Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2011 / Beau & Jules  (Read 85714 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
West Winnipeg - 2011 / June
« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2011, 20:01 »
And still two eggs as of this evening ...  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2011, 12:47 »
Still two eggs as of this morning ...

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01 »
Thanks TPC.  I hadn't thought about a visual inspection.   Fine cracks certainly would spoil the egg.   Hopefully the two eggs that "feel right" will produce two healthy chicks!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2011, 12:20 »
hope the 2 eggs hatch

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25 »
TPC I have a question............when you found the nest and put the eggs in the "tuppernest" you stated that you thought only two eggs were good.  How did you arrive at that fact?  Can you tell by the weight of the eggs at the time or is there a definite feel as to density of the egg?  Perhaps you answered this somewhere but If you did........ I guess I missed it!  Just a "need" to know kind of person ::)

No weights, no magical powers I'm afraid.  One of the eggs had a dent and a couple of fine cracks, the other had just the very fine cracks, both as a result of rolling and hitting something solid.  Its why we put the tuppernest in place.  With the gravel and the scrape in the gravel the parents don't causes the eggs to roll wildly away when the adult exits the nest quickly, usually in response to a threat or a perceived threat.  With the gravel, the eggs can't roll far no matter how explosive the departure.  I should also note that the two uncracked eggs just "felt" different in the minute or so I had them in my hands - nothing scientific, just an impression.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2011, 11:10 »
TPC I have a question............when you found the nest and put the eggs in the "tuppernest" you stated that you thought only two eggs were good.  How did you arrive at that fact?  Can you tell by the weight of the eggs at the time or is there a definite feel as to density of the egg?  Perhaps you answered this somewhere but If you did........ I guess I missed it!  Just a "need" to know kind of person ::)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19 »
Thanks for the updates on this nest.  Sure hope both eggs hatch.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2011, 09:42 »
As of this morning, Beau and Jules are still incubating 2 eggs ...

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2011, 19:45 »
Once again, these birds amaze me! Nature in general is so much more intelligent and complex than we humans realize.

These birds humble me with their tenacity. :)

Offline 2kawaii

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2011, 18:39 »
Very interesting.  Thanks Tracy.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2011, 17:53 »
Okay, TPC,I'm curious. So how does one make a site (assuming a roof top) unavailable ??? Or less desirable ???  Stand there 24/7 with a large sign saying "Peregrines not welcome" ??? ;D, make owl noises ???, or what ???

Basically yes.  Seriously though, you aren't wrong.  You just make the building too busy for the birds to be comfortable on or too difficult for them to access (the Kodak Building was off limits last year I believe as an example).  We did it last year at this site and it worked.  Didn't work this year.  This year the 2010 nest site has construction all over it, so its way to busy and in fact the birds have rarely visited it.  And we don't install a nestbox - the tuppernest is short-term and for use when they already laid eggs and we are just trying to up the odds of the eggs hatching.  We don't leave the tuppernests once they have served their purpose.

And we'd use signs if they could read and Cowboy and Kate ignored recordings of peregrine defence vocalizations at the CSC this year.

Oh and one other though, do they have any coverage at this site or is the tuppernest out  in the open like it was on east Radisson?

They aren't in the open at all at this site, most certainly not like the 2010 site.  This one they are squirrelled away under cover behind obstructions but because they are so short, their view is relatively unobstructed once they get on the nest.  Don't ask me how they found this location but they did ...  ::)

Offline 2kawaii

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2011, 17:40 »
They would have used last year's box this year if they could have but there is construction going on there so too much disturbance for a nesting pair. We hoped they would use penthouse nestbox # 2 but no.  Hopefully with the 2010 site will be available in 2012 - we are going to do our darndest to make this year's site unavailable next year.

Okay, TPC,I'm curious. So how does one make a site (assuming a roof top) unavailable ??? Or less desirable ???  Stand there 24/7 with a large sign saying "Peregrines not welcome" ??? ;D, make owl noises ???, or what ???

Oh and one other though, do they have any coverage at this site or is the tuppernest out  in the open like it was on east Radisson?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 17:42 by 2kawaii »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2011, 20:36 »
If you have been watching the "Chick Pile" for some time or if things are slow...why not check out Peregrines 2011
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2011

Or for some newly uploaded photos of the WEST WINNIPEG Birds
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_wpg_2011

Cheers !

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2011, 20:23 »
So glad to finally hear some news of Beau & Jules. :) Here's hoping their remaining 2 eggs are viable.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2011, 19:23 »
TPC is there any chance of some pictures/screen shots of the WW birds from the camera you get to watch...please.

Perhaps Moonstar, problem is the location itself and security/privacy issues.  We also have some electronic distortion which isn't a problem as we are using the equipment to monitor rather than share.  But I will see what I can do, best promise I can make I'm afraid.