have not chosen a nestbox, TPC, not the newer one or the older one? ???

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2011, 20:44 »
Well it is unfortunate that they didn't chose last years site. What actually binds them to a site? Last year they had a successful hatch, the year before a site that sounds similar to this year and wasn't good news. I know this switching has happened with the the Radisson birds from one side of the building to the other, but what is driving this pair?

Offline Stormy

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2011, 17:43 »
TPC I think Stormy was referring to Beau & Jules being unsettled about the new birds. Could be mistaken, but sounded that way. ???

Sorry, multitasking at the time.  Don't think the other pairs are a problem as they are even further away from the WW birds than they are from the Radisson ones.  Beau and Jules are twitchy by nature though they are better.  They have moved their nestsite this year it looks like and the spot they have chosen is far from optimal and I suspect that is what is making them stupid, well more stupid, about nesting.  She was the same kind of twitchy in 2009.  In 2010, despite being the first bird back and getting a new man quickly, it too these two forever to nest.  Last year they laid between May 8-14th, so they aren't late just annoying :)

Yes - I meant Beau & Jules . . .  :) 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2011, 15:29 »
TPC I think Stormy was referring to Beau & Jules being unsettled about the new birds. Could be mistaken, but sounded that way. ???

Sorry, multitasking at the time.  Don't think the other pairs are a problem as they are even further away from the WW birds than they are from the Radisson ones.  Beau and Jules are twitchy by nature though they are better.  They have moved their nestsite this year it looks like and the spot they have chosen is far from optimal and I suspect that is what is making them stupid, well more stupid, about nesting.  She was the same kind of twitchy in 2009.  In 2010, despite being the first bird back and getting a new man quickly, it too these two forever to nest.  Last year they laid between May 8-14th, so they aren't late just annoying :)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2011, 13:33 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2011, 13:17 »
TPC - Do you think the new pair in town is making them so unsettled?

There are two new pairs in town and about 4 migrating birds recently but the answer is "no".  Neither Princess nor Ivy are any more unsettled than usual.  And Princess and Ivy look just like Trey and Princess when they were incubating together.  Can't say that they look like Madame and Pop/Simba/Trey but that was because Madame was an entirely different kettle of fish! 

The Brandon birds are about 10 days behind the Radisson and the only real difference is that the Radisson birds are bored in the box and keep looking for things to clean.  The Brandon birds have lots to clean but haven't really seen them doing much of it, perhaps they are waiting for the boredom factor to hit its zenith!

Offline Stormy

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2011, 12:45 »
TPC - Do you think the new pair in town is making them so unsettled?

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2011, 11:47 »
good, makes sense.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2011, 11:28 »
Still no word on Beau & Jules?  Shouldn't they have started laying eggs already?

We hope so.  They have been so unsettled over the last couple of weeks that we have backed off plans to disturb where we think they are/considering nesting.  We just want them to lay and start incubating and then we can do what we need to.  When they start incubating they are less likely to abandon the site - and from last year, we know they are good at their job once they get down to doing it.  Its just the getting down to do it part.

The cool wet weather is also a time we try to avoid bugging any of our pairs ...

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2011, 07:47 »
Still no word on Beau & Jules?  Shouldn't they have started laying eggs already?