Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson  (Read 40723 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2011, 00:05 »
Oh, Elaine, I am so sorry to hear that it was such a rough evening, for birds and humans alike. :( All I can say is that my heart goes out to all of you and hopefully, there will be some sign of the birds tomorrow. Do you suppose they may have all been tucked in somewhere, out of the rain? :-\ Maybe they found shelter some place that wasn't visible to you.  :-\ I'm trying to remain hopeful. I thought that TPC has said that they don't fly around in the rain.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2011, 23:43 »
We had a perfectly miserable time of it tonight.  From the time of my arrival about 7 p.m., Yellow Boy and Dad had been missing for over an hour, and Peter was looking for Yellow Boy while Becky and Dave kept an eye on the others from the top of the parkade.  Red Girl was on top of the Extension Building on my arrival, Blue and Mom were on Windsor Tower.  Peter returned - no sign of Yellow or Dad.  Then, it started to rain, not rain, but pour.  I went to look for Yellow again as Peter was fagged out, but no sign of him, and when I returned to the parkade, Peter went out again, and it just continued to pour, we could not see anything, we were beyond soaked.  Dave had to leave, then, while Becky and I watched, Red Girl decided to leave her perch, she hovered around College Plaza, thought about landing on Windsor, but gave it up and headed back behind the Extension Building, and we could not see her anymore, so I went down to look for her.  She was perched on the back, and finding her was the best news we had tonight.  Meanwhile, Blue flew over to the CSB and Mom went to the top of the heart institute.  I got back to the parkade, and shortly after Red Girl took off and headed for the CSB, where she safely landed on the top corner, which we were so happy to see.  Then, some guy apparently goes out on the roof of the CSB, and mom went into full alert mode, swooping and screeching.  All I could think of was Scout (in Columbus, Ohio) and what if some some janitor was up there with a broom, so this was an awful moment.  While this was going on, and what was especially worrisome, is that Dad did not appear, as he usually does, to help out with the attack.  Where was he?  Then, the guy left the roof because shortly after, we saw someone looking out the window one story down, but by this time Mom had disappeared.  It was now almost dusk, we were all soaked, cold, and miserable, and now Mom, Dad and Yellow were missing.  Peter was down on the ground looking for mom, we were all desperate for a sign of the missing falcons, we could hardly see by this time as it was almost dusk.  As I left, Peter was still on the ground, and Becky was trying to see any sign of them before it got really dark.  Leaving like this was so discouraging, we just don't know where we are at.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2011, 22:19 »
Sorry bev.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2011, 22:16 »
bev, I know how much you care about them all, every year.  Sorry. 

Offline ESP Chickita

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2011, 22:11 »
So sad to hear about the loss of Green Girl. We have been following your brood along with all of the others, always so heartbreaking to hear of something like this happening. Sounds like all of the others are doing well, while missing their sister. Thanks for the updates...

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2011, 21:42 »
Hi, Leana.  I think it's a safe bet that most places don't name them -- they try not to humanize them too much. 

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2011, 20:08 »
I am new to reading about our Edmonton kids and I was wondering why they are not given names? 

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2011, 15:30 »
Boy, you've got a busy airspace!!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13 »
Good thing the parents know that the helicopter is no threat.  Wouldn't want them attempting to chase that away!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2011, 10:09 »
What an interesting evening. So glad to hear that the other 3 seem to be doing well. :-* As you say, BB sounds to be going through an adjustment period, if he had been close to GG. Bravo to the parents for fending off the bald eagles! ;D That must have been quite a sight for the fledgewatchers!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2011, 10:02 »
Bev, Peter and Bob reported last night on the BCAW Forum that the three chicks are doing fine, there were no mishaps.  Red Girl is flying much better now, and when her brother, Yellow Boy, plays tag with her, she can now give as good as she gets, so she is much stronger than when I was there on Tuesday evening.  They say that Blue Boy is also flying well, but he is more subdued, likely because he was very close to his sister, Green Girl, and is coping with the loss as best he can.  Peter figures Blue Boy will be a great flyer when he really gets going.  The watchers last night had quite an eventful night, though, as four bald eagles ventured into the territory, and our parents went after them, hitting them repeatedly until they left, and then there was a police helicopter hovering in the area for some time, plus the air ambulance landed on the heart institute and everyone was worried because the chicks were on top of this building, but apparently they were fine with this, and shortly thereafter decided to play tag again.  The night ended well, and we hope the same for tonight.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2011, 18:54 »
So sorry to hear about Green Girl.  :'(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2011, 18:17 »
I'm so sorry, Bev and Elaine!  Such sad news.

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2011, 18:05 »
Such very sad news.  Fly free GG... hope you meet up with our little Fyfe.   :-* :'(

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2011, 16:17 »
sorry to hear about Green Girl.  Hope the rest do well.