Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 166862 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / April
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 17:12 »
Great photos, rcf and black band is sounding good! 8)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 17:08 »
Great catch RCF!!  :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 16:44 »
Checked on our birdies today, saw the male in the nest box scraping.  He then flew over to the MTS tower where the female was and I saw some hankypanky  ::)  :-* :D   I did notice he has a black band on his right leg when he perched on the nest box.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03 »
I could only drive by today because my other half was with me and he hasn't been assimilated yet.  ::)

LOL!  :D Yes, rcf, as you & Rose may recall, from my trip to the west coast last summer with my "other half", assimilation is very important! ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2011, 22:54 »
I'm sure you guy's will grab a band # soon  ;)

More than likely it will be Dan who confirms their identity, we can't get close enough to get detail on the bands.  ;)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 19:37 »
I'm sure you guy's will grab a band # soon  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 18:44 »
And no, I'm not being a party pooper.  Ask Dennis, I do this to him, and his photos, every spring when the birds first come back and we haven't got band numbers yet.

No problem TPC,  I know the rules about band numbers.  :D ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 17:47 »
I was reading the NEWS on the forum main page about having three pair of falcons nesting this year and I believe the female is Hurricane.   :)   Photo's taken at slightly different angles.  Looks like the same birdie to me.  ;)

My first response is that you were looking at the bird RCF so you have the best guess ... however, if I were answering that question from the two photos, I would be saying "might be".  Why you ask?  It could just be the lighting, but the belly markings on the bird in the top photo look darker and denser and the cap looks fuller.  But I say again, could just be the lighting, top photo is darker and the bottom photo has the light shining directly on the bird's breast/belly which could be punching up the whiter bits.

And no, I'm not being a party pooper.  Ask Dennis, I do this to him, and his photos, every spring when the birds first come back and we haven't got band numbers yet.

So to reiterate, until we have band numbers, I'm willing to say that we suspect they are Hurricane and Brooklyn from last year - but keep taking photos RCF!  No need to post them all here, but do put them in your gallery on Photobucket and we'll keep whittling away at her/their ID.  And if there should be another coup this year, you will have photographic proof of who else came a calling.  ;)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 17:35 »
I was reading the NEWS on the forum main page about having three pair of falcons nesting this year and I believe the female is Hurricane.   :)   Photo's taken at slightly different angles.  Looks like the same birdie to me.  ;)

Looks like the same bird to me too!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 17:40 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 16:57 »
I could only drive by today because my other half was with me and he hasn't been assimilated yet.  ::)    

LOL... ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 16:07 »
I was reading the NEWS on the forum main page about having three pair of falcons nesting this year and I believe the female is Hurricane.   :)   Photo's taken at slightly different angles.  Looks like the same birdie to me.  ;)

May 13th 2010

April 5th 2011

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 15:02 »
I could only drive by today because my other half was with me and he hasn't been assimilated yet.  ::)   I did see both birdies, one on the east light and one on the south light. Couldn't tell who was who, but the one on the south light was right up against the wall trying to stay dry. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2011, 19:58 »
No he won't have to come back, the peregrines put a "No Parking" sign on the roof for the pigeons.  ;D
Good! LOL! ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2011, 18:04 »
Great photos, RCF. 

I hope the gun guy does not come back and scare them off.

He won't have to come back, according to our man in Conservation, the peregrines have been terrorizing the pigeons since they got home!!  :D

No he won't have to come back, the peregrines put a "No Parking" sign on the roof for the pigeons.  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 17:44 »
Great photos, RCF. 

I hope the gun guy does not come back and scare them off.

He won't have to come back, according to our man in Conservation, the peregrines have been terrorizing the pigeons since they got home!!  :D