Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 159540 times)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / March
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05 »
Is there any new information on the Brandon birds?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 09:25 »
... I phoned the Brandon animal control number which ( I hadn't noticed) takes you to the police non-emergency number.  I ended up voicing my concerns....
That # is 1-204-729-2345, but I wish I'd had a direct number.  There is an email address
a.control@brandon.ca., but I didn't send anything to them. 

Thanks for this info, des.  :-* I will e-mail my concerns too.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 18:30 »
City of Winnipeg bylaws do (or did up to a few years ago) allow shooting within the city limits for pigeons, but there is usually only one or two people who are good enough shots to become qualified to get the requisite permits and permissions.  And I believe they are required to shoot for a very short period of time immediately after dawn when there is only a remote chance of danger to humans.

Given a choice between poison and shooting, the poison is perhaps more indiscriminate and probably more of a risk to the peregrines. 

But I have passed along a message to my contact with the provincial government in Brandon to ask what has happened in the past about pigeon control downtown ... and whether this time of year is usual.  Will let y'all know what I hear ...
Thank you TPC

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 18:19 »
Well - somebody seemed to think they could be used as seagull control at the landfill.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 18:17 »
And here I was thinking that Peregrines WERE Pigeon control!!!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 18:02 »
City of Winnipeg bylaws do (or did up to a few years ago) allow shooting within the city limits for pigeons, but there is usually only one or two people who are good enough shots to become qualified to get the requisite permits and permissions.  And I believe they are required to shoot for a very short period of time immediately after dawn when there is only a remote chance of danger to humans.

Given a choice between poison and shooting, the poison is perhaps more indiscriminate and probably more of a risk to the peregrines. 

But I have passed along a message to my contact with the provincial government in Brandon to ask what has happened in the past about pigeon control downtown ... and whether this time of year is usual.  Will let y'all know what I hear ...

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 17:04 »
There must be a city bylaw about shooting inside city limits. I don't think the developer could just authorize it on his own - he'd probably have to get permission from the city. Having said that, it's only too apparent that some are all too ready to shoot first and ask questions later, as we've found out.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 16:49 »
This is very upsetting.  I sure hope this person did not shoot the Peregrine Falcon that appeared there last week.

I just sent an e-mail to the e-mail address that Des posted in an earlier comment.

Maybe if we all send an e-mail it will stop them from shooting birds.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 14:46 »

OMG!!! :o Why is he doing that?! :o Doesn't he know that there is a peregrine falcon nestbox on the side of the building?! :o No wonder you aren't seeing any peregrine falcons!!!  ::) :P I sure hope this doesn't compromise the location of this nestbox!  >:( Do you think this is because construction is about to begin on the McKenzie Seed Bldg. in order to convert it into condos? ??? Do you think the developer authorized this action? ??? >:(
[/quote]
Please let us know ASAP about this TPC.  I phoned the Brandon animal control number which ( I hadn't noticed) takes you to the police non-emergency number.  I ended up voicing my concerns.

That # is 1-204-729-2345, but I wish I'd had a direct number.  There is an email address
a.control@brandon.ca., but I didn't send anything to them. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 13:55 »
No blanks!!  Rose heard the shots hitting the glass window and saw him pick up the dead pigeons he shot.  >:(

OMG!!! :o Why is he doing that?! :o Doesn't he know that there is a peregrine falcon nestbox on the side of the building?! :o No wonder you aren't seeing any peregrine falcons!!!  ::) :P I sure hope this doesn't compromise the location of this nestbox!  >:( Do you think this is because construction is about to begin on the McKenzie Seed Bldg. in order to convert it into condos? ??? Do you think the developer authorized this action? ??? >:(

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 12:09 »
Is he shooting blanks to use noise as a means of scaring off the pigeons?

No blanks!!  Rose heard the shots hitting the glass window and saw him pick up the dead pigeons he shot.  >:(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 11:51 »
Is he shooting blanks to use noise as a means of scaring off the pigeons?

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12 »
Checked down town about 9:30 no pigeons no falcons just the animal control officer shooting pigeons off the window ledges of McK Bld.I guess that was why there were no birds to be seen. I reminded him that a falcon had been seen on the 21st in the area of said building.I don't know the bylaws re this situation so I'v sent a pm to TPC >:(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 12:50 »
Waiting for any sign of your falcons, rcf & Rose! ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 21:10 »
...no peregrines today.  :'(

Well, if there are peregrines hanging around, rcf, I feel confident that you and Rose will locate them! ;) ;D

I keep checking  :)   and we didn't see any peregrines until April 3rd last year.