Author Topic: News: Woodpeckers, Nuthatches & Chickadees  (Read 9798 times)

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: News: Woodpeckers, Nuthatches & Chickadees / 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52 »
Thanks, Des. Unfortunately, noise did not deter the birds, even ringing the bells didn't scare them off. Because of the height of the spire, the amount of the damage wasn't recognized at first, and the morning after the first seven or eight holes were patched, three more , including one through a patch, appeared by noon.These were determined birds! The repair consists of taking off the top part of the spire (requiring a special crane because of the height), bringing it down to the ground to repair and replace the supports inside, cover the outside with metal and then with shingles. We are wondering if there might then be a new breed of woodpeckers - with crumpled beaks from trying to peck through the metal........

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:36 »
Found this doing a quick google search.  No doubt other sites.  No doubt you've looked and passed on the info - but just a suggestion...
http://www.ag.purdue.edu/entm/wildlifehotline/pages/woodpeckers.aspx

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 16:50 »
One would suspect bugs, but we had someone check, and no insects were found. Apparently it is sometimes part of the courtship ritual, or they were birds who were just destructive because they could be.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 16:48 »
I know that "piliateds" can dig giant holes in trees but never thought they would be so destructive to a man made structure. It makes you wonder what the attraction to that particular site is???

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:52 »
Piliated woodpeckers are not exactly welcome sights to a few of us. A pair have done serious damage to the spire of our church (2x6s ripped down to 3/4"). As fast as holes weere replaced, they ripped through them, and even got inside and caused more damage.
We are looking at an estimated repair cost of $26,000. Not our favourite birds at the moment!
OMG! :o That is not good at all!

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 23:36 »
Piliated woodpeckers are not exactly welcome sights to a few of us. A pair have done serious damage to the spire of our church (2x6s ripped down to 3/4"). As fast as holes weere replaced, they ripped through them, and even got inside and caused more damage.
We are looking at an estimated repair cost of $26,000. Not our favourite birds at the moment!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
News: Woodpeckers, Nuthatches & Chickadees
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 18:27 »
Ran from Winnipeg Beach to Gimli today and saw the following along the highway (#9):
1 lone snow goose flying low and honking furiously
1 bald eagle
2 blue jays, these are the first I have seen out there this year
There were noticeably more birds songs than 2 weeks ago when I ran out there so spring is certainly in the air.
We usually see flickers out there at this time of year but none yet

Anyone wanting to see piliated woodpeckers, there has been 1 (maybe 2) hanging around the horse stables at Birds Hill Park all winter. My daughter and I were lucky to see one a couple of times this winter when we were out cross country skiing.