Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 167402 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / October
« Reply #2305 on: October 04, 2011, 19:28 »
I saw Hurricane on the west light of the clock tower this afternoon...........no sign of Brooklyn since Sept 28th.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / October
« Reply #2304 on: October 01, 2011, 16:05 »
I haven't seen Brooklyn for a few days, so maybe he has gone south.  I did see Hurricane on the top north ledge of the Scotia building.

Hurricane

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / September
« Reply #2303 on: September 28, 2011, 20:42 »
I saw both Hurricane and Brooklyn today, he was at the bottom of the clock tower and Hurricane was perched on the north side of the nest box.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2302 on: September 27, 2011, 18:52 »
I didn't see Hurricane, Zeus or Alice today, just Brooklyn.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2301 on: September 27, 2011, 15:36 »
What a funny visual that is!  "You go..."  "No, YOU go..."  "No, you!", etc.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2300 on: September 27, 2011, 13:42 »
Migration

And yes, Rain & Rosser have migrated - they left about a week ago and a couple of days later one had just reached South Dakota (Rain since he was seen last?) and the other was on the border of Nebraska (Rosser by default?).  They are using a straight route south have been moving fast ...

I suspect that Zeus & Alice and Brooklyn & Hurricane will all leave about the same time - that way they prevent each other from "visiting" each others' nestsites ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2299 on: September 25, 2011, 20:14 »
Brooklyn and Hurricane are still here.  I have not seen or heard either of the two kids for seven days now, so they must have migrated.

Brooklyn

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2298 on: September 22, 2011, 01:14 »
Its entirely possible that one of the boys (Rosser) in this case would have taken off early ... it happens frequently that one bird is just gone - Hurricane is a case in point, we saw her only twice after fledging.  Obviously she was still around and reliant on her parents until she could hunt on her own but she had the wanderlust first and it did her no harm whatsoever.  Radisson and Alley I think both had the same urge.  I've been watching the hawk migration stats and there are alot of peregrines on the move, so it is entirely likely that the boys' feet are itching to go. 

As for Hurricane and Brooklyn, they are the resident pair in Brandon and more experienced so they will leave when they are good and ready.  Last year at the Radisson, Sandy from Fargo turned up and then she was back this spring with an eye to taking over the Radisson nestbox - hanging out and defending your territory in the Fall could well mean less conflict the following spring from younger interlopers.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2297 on: September 21, 2011, 23:37 »
Would Rosser have migrated already being as how you haven't seen him?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2296 on: September 21, 2011, 21:08 »
I have only been seeing Hurricane and Brooklyn since the 17th of Sept. The last time I saw Rosser for sure was Sept 2nd and the last time I saw Rain was Saturday the Sept 17th.

Hurricane

Brooklyn

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2295 on: September 19, 2011, 13:45 »
Thanks for the great pics and wonderful to hear that they are still around. I guess it won't be long before they head off on their southern adventures.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2294 on: September 17, 2011, 22:15 »
Good spotting RCF!!!   And, thanks!   ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2293 on: September 17, 2011, 21:42 »
I have seen both Brooklyn and Hurricane since Wednesday, but only one kid and I am pretty sure its Rain from looks and his bent aerial.  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2292 on: September 15, 2011, 19:41 »
On Monday and Tuesday morning I saw three falcons, not sure if I saw two kids and a parent or one kid and two parents because its too dark in the morning to tell one from the other when they are flying overhead.  Yesterday afternoon I saw a kid perched at the bottom of the clock tower napping and he looked like he had a very full crop.  :)  This morning there was a kid on the MTS communications tower who I believe is Rain because the aerial on the transmitter he is wearing has a little bend at the end of the aerial (like he backed into something and bent the end). I could see this with my binoculars. I only saw Hurricane on the Scotia building after work today.

Kid at bottom of clock tower

Rain on mts tower (I lightened the picture)

Hurricane

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2291 on: September 11, 2011, 11:49 »
Great photos, rcf! :-*