Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 167468 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / November
« Reply #2335 on: November 05, 2011, 14:41 »
I don't think it's going to be much of a winter storm, but you never know.  ::)   If I can't get one after the weekend, I will the next time it snows.  I'm sure we won't have to wait very long for that though!!   ::)

Just keep your fingers warm and your camera safe - we will need them both next year!!  ;D

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2334 on: November 04, 2011, 22:28 »
I may have to return to Brandon just to check out the new nest box!  And mebbe get RCF to take me to the tower nest?  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2333 on: November 04, 2011, 17:46 »
I don't think it's going to be much of a winter storm, but you never know.  ::)   If I can't get one after the weekend, I will the next time it snows.  I'm sure we won't have to wait very long for that though!!   ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2332 on: November 04, 2011, 10:53 »
Hey RCF - I understand that Brandon its facing its first winter storm this weekend - first, that sucks; second, when you are back in town after the weekend, if there is snow on the box, do you think you could get a photo or two for me?  I have started collecting photos of nestboxes with snow on/in them, they look so quiet and lonely waiting for the peregrines to return.  But freeze your camera-shutter finger, we need that all ready to go for next spring  ;), particularly if we should get very lucky and Brandon should have two pairs of peregrines!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2331 on: November 03, 2011, 20:11 »
Wow! That is so much bigger!  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2330 on: November 03, 2011, 09:17 »

Here's a comparison of the old roof and the new roof which is probably the easiest way show how the box & the covered area on the box have increased to give the birds more protection.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2329 on: November 02, 2011, 19:47 »
Perhaps we should have put a little Smiley Face on the side of the nest box   ??? ???
or Kilroy was here ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #2328 on: November 02, 2011, 19:45 »
Perhaps we should have put a little Smiley Face on the side of the nest box   ??? ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2327 on: November 02, 2011, 18:07 »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2326 on: November 02, 2011, 17:53 »
RCF has a photo of the new nest box and perhaps will post the photo for the forum folks.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2325 on: November 02, 2011, 15:29 »
Can't wait to see the photos of their new home.  Thank you for doing that for them  :-*

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2324 on: November 01, 2011, 21:05 »
We have photos that we will be posting shortly of the new box and as Dennis said, we have a couple of additions we'll be adding in the spring when we go to set up the cameras.  The broomstick (yup, that's all it is) may be added along with a "railing" around two sides to give the birds a bit higher edge. 

Looks just like the old box, just brand new!!  :)  No sense changing something that has been very successful for the peregrines!  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2323 on: November 01, 2011, 10:07 »
We have photos that we will be posting shortly of the new box and as Dennis said, we have a couple of additions we'll be adding in the spring when we go to set up the cameras.  The broomstick (yup, that's all it is) may be added along with a "railing" around two sides to give the birds a bit higher edge. 

As Dennis said we left about 0700, had everything up to the roof just before 1000h and didn't leave until after 1600h.  And the box was pre-made so that there were only three pieces to assemble in place! The tower site box went up up much quicker - less than an hour start to finish.  Sure is easier (and faster) when working from a ladder isn't involved!! 

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / October
« Reply #2322 on: October 31, 2011, 19:35 »
Seasons change and the birds leave for the winter only to return again in the spring...wonder if the Brandon birds will notice that they have had some Fall Renos done ??
The nest box was full of many,many,many bird body parts and my 1st. thought was to bag and sell on eBay !

Yes Rose, you are correct the birds have a new nest box and it's missing the perch...when we left at 7:00 am it was still dark and Dennis missed putting the top rails and perch into the truck  :-[
They will be added in the spring when we visit again.

One thing that we did notice was the number of Pigeons flying safely around downtown Brandon...enjoy it for now !

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / October
« Reply #2321 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56 »
I see a bright New Wooden ??? ??? has been miraculously added to the East side of the Mckenzie Building sometime in the last few days but where's the Perch bar?  TPC and Dan, guess you've beat the snow. This morning a thousand Pigeons are gathered all around waiting to try it out. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:58 by Rose »